PBY beached during filming of movie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBY beached during filming of movie

PBY beached during filming of movie

I wasn't even aware of another movie about the USS Indianapolis being made, but I read about it today in the Pensacola News Journal. Nicholas Cage stars in it. There is a PBY featured, and apparently it started taking on water near the beach. NC

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/milita...bama/29575781/

Movie prop or full flyable PBY?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Am not sure, but I'm positive more info will be released. NC

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Too bad to hear about that Catalina, but a fair number of us Southerners have spent a few number of hours at the ol' watering hole "Flora-Bama"

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    Too bad to hear about that Catalina, but a fair number of us Southerners have spent a few number of hours at the ol' watering hole "Flora-Bama"
    The last time I visited that bar was in the early 90s. I don't live that far from it now, but don't like going to tourist spots like that now. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Absolutely real and flyable. Well, at least it is when not full of water...

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N85U
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Forgot to mention that I collect books about the tragedy of the USS Indianapolis (CA-35). I think I have copies of every book written about it, including one called "Goodbye Indy Maru", by Katherine D. Moore, who's husband was one of the Indianapolis crew who perished.

I order most most of my books, used, off the internet. They're usually in quite good shape, and in this case, I was pleasantly surprised to find this book was actually signed by the author.

I am originally from Indianapolis, where there is a memorial for that ship. NC

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Absolutely real and flyable. Well, at least it is when not full of water...

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N85U
    Yeah, evidently it is... or was.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Conversation about it on the Warbird Information Exchange forum is that the nose gear doors are a problem area on PBY's for letting water in. This particular PBY has been a common sight around Arlington Airport and Paine Field, north of Seattle.

were they trying to beach it?..i mean why were the gear down?

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I wasn't even aware of another movie about the USS Indianapolis being made, but I read about it today in the Pensacola News Journal. Nicholas Cage stars in it. There is a PBY featured, and apparently it started taking on water near the beach. NC

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/milita...bama/29575781/
    Shame about the Cat, unfortunately the film will be a dud........Nicholas Cage is the kiss of death for any production!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Shame about the Cat, unfortunately the film will be a dud........Nicholas Cage is the kiss of death for any production!
    I dunno. If the part he is playing calls for deadpan, space filler acting, then it might still be good.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

i liked alot of cages early work..like moonstruck and silverado (one of my favs)and i watched him in a movie about Wyatt Earp last night and i have to say i enjoyed it,but i also couldnt help thinking he was trying to be quiet cool like Clint Eastwood in those spagetti westers (which i love,the good the bad and the ugly is a fav as is two mules for sister sara)but he doesnt cut it...Tom Sellic is much better at it in movies like Monty Walsh.which if you havent seen that,its worth it..good movie..

ummmm whats this thread about??

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Yeah, evidently it is... or was.
    The absolutely utter irony is that this aircraft is normally used as a fire bomber! She's supposed to carry a large load of water...

...but not - obviously - in the nose gearbay!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

SOH-CM-2023
    Did somebody forget to put plug in t'hole?
    Keith

In the movie Firebirds, all I could think of was what a greasy mess the inside of that helmet must be.
    I guess he couldn't deal with cutting his hair short for the part so he had gobs of grease to pack it down.

So if you are in the market for movie memorabilia and someone is trying to sell you Cages helmet from firebirds, look inside.
    If there are a couple of quarts of oil sloshing around then it is probably legit.

I know the movie, "Con Air" was hokey, but I still loved it. NC

"Put the bunny back in the box...."

Sadly, the PBY broke up during the salvage attempt. The aircraft is now a total loss......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Sadly, the PBY broke up during the salvage attempt. The aircraft is now a total loss......
    Oh my, that is such a shame! NC

The Seals had saved the aircraft! Broke up when others tried to yank it out of the water with a crane.

http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/ar...c0ceb15d3.html

Shame.

Dick

why do i feel angry when i read that it broke apart?...my god theyve been salvaging ships that have sunk let alone many many sunken pleasure boats,why would they attach whateve they did and try to just lift it?..who was doing this?..where were the buoyancy bags ect?..why didnt they use them to raise it and then float it right up onto the beach?..did the local government idiots decide it could be beached?...i usually dont complain about situations like this because i know that 90% of the time the people doing the work are professionals . but whove these jokers were didnt have a clue...try to lift something like a plane (they are delicate )out of water,with it half full of water is a recipe for failure...i hope the owner of the plane sues them until the movie company has to just fold up and go away....or atleast get a judge to give the owner millions of dollars of every movie they ever make from now on.

end of rant...thank you for lissinin...

Hi Dave.

You would have thought someone would have had a dim idea of what they were lifting... aluminum. You just can't hook onto it without it tearing. Did they even bother to pump out the tons of water in it? Apparently not.

You nailed it on the head. Airbag it, and float it to the shore until it can properly be removed to a hangar for repair.

Dick

It is apparent that this particular salvage company had no experience dealing with safe aircraft recovery.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Yep, sounds like they called a salvage company that dealt with boats, not aircraft. I don't think the PBY was ever intended to be lifted from the water by a crane. What a shame.

Step 1) Install wide lifting bands around wings at the wing root.
    Step 2) Pump out all water possible while gently and slowly lifting aircraft out of water.

The choice of where to lift is a no-brainer. What supports the aircraft while flying?

Note where they are lifting the aircraft from the Hudson River:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y194973751808016.jpg  
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Members who have read this thread: 0