Curious: REX Essentials W/ Overdrive OR ActiveSky Next ?

Thread: Curious: REX Essentials W/ Overdrive OR ActiveSky Next ?

Curious: REX Essentials W/ Overdrive OR ActiveSky Next ?

I have FEX. Was consitering running ASN with FEX. BUt its expensive even on sale(ASN that is)

I have have read many good things about REX Essentials with Overdrive .Having its own Engine sounds promising , and is a complete package, also saving me valuable SSD space too.

I'm not a freak about weather, just like more than what FSX delivers.

I would love other users thoughts about REX Essentials if possiable..

Many thanks...

Thanks to all those that serve !
    Last edited by Hdguy; May 24th, 2015 at 03:57. Reason: Cause me and keyboards are NOT friends.

HDguy, I purchased REX Essentials some time ago and have never felt the need for anything else as far as weather. I am not a big weather guy either but the REX Essential clouds and water are superb. We need more input here.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Hdguy...

A lot depends on how you want to run them mate. ASN is a stand-alone weather engine and very, very fast compared to others I've tried. It's downfall (if it can be considered as such) is that it uses default wx textures.. unless of course you have changed these already. The Wx engine that comes with REX +O/D is capable but not as fast at loading and depicting weather. Also.. you have to start REX to use the weather engine (which may not be a problem) but it does make the whole situation much slower. For my part.. I choose the textures I want from REX and that's it.. I don't touch it again until I want a variation in textures which is hardly ever.
    So.. a double click on the ASN icon.. accept it 'making changes to your system' (thanks Win7) and it loads the active global weather. Start FSX and you're ready to go. The alternative is to double click on the REX icon.. wait for it to do it's thing.. then choose what you want to do. It will start FSX for you.

I prefer ASN but if you're on a budget.. REX +O/D is a good start. Not only do you get textures for almost every part of FS.. you also get it's built-in weather engine. Then, you can get ASN when funds allow which is what I did

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks for those opinions...

Its not so much the funds, but a bit about user interface too. I do have AS6, and thru FUCSIP(sp) i can control weather in FSX. But it lacks in areas. So.

I like what you said Stovall . And I intend to agree that as not being that concerned about weather I just want more than FSX offers. Close to NILL.

That said. I do think that ASN is the better product, but perhaps more than I care to learn or use. Yes, Damian and the others are great support too.

Also not a major weather aficionado but I was looking for a decent Real World Weather program to give me true local weather in regions that I fly. I also use REX Essential but only for the textures in concert with FSGlobal Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Also not a major weather aficionado but I was looking for a decent Real World Weather program to give me true local weather in regions that I fly. I also use REX Essential but only for the textures in concert with FSGlobal Weather.

Hmmm.. Now I have to go look into FSGlobal..... Thats a new one to me... Many thanks.....

Hdguy..

As you have AS6, can you not upgrade to ASN? I went through the upgrades missing out AS2012 so jumped from ASA (which I still have installed) to ASN. There's very little to learn. What you can do with it is very similar to AS6.. just a bit more I guess. It's very much a point and shoot bit of software. Mine is on it's default Where REX+ scores is with textures.. sky, sea e t c. It often pop's up in sales and that's how I got it. Couldn't justify the download at the time (I was on 10gig BB allowance) so I ordered the backup cd's and installed from there.

If you just want better weather, check out the upgrade paths at HiFi for ASN
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave. AS6 is not eligable for the upgrade. The cut off seems to be AS2012....

Think I am going to purchase it ... I'm also going to get the DVD backup. Just to have it..

Thanks

That's a shame

I think there might be a demo version so you can 'try before you buy' but in any case.. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Can't recall anyone who has it being disappointed

ATB
    DaveB

No demo. ASN has one, and I tried that out a few weeks ago. I am not really into spending a week learning how it all works. It also offers way more than I need or care for anyways...

Yup. I have yet to read about anyone that was unhappy.

Thanks

I have been using REX Essentials w/OD for quite some time, but was never really satisfied with REX's weather engine.

So, a few weeks ago I decided to buy ASN when it was on sale.

The combination of REX textures and ASN weather engine has proven to be a perfect marriage for me.

I have not made any flight without ASN ever since. I am running it on a networked computer, that also runs other flightsimultor related programs, and I do not see any FPS hit difference. Oh, and YES, ASN does implement weather/changes very fast.
    And I love how easy it is to look for locations with specific weather, or to find out weather conditions at any airport.

Thar was just my two cents
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Thanks for that input Manfredc3..

I was pretty much aware that it's engine was far inferior to ASN....Or so I have read...

Members who have read this thread: 0