FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen!

Icon22 FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen!

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an up to date FM-2 Wildcat for use in mid-late 44 -end of war. The one I found flies great but is a bit out of date visually.The dark blue skin is appropriate but is marked for one pilot/squadron and the cockpit needs some detail.Just wondering if I have missed out on a more up to date one? Thanks.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Bub's reworks of Gramps' FM1/2

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an up to date FM-2 Wildcat for use in mid-late 44 -end of war. The one I found flies great but is a bit out of date visually.The dark blue skin is appropriate but is marked for one pilot/squadron and the cockpit needs some detail.Just wondering if I have missed out on a more up to date one? Thanks.

Hi there!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=52&id=18576

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=52&id=17898

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=52&id=17587

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Thanks for the "tip of the hat" on the FM-1/2 Kelti. Dasuto, go over to Simviation and search under Bob McGee. There are a bunch of FM-2 repaints there for different squadrons and pilots. "Mah Baby" is the complete aircraft, the rest are repaints. I agree that the aircraft could use some updating. the VC and some of the modeling need some work. Overall its a nice aircraft and flies well. A little TLC and it can be brought up to "modern" standards. A couple of weeks ago I went to Reading Pa. for the MAAM WW2 airshow and gathering, the FM-2 that was there was buzzing around and appeared to hold its own with its peers. it was quite impressive. Also, maxstuka did some updates to provide breaking parts.

Bub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150606_201016.jpg   1287693917.jpg   1289952409.jpg  
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Thanks for the "tip of the hat" on the FM-1/2 Kelti. Dasuto, go over to Simviation and search under Bob McGee. There are a bunch of FM-2 repaints there for different squadrons and pilots. "Mah Baby" is the complete aircraft, the rest are repaints. I agree that the aircraft could use some updating. the VC and some of the modeling need some work. Overall its a nice aircraft and flies well. A little TLC and it can be brought up to "modern" standards. A couple of weeks ago I went to Reading Pa. for the MAAM WW2 airshow and gathering, the FM-2 that was there was buzzing around and appeared to hold its own with its peers. it was quite impressive. Also, maxstuka did some updates to provide breaking parts.

Bub

Thanks, found the skins.I agree the plane is a great model, just needs some updating.Love the catapult feature for use with CVE, I added it to TBF model so takeoffs from CVE's are possible when loaded.

Thanks for the links, I have all three.I was wondering if any other models were out there and skins for the FM-2, which was answered below.Thanks again

Dasuto,
    There is one more I forgot about. The FDG2 FM-2 Wildcat. You may be able to find it here or check with Rami. He knows eveything.
    Bub
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Dasuto,
    There is one more I forgot about. The FDG2 FM-2 Wildcat. You may be able to find it here or check with Rami. He knows eveything.
    Bub
    Thanks, I will ask Rami.I searched but kept getting dead links and do not see it in donationware with the other FDG planes.

I found the zip file. If worst comes to worst, we'll figure something out if you can't find it.
    Bub

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    I searched but kept getting dead links and do not see it in donationware with the other FDG planes.
    Here is the link for the Donationware FM-2 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=68&id=17802

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Here is the link for the Donationware FM-2 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=68&id=17802

Thanks, going to give it a quick flight before sleep.

Icon14 Reply...

Good morning,

Thanks for covering me, guys. I've been playing tour guide for most of this week to my cousins who are visiting from Wisconsin. Pictured left to right are Sydney, Jay, my mother, and me. (Leslie, Jay's wife, was taking the picture)

So I've barely been able to keep up on the uploads.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Since I may be looking for something to do in gMax... I know that the FM-2 tail was made taller to help with the torque but I'm not sure if just the rudder was made taller or was the whole tail and rudder made taller vs the basic F4F4?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

The vertical tail was increased at the top by six inches or so, and then the rudder was altered accordingly in height.

That sucks. There is almost no room on the stock F4F4 texture to make the tail taller. It runs right into the Vert stablelizer. The texture has room for a taller rudder.

Some work on the tail. Thanks to the taper of the tall and the lay out of the stablelizer on the texture sheet.

Attachment 24720

Well here is the engine. I think this is right but I'm not too sure. Also I need some one to make a texture for this thing... I can put tyhe model up for those that want to have a try at the texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Well here is the engine. I think this is right but I'm not too sure. Also I need some one to make a texture for this thing... I can put tyhe model up for those that want to have a try at the texture.
    Would the hellcat texture work?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Crazy/great minds think alike. I liberated the smoke from the Hellcat texture and a ton of copy and paste to make blank texture.

Attachment 24760

EDIT:

Tri-Color pic attached. Darn dose it look like a Hellcat dosen't it?

Attachment 24761
    Last edited by Allen; July 2nd, 2015 at 16:07.

It looks great with this texture ! Keep it up !

Crazy/great minds think alike. I liberated the smoke from the Hellcat texture and a ton of copy and paste to make blank texture.

EDIT:

I figured it might work. The Hellcat is just an up rated wildcat. Well a bit more then that. It looks great Allen.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Here it is ingame. I had to drop the smoothing from 60 to 30 as 60 was causing bad lighting effects along the fuselage at each cut in the fuselage for the breaking parts and damage texture.

Attachment 24777

Here it is ingame. I had to drop the smoothing from 60 to 30 as 60 was causing bad lighting effects along the fuselage at each cut in the fuselage for the breaking parts and damage texture.

Very nice.I have a dark blue "glossy" texture for F6F-5, based on OH F6F.Would like me to send it to you to see how it works?

Won't do me any good. The only thing I took from the F6F Hellcat was the exhast smoke. The rest is edit of the stock F4F4 Wilcat.

Won't do me any good. The only thing I took from the F6F Hellcat was the exhast smoke. The rest is edit of the stock F4F4 Wilcat.
    Give a shout out to Bub. With a good texture I'm sure he can make you a great paint.

Members who have read this thread: 1