Installing gauges into a VC

Thread: Installing gauges into a VC

Installing gauges into a VC

Hi all. Just purchased from F1 the Aspen EFD1000 flight gauges. Intention is to upgrade my Alabeo Waco YM5F along with install of a GPS and autopilot. This waco is actually a modern aircraft reproduction, not an old antique. For that reason, I am updating the avionics similar to what you can see online as real cockpits. My intention is to do a round the world flight with the Waco YM5F, including addition of an extra fuel tank in place of the front seat.

Heres my question. I tried to use the install tool available with the Aspen gauges, which is basically a version of FS Panel Studio. However, it only really installs into a 2D panel. No options for VC.

How do I install gauges visually into a virtual cockpit? I do have FS Panel Studio (licensed full edition), but dont use it very often. Would like to upgrade my panels prior to starting the RTW journey.

Eric

Depends on how they're done for the particular model. Classy [quality] VCs have the gauges coded into the model and won't be able to be replaced as such. 'simpler' VCs are more like a flat 2D graphic applied to bits of the interior 'model' and can be altered similarly to the 2D panel...though generally the co-ords can be 'entertaining' to reset...

Should add... if you look at the panel.cfg and there's a VC section with virtually no [or none] gauges listed then they're hard coded. If there are several VC windows with a series of gauges then they can usually be swapped out with others....though results will vary...

Jafo has it right. If it is a simpler flat bmp with flat gauges, then you can use FSPS to change it just like the 2D main panel. Just go to Window, and select the vcockpit sections to modify.

If you see no vcockpit sections, then you are out of luck I guess as the gauges are modeled in.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

With the Waco, while there is a VC section in the panel.cfg file, there is no reference to the VC once you open the config file in FSPanel Studio.

Also, there is no active Autopilot section in the Aircraft.cfg file so one would have to be added, based on what though? The airfile, line 1199 references the Autopilot/Secondary Aerodynamics, but what all those numbers mean is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by falcon409; May 27th, 2015 at 19:54. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    With the Waco, while there is a VC section in the panel.cfg file, there is no reference to the VC once you open the config file in FSPanel Studio.

Also, there is no active Autopilot section in the Aircraft.cfg file so one would have to be added, based on what though? The airfile, line 1199 references the Autopilot/Secondary Aerodynamics, but what all those numbers mean is a mystery to me.
    Disappointing. Guess I am screwed then!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Disappointing. Guess I am screwed then!

Eric
    I would wait until a few more folks chime in. While my impression of the VC for the Waco is that the gauges are 3D gauges and therefore not replaceable, I'm frequently wrong, lol. . .so give a few more members a chance to give it a look.

I took a look at the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg of my Waco and all is not lost.

First, there is a section for the autopilot in the aircraft.cfg. To activate it I would change autopilot_available= 0 to autopilot_available= 1 and add various parameters from another aircraft - perhaps a comparable aircraft or the default Cessna. I tend to just use the shortcuts to activate the autopilot, altitude and heading anyway (Z, Ctrl-z, and Ctrl-H).

As for the gauge swap, there are several radio gauges scripted under Vcocpit01 and Vcockpit02. Not sure which is which or which could be replaced, so I would do some experimenting. Just add // to one gauge at a time, load the aircraft, and see which gauge you want to replace. If you find which one references the GPS, then just replace the gauge entry - leave the coordinates intact.

If all else fails, then you may want to consider using a 2D pop-up panel with the missing gauges. For example, some of the freeware AlphaSim have an easy autopilot gauge that can be easily added for setting CRS, heading, altitude, etc. and will work as long as you add the appropriate scripting to the aircraft.cfg as I mentioned above.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

The Wozza Gee Bee is the same in FS Panel Studio being unable to do much with the vc. I've been flying it around the world in Golden Wings and adapted the "otto" out of Milton's Spartan to the 2d panel. Another thought would be to just add one as a pop up which could still be accessed while in the vc.

More than one way to skin a cat....

W
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Another thought would be to just add one as a pop up which could still be accessed while in the vc.

More than one way to skin a cat....

W
    Yep...that's another way [though the cat will still be unhappy]...

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I took a look at the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg of my Waco and all is not lost.

First, there is a section for the autopilot in the aircraft.cfg. To activate it I would change autopilot_available= 0 to autopilot_available= 1 and add various parameters from another aircraft - perhaps a comparable aircraft or the default Cessna. I tend to just use the shortcuts to activate the autopilot, altitude and heading anyway (Z, Ctrl-z, and Ctrl-H).

As for the gauge swap, there are several radio gauges scripted under Vcocpit01 and Vcockpit02. Not sure which is which or which could be replaced, so I would do some experimenting. Just add // to one gauge at a time, load the aircraft, and see which gauge you want to replace. If you find which one references the GPS, then just replace the gauge entry - leave the coordinates intact.

If all else fails, then you may want to consider using a 2D pop-up panel with the missing gauges. For example, some of the freeware AlphaSim have an easy autopilot gauge that can be easily added for setting CRS, heading, altitude, etc. and will work as long as you add the appropriate scripting to the aircraft.cfg as I mentioned above.
    I have installed autopilot and GPS into the Waco as pop ups and it works fine, Just making the aircraft.cfg entries and panel.cfg entries for the pop ups works no problem.

I just had hoped to put an an electronic HSI etc in the aircraft.

I have installed autopilot and GPS into the Waco as pop ups and it works fine, Just making the aircraft.cfg entries and panel.cfg entries for the pop ups works no problem.

I just had hoped to put an an electronic HSI etc in the aircraft.
    I'm sure this points up something to remember next time, but many of the newer aircraft are using coded gauges, all 3D which can't be moved or replaced unless the developer leaves a spot open for such a swap (like Bill's Lear or the MU-2). Always check the panel config or better yet, check with the developer about any avionics you want to add to their aircraft. It might save you time and money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    check with the developer about any avionics you want to add to their aircraft. It might save you time and money in the long run.

Yup. hindsight being 20/20.

Yup. hindsight being 20/20.
    lol, yep it always is!

Members who have read this thread: 0