New video card
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New video card

Question New video card

I did update my PC. Performance was not bad but not the best possible. With my limited budget I got a AMD Radeon HD 7700 as my new video card. I am not quite happy with the result. I do see too much flickering and some stuttering. Scenery blurrings are not as bad as earlier. How do I find best settings for my new video card? Does anyone of you have experinces on that cars? What are your settings?

Should have went Nvidia.
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Should have went Nvidia.
    Perhaps so. Anyway that comment didnīt help me much, sorry. Any one able to be more helpful?

You will want to search (engine) for fsx tweaks for ati or amd users
    and parse through them for tweaks to both your graphics settings and the FSX .cfg for best results
    sorry there are no short cuts and no easy answers as so much
    depends on all of your specific PC spec's
    I think it was established a while back that FSX works better with Nvidia but there
    are a few ATI card holders around here...maybe
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

If you play anything else at all, forget that nvidia only crap. You should wait next month for AMD's new lineup and see what's best for your money. It's what I'm doing.

I'm one of the AMD users here. For the record, Steam Edition works way better than the boxed did.

Remember, being brand-fixated is bad for your pockets.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I only use AMD since Day 1 SOH and FSX. Two computer's and one has Nvidia and the other ATI R5 230 2g's that flies and screams like heck on FSX/SE with Ifly 747V2/737. I agree 110% with Stefano.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Well there you go - two AMD users....unfortunately they were not
    very helpful to you either as both only spoke of the "rivalry" between
    AMD and Nvidia but offered you no guidance on the card you
    already bought or the settings and tweaks they use....
    ooops
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Well there you go - two AMD users....unfortunately they were not
    very helpful to you either as both only spoke of the "rivalry" between
    AMD and Nvidia but offered you no guidance on the card you
    already bought or the settings and tweaks they use....
    ooops
    That's just what happened... Well, now I know. Video cards bring up the emotions.

I did find some help elsewhere and after few hours of tweeking I am happy with the result. There is nothing wrong with this video card, you just need to find right settings.

I'm an Nvidia user, but found this that might help:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

As with most GFX card, it's the drivers. remove the old ones, install the latest ones and start tweaking the FSX.cfg file.

This might help on the tweaks: http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?p=8839

If it doesn't, PM me. I'll be more than happy to help. But sorry, I'll need more info on your rigs specs!

Take care,

Johan

very good - I think the favoritism one way or the other is misplaced at best - a long time ago there was a consensus on FSX and Nvidia over AMD for GPU choice but I think enough development
    has occurred to render that opinion outdated.

glad you were able to find the information you needed.

since FSX is CPU intensive more so than on the GPU it makes sense that the choice of mfg would make virtually no difference at this point.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    I'm an Nvidia user, but found this that might help:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

As with most GFX card, it's the drivers. remove the old ones, install the latest ones and start tweaking the FSX.cfg file.

This might help on the tweaks: http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?p=8839

If it doesn't, PM me. I'll be more than happy to help. But sorry, I'll need more info on your rigs specs!

Take care,

Johan
    Thanks, I keep that in mind. And those links were really interesting and helped me.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    Thanks, I keep that in mind. And those links were really interesting and helped me.
    Dumonceau is the one member here who offer's equal advice with no quells. That's what I call a SOH Leader. I was trying last night after I posted hunting around for some ATI FSX stuff for you. But Dumonceau's advice is true and equal. Thank you Dumonceau, excellent lead.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I'm curious as to any AMD card users using Steve's DX10 fixer... how's that working? I could never get that to work properly.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Dumonceau is the one member here who offer's equal advice with no quells. That's what I call a SOH Leader. I was trying last night after I posted hunting around for some ATI FSX stuff for you. But Dumonceau's advice is true and equal. Thank you Dumonceau, excellent lead.
    feel better now? lol
    enter..the Sandman

I have a 2gb HD7770 Pro and for a while I felt I wasn't getting the best from my CPU or GPU while running FSX. After much researching on optimization, I ended up with these 3d settings(shown in the below screenshot) which makes my FSX run very smoothly with good visuals using REX4 and very high end addons. Bear in mind that with some models, scenery, and weather settings, you'll need to adjust your fps between the typical 30 mark or unlimited to achieve the best balance between performance and not having visual anomalies(which will also vary system to system).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nice work, Storm - are you running Steve's DX10 Fixer?..it appears not as you are overriding the application AA, but just to be sure...are you?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    I'm curious as to any AMD card users using Steve's DX10 fixer... how's that working? I could never get that to work properly.
    Did you use the Guide? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ide-a-new-home!

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I've been using a Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB Graphics Card for over a year now and while not the latest greatest I'm very happy with the results. I have both FSX-Acceleration and FSX-SE installed and the latter is a much more stable product on my Win 8.1 system. FSX-A crashes once in a while but FSX-SE never has. The frame rates were set initially for Unlimited but I have pulled them down to 29 because my human eye can't tell a difference past 24 fps so why waste the processor cycles. Use it for more detail and faster rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    nice work, Storm - are you running Steve's DX10 Fixer?..it appears not as you are overriding the application AA, but just to be sure...are you?
    Not using DX10 or the Fixer. Yes, I am overriding the AA. Bearing in mind, you can get much sharper graphics than those settings but it comes with a performance price on systems that do not have an OCed CPU(which I don't, I use Intel TurboBoost with my i7-3770 which has a base line 3.40GHz and 16gb RAM). Anyhow, at those settings, my current FSX install has been mostly stable and smooth now for 2 years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an AMD user. Always have been.

Running an R9 200 Card with the latest drivers.. No real tweeks in the config for FSX...

I lock at 35 and rarely do they drop. I do fly mostly GA and short flights. I use GEX,FEX,Ultimate terrain and AS6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCC Settings for FSX.jpg  

Settings page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSX.jpg  

Sorry I had to put this info in so many posts.

My Only FSX tweeks are.

[Display]WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]
    HIGHMEMFIX=1
    ForceFullScreenVSync=1

UsePools=0 in [BufferPools] section

The effort is appreciated - Im sure it will help other AMD users get better results
    enter..the Sandman

I'm a long time ATI/AMD graphic card user. I left the "other" card many moons ago and haven't looked back. I have hesitated to ask for help for the very reasons exemplified in the first few posts above. However, thanks to the actual users of the product posting some of their settings (StormILM and Hdguy), and Johan posting a very useful link, this thread has been very helpful. I gained one setting correction that was causing some issues that I have been living with since my jump to X. The correction has made an huge difference in the appearance of my sim.

So, THANKS everyone, especially kiki for asking the questions!

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Members who have read this thread: 0