Iris F-15 Eagle

Thread: Iris F-15 Eagle

Iris F-15 Eagle

I have the Iris F-15 and fooling around knowing by adding a tail hoof in the aircraft.cfg file you can land on an aircraft carrier. So I went for and found that the Iris F-15 actually has a working tail hook built in the model. I read that a real F-15 does not have aircraft carrier capability. Though it is pretty cool not realistic. Just wonder if anybody else caught this and why Iris added the working tail hook.
    I have this texture for my Iris F-15. This one was at the 2012 Reno Air Races!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle.jpg  
    Last edited by uniform7; July 4th, 2015 at 13:38. Reason: Forgot the picture!
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

The tailhook is for emergency arrested landings and for engine testing.

A carrier landing would tear the hook and the landing gear right off. Or at least severely damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by uniform7 View Post
    I have the Iris F-15 and fooling around knowing by adding a tail hoof in the aircraft.cfg file you can land on an aircraft carrier. So I went for and found that the Iris F-15 actually has a working tail hook built in the model. I read that a real F-15 does not have aircraft carrier capability. Though it is pretty cool not realistic. Just wonder if anybody else caught this and why Iris added the working tail hook.
    I have this texture for my Iris F-15. This one was at the 2012 Reno Air Races!

Guess I got the picture in the first time. Didn't mean to do it twice.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

As Patful said, the tailhook is mainly there to stop the aircraft if the brakes fail. All runways that aircraft like these operate from have arresting gear running across the end of the runways; it's a chain that the tail hook catches and as the aircraft rolls out more and more chain is unspooled and the airplane drags the chain. This change in energy from the aircraft the chain gradually slows the aircraft a few thousand feet down the runway. It's a much lower acceleration than what a Navy aircraft undergoes landing on a runway.

Having said that, I have seen an F-14 use this system at a local airport sponsoring an airshow when the F-14 lost one of its hydraulic systems and it had to use the emergency arresting system to land safely.

Members who have read this thread: 0