OT - Anyone have a spare $3,200?

Thread: OT - Anyone have a spare $3,200?

OT - Anyone have a spare $3,200?

The Collings Foundation has come to town with their B-17, B-24, B-25, and dual control P-51C. One hour of dual instruction in the P-51 going for a measly $3,200. At least I can dream, right? (I can also accept donations!) I am at least planning on making the pilgrimage to the airport and paying for a tour of the insides. I'm particularly excited about getting in the B-24, haven't had the chance to climb inside one of those yet. While I'm there, does anyone want pictures of anything in particular? Was it Ted who had a B-17 in the works?

Take lots of pics of all the bombers interiors! Its not often you get to go inside!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    The Collings Foundation has come to town with their B-17, B-24, B-25, and dual control P-51C. One hour of dual instruction in the P-51 going for a measly $3,200. At least I can dream, right? (I can also accept donations!) I am at least planning on making the pilgrimage to the airport and paying for a tour of the insides. I'm particularly excited about getting in the B-24, haven't had the chance to climb inside one of those yet. While I'm there, does anyone want pictures of anything in particular? Was it Ted who had a B-17 in the works?
    Is there anything like a funding site or a make a wish foundation, where you could seek some extra $$? It would sure be a dream!

Sure would be. I wasn't being serious though. But I will be taking pictures, and I'll post them here. Speak soon if you want something specific, otherwise it will be whatever catches my eye.

Nice! You could try a crowdfunding rally - say it's necessary for your formal education or something similar .

If you will be taking pictures, I think taking them of instruments and controlboxes that are not regularly covered, would be a great idea. In one of those old threads that surfaced in the past few days, Ted mentioned he has a partially finished B-17 on his HD? Maybe such piccies would help in him finishing it.
    Oh, and bring along a small L-shaped ruler like forensic detectives and carpenters use. Great for judging the dimensions of the stuff you photograph... Take 'em head on and not at an angle, so they can be used as a reference for the modellers.

Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy the day!!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Ok Joost, you've convinced me. An hour in a P-51 is an absolutely vital part of my education and development as a person in general. Now to convince everyone else...

Great tips on the pictures, I'll do that. I also plan on taking some oblique shots of skins and other surfaces so we can better understand how to use the new bump mapping feature of Ankor's shaders to get realistic results.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    The National Museum of the Air Force here in dayton town has a virtual tour where you can see the cockpits of the Aircraft in the collection if you need cockpit photos you can find many here.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/vir...r/cockpits.asp

And also have a virtual tour of all the aircraft for those online.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html

Members who have read this thread: 0