Selecting addon aircraft for campaign missions?

Thread: Selecting addon aircraft for campaign missions?

Icon5 Selecting addon aircraft for campaign missions?

I've noticed that most of my downloaded addon aircraft do not show up in the dropdown box when selecting an aircraft for campaign missions. Any idea of what causes this, and is there a fix?

The strange thing is that a few do... the stock Flight 1 Pearl Harbor P40 (from Flight 1's "Pearl harbor" addon), as well as a few (but not all) of the CFS2 AI aircraft that I have converted to be player flyable in the game.

What gives?

P.S. I've Googled this problem/question for quite some time, but have only stumbled upon 1 or 2 people asking about this, but with no answers.

Question Reply...

Rich,

Can you verify first that the aircraft DO show up normally in free flight? And can you also list which aircraft do not show up?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Rich,

Can you verify first that the aircraft DO show up normally in free flight? And can you also list which aircraft do not show up?
    Yes, all of them are displayed and selectable in Free Flight and Quick Combat mode. Here is a list of all of the player-flyable aircraft that I have installed (the ones marked with an asterisk are the only ones that show up for campaign missions):

(* FOLDER_NAME = "Aircraft Name / Alternate-Additional Aircraft name")

* A6M2_ZERO = "A6M2 Zero"
    A6M5_ZERO = "A6M5 Zero"
    B737_400 = "FS2000 Boeing 737-400"
    B777_300 = "FS2000 Boeing 777-300"
    Beech_King_Air_350 = "FS2000 Beech King Air 350 "
    Bell206b = "FS2000 Bell 206B JetRanger"
    Bf109e = "CFS1 Messerschmitt Bf 109E"
    Bf109g = "CFS1 Messerschmitt Bf 109G "

C182 = "FS2000 Cessna Skylane 182R RG" / "FS2000 Cessna Skylane 182S" / "FS2000 Cessna Skylane 182S IFR"

* CFS2AI_B24d_Liberator = "CFS2AI B-24D Liberator"
    * CFS2AI_B25d_Mitchell = "CFS2AI B-25D Mitchell"
    * CFS2AI_B5n2_Kate = "CFS2AI B5N2 Kate"
    * CFS2AI_C47_Dakota = "CFS2AI C-47 Skytrain"
    * CFS2AI_D3a1_Val = "CFS2AI D3A1 Val"
    CFS2AI_G4m2_Betty = "CFS2AI G4M2 Betty"
    CFS2AI_Ki43iib_Oscar = "CFS2AI Ki-43-IIb Oscar"
    CFS2AI_P39d_Airacobra = "CFS2AI P-39D Airacobra"
    * CFS2AI_Sbd2_Dauntless = "CFS2AI SBD-2 Dauntless"
    * CFS2AI_Tbd1_Devastator = "CFS2AI TBD-1 Devastator"
    CFS2AI_Tbf_Avenger = "CFS2AI TBF-1 Avenger"
    Concorde = "FS2000 Concorde"

* Curtiss_P-40B_Tomahawk_II = "Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk II" / "Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk II (Flight One Panel)"

Extra300 = "FS2000 Extra 300S"
    * F1_PH_P40 = "Flight 1 Pearl Harbor P40"
    * F4F4_WILDCAT = "F4F-4 Wildcat"
    F4U1A_CORSAIR = "F4U-1A Corsair"
    F6F3_HELLCAT = "F6F-3 Hellcat"
    Fw190a = "CFS1 Focke-Wulf Fw 190A"
    Hurricane_I = "CFS1 Hawker Hurricane Mk I"
    Lear45 = "FS2000 Learjet 45"

Mooney_Bravo = "FS2000 Mooney Bravo" / "FS2000 Mooney Bravo IFR"

N1K2J_GEORGE = "N1K2-J George"
    * P38F_LIGHTNING = "P-38F Lightning"
    P47d = "CFS1 Republic P-47D
    P51d = "CFS1 North American P-51D
    Schweizr = "FS2000 Schweizer 2-32 Sailplane
    Sopcamel = "CFS1 Sopwith Camel
    Sopwith_Camel = "FS2000 Sopwith Camel
    Spitfire_Mki = "CFS1 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I
    Spitfire_Mkix = "CFS1 Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX
    Last edited by RichNagel; June 30th, 2015 at 02:55. Reason: speeeeeelling

Something's desperately wrong here -

A6M5_ZERO = "A6M5 Zero"
    CFS2AI_G4m2_Betty = "CFS2AI G4M2 Betty"
    CFS2AI_Ki43iib_Oscar = "CFS2AI Ki-43-IIb Oscar"
    CFS2AI_P39d_Airacobra = "CFS2AI P-39D Airacobra"
    CFS2AI_Tbf_Avenger = "CFS2AI TBF-1 Avenger"
    F4U1A_CORSAIR = "F4U-1A Corsair"
    F6F3_HELLCAT = "F6F-3 Hellcat"
    N1K2J_GEORGE = "N1K2-J George"

these are stockers, & you're now saying you can't select them in Mission Builder? I think you have to describe just what you did to make these planes flyable.

Usually, if you install an add-on plane, the most you have to do is add a sound file to make it appear in the aircraft selection list. Seeing these all appear in FF & QC menus, I can't understand what's preventing them from showing in the Mission Builder aircraft selection drop down list.

Icon22 Reply...

Rich Nagel,

I can't imagine why you are seeing these, but the only aircraft you should be able to see on a stock install are the F4U, the F6F, the F4F, the P-38, the A6M2 Zero, the A6M5 Zero, and the Nakajima N1K2_J. You should also see the P-40 addon from the Pearl Harbor pack.

All of the other CFS2 aircraft are AI, and should not be seen.

All of the other files are either CFS1 addons and/or FS addons and should be junked.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Just some clarification:

All of the "CFS1, "CFS2AI", and "FS2000" aircraft I added myself to CFS2.

The "CFS1" and "FS2000" aircraft simply needed to be copied over from my CFS1 and Flight Simulator 2000 Pro installations to get them to work in the game.

The "CFS2AI" aircraft are the non-player-flyable AI aircraft that I modified a single byte in the ".AIR" files with a hex editor (to allow them to be player-flyable), and then copied the modified files to new directories... changing the names of the new directories, and the aircraft themselves, to prevent any conflicts with the stock AI aircraft.

Note that the reason for the copying mentioned above, is that I didn't want to modify the stock AI ones (so that I could fly them), potentially causing problems for the AI, so I 'made new' aircraft from the stock AI ones for my own use to fly. Of course, I also had to add a generic panel for each one for them to be player-usable.

Lastly, I'm not talking about adding and selecting them within the mission builder... all of the aircraft that I listed I can use and add using the mission builder, and play them in custom hombrew missions as well.

What I'm referring to is when playing a campaign game itself.

For example: I'm currently playing the stock Japanese and US campaigns that come with game, and before actually starting a mission, I can't select any of the aircraft other than the ones marked with an asterisk (the others don't even show up in the 'select aircraft' menu, before actually flying a mission).

Note that I can play single missions, and before starting the mission select ANY of the aircraft in the list.

(EDIT) P.S. Here is an old message (one of the two) that I dug up over in the archives at flightsim.com from 11 years ago, but it had no replies:

Quote Originally Posted by irmurray View Post
    Hi there,

I want to try modern aircraft in some of the CFS2 campaign missions, but there
    appears to be some sort of date function in CFS2 that prevents newer aircraft
    from appearing until the the campaign date passes the aircraft's "in service"
    date (e.g. the Corsair and Hellcat are not available for early missions, but
    become available later in the campaing).

Some of my add-on aircraft from WW2 appear as available, but the more modern
    ones don't appear as options in the campaigns ... how can I fiddle it so that I
    can use these newer planes? They do work in Quick COmbat and Single Missions,
    but not in the Campaigns.

I've had a look at the AIR and CFG files, but nothing obvious in there!

Thanks for any tips.

Iain.

Hi Rich,
    The date of service in found in the DP file.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Rich,
    The date of service in found in the DP file.

Regards,
    B24Guy
    MANY MANY THANKS, B24Guy! THAT was the ticket

I had a hunch it was due to some sort of 'tech tree' in CFS2, but I had NO idea where the data was located.

Thanks again!

@All, in the aircrafts' DP file, under the "[MISC_DATA]" section:

entered_service=##/##/##

##/##/## (date)

...and of course, the actual campaign mission date has to be after the "entered_service" date

(EDIT) P.S. @All (re: the AI P-39D Airacobra, making it player-flyable), I **LOVE** flying that aircraft... although my two strategy guides give it a really bad rap (the strategy guides list it's pros and cons when the AI are flying it; when you, as a player, are confronting them as enemies, or using them as wingmen).

Members who have read this thread: 1