Security Warning

Thread: Security Warning

Security Warning

I am still running Windows XP Home Edition. When I go into my "My Pictures" folder and attempt to open a jpg, bmp or png file I've downloaded from the internet I am now getting this annoying prompt (see pic). I seem to recall this happened before but I don't remember how I got rid of it. Does anybody know how to disable this so it doesn't come up?

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Security Warning

Try un-checking the box for "always display this warning...". However, this could get exciting if a real problem pops up.

Steve
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Un-checking the box only prevents the warning from recurring with that file only. What I want to do is stop it from appearing on ANY of the files.

What Browser do you use? IE is subject to being compromised in XP. Along with JAVA and Adobe. You may be infected.

I use Chrome 43.0. This security warning prompt is only popping up on pics that I have downloaded from somewhere online. Pics that I create myself from screen shots, scans, etc. don't trigger it. If I un-check that "Always display this warning..." box I don't get the warning any more when I open that file. This appears to be a common annoyance, even with later OS's than Windows XP. A simple registry edit would probably kill it, but I'm not about to snoop around in the registry unless I know exactly which line to edit.

Blog Entries
    Look What I Have Become!

OK... Right click on those pictures from online. Then select to: Open with windows photo viewer or whatever program you use be it printer software or any of them. Also tell it to always open with this and save. That should fix that problem

Update: OK, I opened the Security tab in Windows Internet Options, found an option for opening files and disabled the prompt. Now the computer advises me I am putting it at risk but I'll take the risk, LOL. Thank you for the replies. BTW Ickie, I like the F-Secure Online Scanner.

Members who have read this thread: 0