Old Airmen - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Airmen

59 here. I suppose I qualify as a "Silver Back" but alas, my hair left my head when I was 40!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Odie, that's about the age my wife says I am. She's most likely correct as I'm a firm believer that growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional .

Happy early Birthday to you Delta_Lima.

RD

Thanks RD - missed seeing you around for a year or so - nice to see you're back.

cheers,

DL

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks RD - missed seeing you around for a year or so - nice to see you're back. cheers, DL
    Hey! I really appreciate your missing me. No problems I just got away from FSX sim flying for awhile. Got really into RC flying. That interest has "peaked" now.
    Kinda like all hobbies I suppose.

RD

Blog Entries
    Hey! I really appreciate your missing me. No problems I just got away from FSX sim flying for awhile. Got really into RC flying. That interest has "peaked" now.
    Kinda like all hobbies I suppose.

RD
    How could I not. You're good peeps. Spent a lot of time on business travel down in GA, MS, and NC over the years - have a soft spot in my heart for Southern US folks. The negative broad-brush generalisations one sees in the media are often wrong. And the food ... ... any people group who has "barbecue" as a food type (a noun, not as a verb, the way we in Canada understand it!) gets my respect. Yum!
    Happy July 4th (a few days early, but going away for our July 1st national holiday, so better early than later)

dl

I feel myself something like 40.

The papers say I am 68.

My wife regard me as 12 year old boy especially while I am flying FS.

I'll keep my mouth shut...
    But I have a lot of respect for you older airmen. I know a lot of people around me around the average age in this thread who don't even know how to fire up a PC...
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Flew my first solo in a J-3 in 1957 a couple of weeks after my 17th. Hard to believe that my 78th was a couple of months ago.
    One thing I have noticed about my age group: Women seem more interested in us, especially nurses and widows.

The average age in here is down to 55.52 years now.

Well, Bjoern, it's good to see that you are gainful employed.( Written with tongue firmly in cheek. ) I have a first cousin who is 74 and still works as the circulation manager for a paper in Austin, Texas. Looks like you have a future.

Maybe if my retirement check is late, I can get a loan from you....
    That was ten years ago, around my graduation from school.
    With a job like that, I couldn't even pay my rent now...

(And besides, it was just the sunday edition of the country's biggest tabloid. So I didn't even do anything to further people's education. But they paid well, at least. *Ahem*)

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Young man you are messed up LOL!!! I hope I live long enough to see you get to this age...I can hardly wait...By the way thanks for all your hard work on that L-39 Albatross!
    Well, if you up the dosage of vitamins and make it through 100 years, you might have a chance.

About the L-39, glad you like it.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    That was ten years ago, around my graduation from school. With a job like that, I couldn't even pay my rent now...(And besides, it was just the sunday edition of the country's biggest tabloid. So I didn't even do anything to further people's education. But they paid well, at least. *Ahem*) .
    Bjoern, I guess that's a NO on the loan then huh?

RD

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj Kong View Post
    Flew my first solo in a J-3 in 1957 a couple of weeks after my 17th. Hard to believe that my 78th was a couple of months ago.
    One thing I have noticed about my age group: Women seem more interested in us, especially nurses and widows.
    Not too sure about the women, but one does get to make acquaintances with lots more people......usually with a medical Doctorate speciality!
    First flight with my father in 1946 - Auster.....1st Solo 1957....Tiger Moth.
    Keith

Bjoern, I guess that's a NO on the loan then huh?
    Well, I can lend you $20 if it helps, but I want $50 back in two weeks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, I can lend you $20 if it helps, but I want $50 back in two weeks.
    My friend, that's an offer I believe I can refuse... (I wish this thing ran in the other direction but, you get my meaning.)

RD

There is a saying.

A young man will fight you just to fight. An Old man will kill you just to save the energy.

We do have a lot of older members. I guaranty us young pups will miss you all when it your time. But its not time yet.

Happy be-lated Birthday.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Oddly enough I am active on two forums with great age disparity; SOH and ProMods. The average age at ProMods is 15, although most of us on the staff are over 18 at least.

At sixty-six, I'm evidently the ancient granther of the group.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

My friend, that's an offer I believe I can refuse... (I wish this thing ran in the other direction but, you get my meaning.)
    Let me implore you to reconsider.

Now where did I leave that chopped off horse head...?

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Oddly enough I am active on two forums with great age disparity; SOH and ProMods. The average age at ProMods is 15, although most of us on the staff are over 18 at least.
    It's always odd popping into their forums and seeing your posts there. Like "Wait, Bill has a life outside of flight simulation?".

(And I'm still bummed that every new version of any map add-on requires the Scandinavia DLC.)

Average (thanks, Bjoern!) member here at age 55...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

[QUOTE=Bjoern;963552]Let me implore you to reconsider. Now where did I leave that chopped off horse head...? QUOTE]

AH! Classic movie...."The Godfather." I've lost count of how many times I've watched it over the years since its original release.

Now for all you youngsters here at the Outhouse, there is one thing that seems to happen to our fluid memory as we get older. We tend to forget rather easily things that we have recently learned. I've just discovered that again this week at least for myself. I wanted to do a little revision to one of my sceneries. Well....darned if I hadn't almost completely forgotten how to use SketchUp, ADEX, and Model Converter. After several revisions, however, I finally have the changes I wanted to make. I never did get my night textures to look exactly like I wanted, though.

Now where did I put that payment I owed Bjoern? I hope that's not him knocking on my front door.

RD

Now for all you youngsters here at the Outhouse, there is one thing that seems to happen to our fluid memory as we get older. We tend to forget rather easily things that we have recently learned. I've just discovered that again this week at least for myself. I wanted to do a little revision to one of my sceneries. Well....darned if I hadn't almost completely forgotten how to use SketchUp, ADEX, and Model Converter. After several revisions, however, I finally have the changes I wanted to make. I never did get my night textures to look exactly like I wanted, though.
    Sometimes, I wish I could forget the countless unfinished projects piling up on my hard drive. But instead, they are firmy lodged into the back corner of my brain like tumours. *Groan*

60 going on 38

(61 in December.) Two years ago the government (US) sequestration cost me my job, so I've been on a semi-permanent sabbatical since. Funny thing about a job....I'm busier now that I don't have one! I haven't flown FSX much since winter ended early here in Minnesota, but I look-in on you "old farts" every now and then. Keep up the good work OLD guys...stay healthy. (If you have any interest and get a chance, stop by and see my HO scale train blog / store at http://trainstore.j-traxtrains.com/ . This is one of the things that has been taking up my time. It is more blog than store right now, but I have lots of inventory still to add. Thanks.)

P.S. Wife says it's time to vacuum. See what I mean by busy. I guess I need to find my inner cowboy!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Average Age

WOW!!!! I'm not only a rookie but I'm a younger one! I've been trying to find a teenager around town to teach me some of the tricks in FSX and flight sims. Maybe I should raise my sights a couple of decades. I also took a ride at an early age (J-3 Cub, dirty, ragged, noisy and wonderful!) but that didn't translate to becoming a pilot. After 24 years service I do qualify for the "Crimson Hemorrhoids" from flying in various military aircraft without the usual passenger comforts.

I'm very proud and pleased to belong to such an outstanding group and I hope to someday know enough to contribute something useful or at least pretty.

Old Airman

Charter Member 09

UFO

You guys kind of make me feel old. I'm still kicking around here at age 87. Haven't posted much lately. I can't offer much to you jet jockeys
    Still flying with FSX and belong to UFO, United Flying Octogenation.
    Monday I'll be getting a new Computer a nice new Motherboard with a hot CPU, a superclocked video card and 16 MB of RAM. I can hardly wait.

Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

It took a couple sets of calculator batteries to get to 67 and climbing.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    You guys kind of make me feel old. I'm still kicking around here at age 87. Haven't posted much lately. I can't offer much to you jet jockeys
    Monday I'll be getting a new Computer a nice new Motherboard with a hot CPU, a superclocked video card and 16 MB of RAM. I can hardly wait.

Helldiver, you must be the senior (naval) aviator on the forum. Damn glad that you are with us and look forward to many more years of your inputs to this site.
    John
    ATC USN Ret

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    HD! Good to see you. Hope all is well with you.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Old and Bold

Hats off to you, Old Airman Thank you for your service to this Country. At 77 I think flight sim has kept me younger. Has kept me out of the bars and off the streets. As a kid (about 4) I remember watching Lockheed test pilots putting the new P-38's through there paces flying over my house in Glendale, CA. In 1946 I remember seeing some of the first P-80's flying over Lynwood, CA. Then, my solo flight in an old Luscome 8A at 18, was 12 Dec 1956, what a thrill, flying out of an old dirt strip, Kenmar now Jabarra airfield near Wichita, KS. SEL PPL out of Gulfport, MS. Flights in T-33 and T-6 out of Mconnell AFB while in KSANG. 20 years in USAF as a Controller. The older I get the more I LOVE aircraft! SOH has given me a lot of knowledge about flying and even more important is all the FUN it's been with being on line with all you wonderful folks! Thank you all!

sb
    p.
    CAN YOU HEAR ME, NOW?

Members who have read this thread: 1