FSX Native Flyingboats? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX Native Flyingboats?

Some years ago George Diemer came out with several versions of the Sikorsky S-43/JRS-1 for FS9. I just now copied one of the JRS-1's into FSX and it worked just fine.

I found this S-43 at Flightsim.com:

It says "FS2004", but works fine in FSX and even has FSX views. Link: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=37263942
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015_05_30_20_31_11_Greenshot_zps7sv1qw49.jpg   2015_05_30_20_25_50_Greenshot_zps8rlcpfk8.jpg   2015_05_30_20_28_40_Greenshot_zpsssd1d9zk.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    I found this S-43 at Flightsim.com. It says "FS2004", but works fine in FSX and even has FSX views. Link: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=37263942
    Yep, that's one of George Diemer's S-43's per my post above. Drop 'em right into FSX, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Id like to see one day good modelled Short S.25 Sunderland for FSX/P3D.

but few days ago I returned to PBY Catalina of AS, realistics engines option is very nice.

What about the First Class Simulations Sunderland?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Yep, that's one of George Diemer's S-43's per my post above. Drop 'em right into FSX, no problem.
    Why I wonder is it that FlightSim.com links never work.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Peg o my heart View Post
    First of all, I would like to apologize if this has been discussed to death but I had difficulty to track a similar topic in SOH. Apart from the great Aerosoft's Pig Boat, has there been any working Boeing 314 Clippers for FSX or something like China Clippers or other pre-war flyingboats? We got a handful of floatplanes and amphibs. Thanks
    Quite a few as everyone has suggested. The Aerosoft Catalina and the Virtavia HU16 or Grumman Albatross are the only significant payware contributions. The master craftsman of flying boats was Jens Kristensen who has covered just about everything in the transport field. A great collection of Shorts flying boats:

The Calcutta,
    S5 Singapore,
    S17 Kent
    S23
    S30
    Shorts Solent
    Shorts Hythe

All are available in FSX but were not designed for FSX and have limited VC's but really its the texture graphics and original modelling limits which make them a little ordinary, but if your prepared to play around with paint and panels you can make some quite passable improvements.

I have in collaboration with NZ simmer Adrian Brausch (AB) reworked the JBK into a Sunderland of sorts. AB did the paints and turret textures and I have done the cfg and VC rework.

Here's a link to the Sunderland as is but not yet ready for release. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...yer#post921554

I have also reworked the Shorts Solent and Shorts Sandringham VC's to more look like the real aircraft did.

This is the Solent

Sandringham:

FSX is a difficult medium to model seaplanes/flying boats (contact points water drag and speeds etc) and the Sunderland took a lot of research to get the aircraft data correct and hence the model to perform realistically in the sim, which it now does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    What about the First Class Simulations Sunderland?

Cees
    Cees, are you 100% sure that the FCS Sunderland is FSX native?

Cheers,

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    The master craftsman of flying boats was Jens Kristensen who has covered just about everything in the transport field. A great collection of Shorts flying boats:

The Calcutta,
    S5 Singapore,
    S17 Kent
    S23
    S30
    Shorts Solent
    Shorts Hythe

I have also reworked the Shorts Solent and Shorts Sandringham VC's to more look like the real aircraft did.

This is the Solent

Are your VC reworks available anywhere, Bendy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Cees, are you 100% sure that the FCS Sunderland is FSX native?

Cheers,

Johan
    No. I'm not. It says for FS2004 or FSX.....Only one way to find out. But it gets terrible reviews!

Cees
    Last edited by Cees Donker; June 1st, 2015 at 00:52.

I've been a fan of the Sikorsky S43 ever since I saw the first pre-release screenshot of the Bill Lyons one from Golden Hawaii. I bought it then and waited for Bill to finish it. That's good to know about the Diemer ones in FSX. I'll have to give some of his other Sikorsky's a shot as well (S39 & S42)
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I've been a fan of the Sikorsky S43 ever since I saw the first pre-release screenshot of the Bill Lyons one from Golden Hawaii. I bought it then and waited for Bill to finish it. That's good to know about the Diemer ones in FSX. I'll have to give some of his other Sikorsky's a shot as well (S39 & S42)
    It was a time when I havent Credit Card. I send to him money in envelope.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Got It

I worked on the B-314, by Mike Stone, and made it turbo-prop, and worked well in FSX back in Jan 2014. I lost a lot on HDrive crash but have the cfg and air file from external backup. Give me a couple of days (it's 'payday' week) and will let you guys know how it went in FS9 and FSX Accel. Working on the cnt pts is 90% of the 'dynamics' and therfore, how well it 'works'. I'll Be Baaaack.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-314 Clipper_Mike Stone_Jan 2014.jpg  
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Are your VC reworks available anywhere, Bendy?
    Not yet but I will upload only to SOH when I have some stuff sorted. There are a number of third party gauges used in the panels and hence permission to use etc had to be obtained. I guess I also have tinkered with the making them better or more representative of the real thing. I think I have come as close as I can. There will be:

Solent
    Sandringham
    Sunderland

The Sunderland will also be a complete rework so the entire sim package for FSX and the Sunderland Mark V only.

When? Not sure at the moment due my need to do other life and work stuff which is agriculturally and horticultural and as where I am is stuck in drought and reduced water, life has other challenges to deal with. Hopefully no later than September.

No pressure, just interested in seeing the results.
    Hope things go well - on and off the land.

No. I'm not. It says for FS2004 or FSX.....Only one way to find out. But it gets terrible reviews!
    Cee's , I never never ever knocked peoples work , but this is exactly what I did , I wall mounted the package just to warn me not to go there again! , the package was friggen Horrible , the packaging was doctored to make it look pretty .. this was a real rip off !

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Cee's , I never never ever knocked peoples work , but this is exactly what I did , I wall mounted the package just to warn me not to go there again! , the package was friggen Horrible , the packaging was doctored to make it look pretty .. this was a real rip off !

I was aware of this already. But thanks for the warning!

Cees

LOL !!!!

Is it that bad?
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

LOL !!!!

Is it that bad?
    Obviously! A shame. I Always had a soft spot for the Short planes like the Stirling and Sunderland.

Bummer!

Cees

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

LOL !!!!

Is it that bad?
    SERIOUSLY THAT BAD , had it been freeware you still would have complained ... but to get charge $50 plus... boy , It was a real shocker .. everyone jokes about why it sits above my PC ... Its just there to warn me ... don't go there again ! ........ They have the packaging done , they have the VC coding done ... would it not be brilliant to bring Jens Kristensen in on the project , a few dollars for him and get a few real Mc'coy Sunderland peoples out there to really switch it on! maybe a Kermit Weeks !

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    SERIOUSLY THAT BAD , had it been freeware you still would have complained ... but to get charge $50 plus... boy , It was a real shocker .. everyone jokes about why it sits above my PC ... Its just there to warn me ... don't go there again ! ........ They have the packaging done , they have the VC coding done ... would it not be brilliant to bring Jens Kristensen in on the project , a few dollars for him and get a few real Mc'coy Sunderland peoples out there to really switch it on! maybe a Kermit Weeks !
    Then the model must have countless flaws. It's not just the textures?

Cees

It's not just the textures?
    Its one were I can say, were do I start, so I'm not going to ... , Like yourself need a Brilliant Sunderland , the much well known Jens Kristensen Love to see him on the boat project , man with a name to fame regard to these whooping great flying boats, ... as for the Short Stiling , that would another superb subject , It amazing looking at the engineering station from Pilot and engineer's note ... go to the that area the engineers station and you would think your on the 'TITANIC' or maybe the lessor a large Choo Choo , these large wheeled handles .. taps almost.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post

I have in collaboration with NZ simmer Adrian Brausch (AB) reworked the JBK into a Sunderland of sorts. AB did the paints and turret textures and I have done the cfg and VC rework.

FSX is a difficult medium to model seaplanes/flying boats (contact points water drag and speeds etc) and the Sunderland took a lot of research to get the aircraft data correct and hence the model to perform realistically in the sim, which it now does.
    Hey ya Bendy , I Know Adrian very well , regular chats on TS and phone .. bloody great guy , we had a bit off a history dates maybe almost twenty years .. If ever a project gets up off the bench or kitchen table I'm sure I would be flying up to Auckland and we would hit MOTAT with a vengeance .. current work getting done on real McCoy , the Sunderland , I'll have to dig up the link but also the Solent is in its full glory.

Well its the MOTAT Sunderland which we have used. Here is the original cockpit:

and this is the reworked FSX cockpit:

The original model was a JBK Hythe reworked backwards to the Sunderland MK V RNZAF. I don't know why but I have done a number of subpanel as pop ups so the Radio Operator and Navigator are nearly done but finding stuff like the original mil spec equipment used in the 40's and 50's is near impossible. Anway nearly done.

The key thing I guess is that there a lots of flying boats if you like that sort of thing. I have spent about three weeks recently doing the S23 or Imperial Airways routes from England to Australia day by day and near the schedule times as I could with Rex Real Weather, a real challenge actually. Combine that with some internet digging in the area and one can have great fun.

I have received permission from George Diemer to update his Sikorsky S-42 to FSX. He sent me the FSDS source and things are progressing nicely!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015_06_05_20_43_22_Greenshot_zpspoar503p.jpg   2015_06_05_20_43_56_Greenshot_zpslxbcjbj4.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 3