Orbx global - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orbx global

I've only had about an hour with it but was able to determine all of the major highways and primary surface streets that I'm very familiar with are pretty much were they are supposed to be, including the bridges and over passes! Very pleased with that. Again, it looks just awesome!

Next gonna take a look at these free airports I installed. Found a few that are floating in space, and since I probably won't fly to or from the majority of them I'll just delete the offending airports to save some of that space you referred to!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    What a fantastic improvement to FSX and P3D

Now off to explore.....
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

The difference from default FSX to Orbx is very obvious.

I am running UTX and GEX which look also much better than default scenery.

Anyone can compare these addons? Is it worth changing to Orbx?

Pekka

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I've only had about an hour with it but was able to determine all of the major highways and primary surface streets that I'm very familiar with are pretty much were they are supposed to be, including the bridges and over passes! Very pleased with that. Again, it looks just awesome!

Next gonna take a look at these free airports I installed. Found a few that are floating in space, and since I probably won't fly to or from the majority of them I'll just delete the offending airports to save some of that space you referred to!
    Make sure to run the Vector control program when you install new airports it will scan and then give you the choice to fix elevation issues with the click of a button. You can also turn these fixes ON/OFF with a button click too.

thanks,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    Make sure to run the Vector control program when you install new airports it will scan and then give you the choice to fix elevation issues with the click of a button. You can also turn these fixes ON/OFF with a button click too.

thanks,
    Lewis
    Thanks Lewis. Unfortunately, the problem does seem to be with elevation on a couple dozen of the free FTX airports so I just turned off the elevation fixes for these airports through the Vector Control Panel as you suggested and that did the trick.

Now, on to more sight seeing!
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    The difference from default FSX to Orbx is very obvious.

I am running UTX and GEX which look also much better than default scenery.

Anyone can compare these addons? Is it worth changing to Orbx?

Pekka
    Like you I have (had!) UTX and GEX. They are both very good, and I'm glad I bought them. But I have all the Orbx NA regions, and the fit between them and GEX can sometimes be problematical. Orbx's current sale allowed me to try Global at a great price, and I haven't looked back! I still have UTX because I prefer what it brings to my simming experience, but GEX has given way to Global. Not that I don't like GEX... I just like Global more! So... if you enjoy Orbx Regions and Airports, then Global is an easy choice.

HTH

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Duckie, I am just praying one day somebody will do an Orbx version of Atlanta. The default ATL is so bad in FSX that it does not actually represent the city accurately at any period. I dont fly in our home area because of it. pisses me off to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Duckie, I am just praying one day somebody will do an Orbx version of Atlanta. The default ATL is so bad in FSX that it does not actually represent the city accurately at any period. I dont fly in our home area because of it. pisses me off to no end.
    For that you should consider UTX, not OrbX. I'd call the chances of a Georgia OrbX region quite slim, even if it would be several years away. OpenLC NA will be released this year but that will have a 1km x 1km grid of landclass tiles while UTX uses vectorized urban landclass (and only urban LC!). Vectorized landclass is the next best thing to a photoscenery.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice but probably most folks feel the same about their home towns. I don't spend a lot of time flying or site seeing over big cities because none of them look very convincing in sim to me. Now, that is just my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone. I do enjoy looking closely at the airport facilities I'm familiar with and landmarks, natural and manmade. So there's where I wish the accuracy and faithful representations were. There are some good ones of those out there but I wish there were more.
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by vora View Post
    For that you should consider UTX, not OrbX. I'd call the chances of a Georgia OrbX region quite slim, even if it would be several years away. OpenLC NA will be released this year but that will have a 1km x 1km grid of landclass tiles while UTX uses vectorized urban landclass (and only urban LC!). Vectorized landclass is the next best thing to a photoscenery.
    ORBX OpenLC Europe features vectorized urban landclass too. I guess US will be similar. My home country has come alive with towns and villages at the correct location and shape as well as correct looking autogen buildings. As you say, the next best thing to photoscenery in terms of realism but also much smaller in size on your HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Thanks Lewis. Unfortunately, the problem does seem to be with elevation on a couple dozen of the free FTX airports so I just turned off the elevation fixes for these airports through the Vector Control Panel as you suggested and that did the trick.
    Yes the tool will need to run to correct on all airfields including the FTX ones, as they will be created for the default stuff to be compatible with as many users as possible I guess. I had to run it to correct some errors for my England FTX region.

And on the OpenLC Europe landclass, I guess that is next on my list!

thanks,
    Lewis

Members who have read this thread: 1