My kind of Grumman!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kind of Grumman!

Icon2 My kind of Grumman!

My first adventure in how to paint an FSX bird with all these crazy bumps and specs stuff, which by the way haven't touched the specs stuff yet. This is one of my favorite birds and a perfect one for me to experiment on. Lots of work and more work to do. Thanks to AH for bring this bird to FSX/P3Dv2!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Blog Entries
    WOW! Awesome Ted!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks Ted! Soon as the alpha's and spec's are done, will upload 0 9 7 6.

Blog Entries
    Really beautiful work so far TF...on a really great model. I'll be anxious to see your next set with the light layers added.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

TF the wing rib detail is just awesome! Beautiful work.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thanks "G"... your a tough act to follow! I'm trying!!!

Hey Duckie, those are modeled but did the stitches and tape.

Added some light alpha blank for testing. Closer look at some of the detail.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Thanks "G"... your a tough act to follow! I'm trying!!!

Hey Duckie, those are modeled but did the stitches and tape.

EXACTLY!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

that looks better than the promo pics on their site! maybe they should talk to you about some side work....

Will these bumps be available so we can put them in all repaints?

Quote Originally Posted by CodyValkyrie View Post
    Will these bumps be available so we can put them in all repaints?
    The pattern I used is different and will not match up with what the current default and repaints. I have not been able to find that pattern used on the current paints on any pictures and drawings. I tried to make it accurate as possible within the framework of the model.

The pattern I used is different and will not match up with what the current default and repaints. I have not been able to find that pattern used on the current paints on any pictures and drawings. I tried to make it accurate as possible within the framework of the model.
    So in other words, your nice bumpy barrel will not interface with the other F3's. Unless one could possibly take some of your texture files and try to change some of the graphics
    i.e. go from USMC to USN and edit the logos and colors to suit. I've done that with the VF-5 barrel; make the area's that were a crimson red to a coca cola red and insert a different
    color band on the cowl, i.e. a little color "tweak" or "sweetening" to taste

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    So in other words, your nice bumpy barrel will not interface with the other F3's. Unless one could possibly take some of your texture files and try to change some of the graphics
    i.e. go from USMC to USN and edit the logos and colors to suit. I've done that with the VF-5 barrel; make the area's that were a crimson red to a coca cola red and insert a different
    color band on the cowl, i.e. a little color "tweak" or "sweetening" to taste
    Color is not the problem, its the default rivet pattern used. Those need to be removed from any repaint. Current they clash with new bump maps.

Color is not the problem, its the default rivet pattern used. Those need to be removed from any repaint. Current they clash with new bump maps.
    Sounds like you are in very artistic technical waters that is beyond my realm. I would still like to see for myself what the diff is when released. Then, maybe
    what you said ^, will all make sense to me.

- so this is what it is possible to do using various tools to manipulate textures in FSX - but not what will be shared for use by the greater community WRT this particular model?

what we have here is a 'showcase' then?

ok - looks real purdy
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Blog Entries
    I think that a dedicated paint kit with all of the layers included would be the best option. Individual graphics, logos etc. could be added in their own layers.

The original paints and model are exceptional, but there is always room to take things to the next level. TF has taken a classic to an entirely new level of detail. Unfortunately, there is no way to reconcile the new bumps with existing skins. By addressing this immediately post release, options are now available to create some really stunning art based on a highly accurate canvas.
    It's nice to have these options.

I can't wait for the new paint kit...that is, if TF is kind enough to share his work with those thankful enough to receive it.

Simlpy awesome detail work....again!

TY TF
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I think that a dedicated paint kit with all of the layers included would be the best option. Individual graphics, logos etc. could be added in their own layer.

The original paints and model are exceptional, but there is always room to take things to the next level. TF has taken a classic to an entirely new level of detail. Unfortunately, there is no way to reconcile the new bumps with existing skins. By addressing this immediately post release, options are now available to create some really stunning art based on a highly accurate canvas.
    It's nice to have these options.

I can't wait for the new paint kit...that is, if TF is kind enough to share his work with those thankful enough to receive it.

Simlpy awesome detail work....again!

TY TFt

+1 I too would be grateful. This would raise the bar ten fold on the F3F skins - repaints and maybe the ones that currently are published could maybe be modded to this level
    of detail.

I would be interested but only if there was a layer format for Paint Shop Pro as well as Photoshop. I am thinking of redoing my Gulfhawk with the new rivets and rib stitching if possible.
    Last edited by TeiscoDelRay; May 23rd, 2015 at 15:02.

As you guys can see I love detail and it's so much easier in FSX/F3Dv2 with PS CS5! Some areas of the model leaves me to fudge some stuff so it's not total accurate, but looks good. Depending on the quality of the canvas brings out perfection one can achieve!

Here's a look at the tail cone and rudder has stitches and tap applied.

Look closely the tape is there. Now the rudder needs some hinges and a plate for the brace above the 0. Blue needs to more transparent to see the stitches.

P.S. A PS basic paintkit will be available when done... all is required is color.
    Last edited by TuFun; May 23rd, 2015 at 15:59. Reason: fudge

I'm confused. Are you actually making a bump map or just adding the rivets to the base diffuse, colour texture?

I am not sure how you're working there but you should simply be able to replace the bump maps if you are not happy with them. There is no dark art to bumping or normal maps as they are called. If you start with a clean texture and add all the rivets, and make your bump map from there you will not have any "clashing" with anything. The original bump map will no longer be there because you will have replaced it.

There are parts of the model where the rivets are actually modeled in like the panel overlaps. You can't change those of course.

As you guys can see I love detail and it's so much easier in FSX/F3Dv2 with PS CS5! Some areas of the model leaves me to fug some stuff so it's not total accurate, but looks good. Depending on the quality of the canvas brings out perfection one can achieve!

Here's a look at the tail cone and rudder has stitches and tap applied.

Look closely the tape is there. Now the rudder needs some hinges and a plate for the brace above the 0. Blue needs to more transparent to see the stitches.

P.S. A PS basic paintkit will be available when done... all is required is color.
    Thanks a ton Ted. I really appreciate you sharing your paint kit with us, looking forward to using it and leaning to make a paint from scratch.

The F3F is one of my favs as well. Thanks for all you do here at SOH. You are at the very artistic technical waters area now.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post

I am not sure how you're working there but you should simply be able to replace the bump maps if you are not happy with them. There is no dark art to bumping or normal maps as they are called. If you start with a clean texture and add all the rivets, and make your bump map from there you will not have any "clashing" with anything. The original bump map will no longer be there because you will have replaced it.
    Exactly right. What GE is asking is if the current repaints will work with the new bumps I'm doing and those will not match up with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by navin johnson View Post
    that looks better than the promo pics on their site! maybe they should talk to you about some side work....
    I wouldn't be interested in that line of work. I'm only interested in certain types of aircraft that I enjoy. Right now my favorite GA bird is A2A C182 for scooting around P3Dv2.

My next step in the evolutions is modeling.

My inspiration comes from Witold Jaworski and others at http://www.military-meshes.com/forum/forum.php

your stuff is so cool Ted,thanks for what you do..the howard 500 and so on...do you like the IA-58 Pucara at all?...i want one of those so bad...i was more disappointed that we wouldnt get one when piglet left..more than i was him..lol...but i miss the heck out of him...

Good Repaints

My inspiration comes from Witold Jaworski and others at http://www.military-meshes.com/forum/forum.php

That link looks to be where artisians display their handy work and not so much share anything they did via download.

I guess doing good repaints is really knowing where to find good resources.
    Last edited by gray eagle; May 24th, 2015 at 06:23.

Members who have read this thread: 0