C-97G Stratofreighter Uploaded - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: C-97G Stratofreighter Uploaded

Members +
    It would be nice to have the -L version (with the jets) as well. I also found:
    http://www.air-and-space.com/Boeing%20C-97.htm

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    It would be nice to have the -L version (with the jets) as well. I also found:
    http://www.air-and-space.com/Boeing%20C-97.htm

I won't swear to it BUT I've heard 'rumors' that there might be an "L" version eventually...

Bill

Yeah, normally on "classic" planes (and cars) I like the clean line variants, but there is something about the "L" Strat with its added bits that looks and feels right . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by WND View Post
    Good evening Tommy:

If you have been running the C-97G prior to todays 'update' release, I would suggest you move or delete your panel folder and then install the panel folder from the update Then load up and on the 'misc' monitor screen, put your mouse over GPU and 'click' your MIDDLE mouse button - it should then show up for you. The 'middle' mouse button controls the 'visibility'..

Hope this helps.

Bill

[/COLOR]
    Thanks Bill......

The 'middle' mouse button solved the visibility issue. So I went back into the readme text file to see what I may have missed the first time around. Turns out, I didn't take the time to hover over the GPU icon to view the "tool tips"

Regards,

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
    Thanks Bill......

The 'middle' mouse button solved the visibility issue. So I went back into the readme text file to see what I may have missed the first time around. Turns out, I didn't take the time to hover over the GPU icon to view the "tool tips"

Regards,

Tommy
    Glad you got it to work !! Now you can have fun !!

Bill

For my personal use only...Just a little decoration on the stairs texture........

Blog Entries
    Looks great!

So close to a 377 ...

Quote Originally Posted by dmq View Post
    For my personal use only...
    Getting selfish now, are we
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Getting selfish now, are we
    No, not at all. Someone else also inquired about it. I just did not think there would be any interest in it.

Anyway I have prepared a zip file ( no instructions, just the file so you have to make do with what is written herein ) that contains the modified file.

To explain: The Pan Am modified ladder texture is painted into the C97_05.dds file. The default C97_05.dds file is inside the separate catch-all "texture" folder that is inside the Boeing_C-97 folder. So if you were to copy the Pan Am modified C97_05.dds file into that texture folder you would see the Pan Am ladder outside all of your C97s. So, instead you copy the modified PanAm C97_05.dds directly into the "texture.Pan_Am_N1038V" folder. It then overrides the one in the separate texture folder and it displays only when you have the Pan Am version in play. Other C97 versions are not affected. Make sense? Hope so. It works.

As I say I zipped the C97_05.dds file into a zip file named ladder.zip from which you can get the required texture file. Click on the link below and download ladder.zip:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/aa...bmp/ladder.zip

By the way the Pan Am logo displays correctly on the side facing the front of the plane. On the other side it is reversed - cannot help that; thats just the way the default texture was mapped. But the logo is so small that no one would likely ever notice except that now I have spilled the beans.

Finished another unique USAF repaint. It shows Boeing C-97E Stratofreighter, 51-0224 in 1968. Part of the 137th Air Transport Group mission this a/c was a specially equipped C-97E, the "Miss Oklahoma City", also known as the "Talking Bird". From 1961 though 1963 the aircraft was used as an airborne command post to maintain constant secure communications between the nation's capital and President John F. Kennedy during his visits to foreign countries.

Is HC-97G O-22716 missing textures at the wing root and vertical stabilizer on the port side? This previously posted picture and my copy would seem so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HC-97G O-22716.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    Is HC-97G O-22716 missing textures at the wing root and vertical stabilizer on the port side? This previously posted picture and my copy would seem so.

Good morning:

It does appear you are correct in your assumption !!

Manfred, I believe, is the one that did that 'skin' and I'm sure he will correct it when he returns from his vacation - it appears he missed that in his 'rush' to releasing it before leaving..

Bill

EDIT: After reviewing the 'texture sheet' it does give me the indication that it was purposely painted like that however when Manfred returns I'll bring it to his attention..

Agree Bill.. it's not a missing texture but painted that way. Can't fathom what the reasoning behind the black area is but I'm sure there is one

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Agree Bill.. it's not a missing texture but painted that way. Can't fathom what the reasoning behind the black area is but I'm sure there is one

ATB
    DaveB
    Could it be those are dielectric panels so electronic signals can pass through? Much like the nose cone of a fighter, which is of a different material than the rest of the aircraft.
    TFZ-034
    "I fought the law and the law won ..."

I was thinking along those lines too Lawman.. either to help something get out or to stop RF (maybe) interfering with what's behind the panel. It seems likely

ATB
    DaveB

It looks like areas where HF radio transmit and receive antennas would be.

Not only the HC model had those, also many of the KC and vanilla C-97 had them, especially the one on the fin. Some had them coloured more gray.

HC-97G

C-97G

KC-97L

Hank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5066.jpg   5080.jpg   5105.jpg  

I believe these painted areas over the port wing and v-tail side are protective paint coatings for exhaust/vent outlets. This paint served 2 purposes. One was to help protect the skin from heat and the black color was to hide the staining. On the Fuselage just above and aft of the left wing leading edge is an exhaust fairing and on close inspection of photos of this area you can see in some cases heavy dark exhaust staining on the fuselage. On natural metal aircraft this area was painted gray on many aircraft. On one of the overall white Red Cross birds this area over the left wing is painted silver/gray.

On the port side v-tail near the base front quarter are 2 fairings stacked vertically but their staining is much less evident than that over the left wing. I have several photos showing these areas and the associated staining. I can post if you like I just didn't want to take the space if this is just a passing interest.

Cheers

Edit: Here are a couple photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	24891 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilang.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	24890
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

This shot (and others) confirm the presence of an exhaust of some kind there..

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...r_08_of_50.jpg

Not sure what it might be for though?
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    This shot (and others) confirm the presence of an exhaust of some kind there..

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...r_08_of_50.jpg

Not sure what it might be for though?
    ATB
    DaveB
    Don't know just a guess.... some kind of on board aux power unit?

Could be. I've also found shots of the main APU and that showed a flat, circular exhaust with a grid. Couldn't tell where the hell it was from the angle of the shot though!

ATB
    DaveB

I thought the APU was in the forward lower lobe on the starboard side. Might the exhausts in question be for a combustion heater setup?

i did some research last night with some cutaways...turns out the 2 small holes on the vert. stab. are exhausts for the anti-ice heat exchanger.....could it be the same for the wing root?

I guess it's possible Viper. I know little of the Strat's construction but back in the days of the Vickers Vanguard.. I know the heating matrix in the fin could overheat and this born out by pictures on the web of a new fin LE having been fitted. This may have been a way around such problems on the Strat. The main heat exchanger on the Vanguard is below the flightdeck and is fed by intakes either side of the nose. I can't recall where any exhaust for it may be though (if any). It's not clear from Strat shots online if all aircraft have this exhaust and if not.. why?

A very small thing but a very interesting topic
    ATB
    DaveB

The areas mentioned are indeed protective coatings for exhaust areas. The vertical stab is for the empennage anti-icing heater, which burned fuel from the cross-wing manifold. The left forward fuselage is the exhaust for the cabin heaters, which both exhausted through the same pipe on the left side. The APU/APP was in the forward lower lobe in all but the EC-97. It did not need the protective coatings because it could not be operated in flight. The EC-97 had the APU in the aft lower lobe to make space for a side aimed camera in the forward area. The wing leading edges were heated via fuel heaters in the outboard engine nacelles, which also had protective coatings.

--Dan
    Never trust a clean Crew Chief.

Members who have read this thread: 6