Windows 10 and FSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 and FSX

Windows 10 and FSX

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from our friends at Microsoft probably in the fall of 2015. Hard to say how FSX is going to run on this new OS. All we can do is to hope that FSX runs as well on 10 as it did on 7.

this prompts me to ask,when this upgrade comes..will 10 just install over what we have?..or do we have to lose everything and reinstall FSX?...i dont want to go through what i just did...took me almost 4 weeks to get it all together..

It comes out in July and there should be no re-installs.

Is this an upgrade for all supported versions of Windows and since when does Microsoft give something for free? There must be a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    Is this an upgrade for all supported versions of Windows and since when does Microsoft give something for free? There must be a catch.

this. exactly, was my first thought

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Windows 10

I have heard from a Win10 beta tester that it will not let you go back to your old operating system once it's installed. I don't know if this is true, but it would fit with Microbrain's business model. No dual boot either. If you get Win10, it sounds like you are stuck with it. If, and that's a very BIG if, I install Win10, it will be on a dedicated W10 system and not anywhere near either of my daily use 'puters. Agzin, I have no idea if this is true, but I for one am not going to chance it until the general public starts reporting on it "in service".

Steve
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

From what I know, Windows 10 is going to be the last "real" Windows. Everything beyond that is just going to be an upgradeable core operating system acting as a provider for comprehensive cloud-based services across devices. Think akin to Apple, who provide the same OS for all their devices.

I'm looking forward to 10 - provided I can make BBLean run to avoid any kind of unnecessary UI mumbo jumbo.

Chuckle chuckle! Is it Groundhog Day, again?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
    I have heard from a Win10 beta tester that it will not let you go back to your old operating system once it's installed. I don't know if this is true, but it would fit with Microbrain's business model. No dual boot either. If you get Win10, it sounds like you are stuck with it. If, and that's a very BIG if, I install Win10, it will be on a dedicated W10 system and not anywhere near either of my daily use 'puters. Agzin, I have no idea if this is true, but I for one am not going to chance it until the general public starts reporting on it "in service".

Steve
    I have Windows 10 technical preview installed as dual boot with Windows 8.1.
    There is always the option to either update the existing OS, in which case,
    with the preview, the process is not reversible, or perform a clean install, in
    which case dual boot is perfectly possible.

The offer is Windows 10 for current owners of Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    It is not obligatory and is free for the first year after the release of Windows 10.
    This does not mean the if you take advantage of the free offer, you will have to
    pay after a year, it does mean that if you acquire Windows 10 within a year of its
    release, you will not have to pay for it.

This appears to be an extension of the offer of Windows 8 for £24.99 for a limited
    period after its release.

I hope this dispels some of the nonsense being posted in various places.

The issues are going to be within the registry.

It's not just the import of FSX itself, but also the myriad of FSX add-ons that also cram the registry with all sorts of things.

I suppose we won't know about such things until someone actually installs the new OS over their old one and reports here on the outcome.

We're not cynical in any way, are we?

Dave

No need to be, I have FSX Steam running quite happily under Windows 10,
    even though it's the technical preview.
    No controller dropouts as there are under Windows 8.1.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    No need to be, I have FSX Steam running quite happily under Windows 10,
    even though it's the technical preview.
    No controller dropouts as there are under Windows 8.1.

Nick
    Good to hear, but did you install the OS over your previous one after FSX was installed or before?

We need to know what happens to the FSX install if the OS changes.

Dave

As I said above, a clean install dual booted with Windows 8.1.
    I would never upgrade in any case, a clean install gives a clean
    start and also as said above, you can't revert from the present
    technical preview.

OK, I've done my homework and I have a laptop that's dedicated to my astrophotography that meets the system requirements so I'm going to try windows 10 preview. If all goes well then I'll wait until the full release, install it and then install FSX and P3D then see how they function. My only other concern would be how it works with my Autodesk software.

OK, I've done my homework and I have a laptop that's dedicated to my astrophotography that meets the system requirements so I'm going to try windows 10 preview. If all goes well then I'll wait until the full release, install it and then install FSX and P3D then see how they function. My only other concern would be how it works with my Autodesk software.
    One of my developers at work uses autodesk for his home work (hobby 3D modelling) and is testing Windows 10 with it. I haven't heard a negative complaint yet.

Of course, It all boils down to what version of Autodesk you have. I imagine that if that version works with Windows 7 and 8, it should work with 10.

BTW, forget about the system requirements. I have Windows 10 running happily on a 6 year old Dell Laptop with 6 Gb's of ram. Old thing never ran this good!

Johan

Some of our customers and people I've spoken too also have good reports so far from the win10 tech demo. I think personally I'll be moving my laptop across first to 'test the water' and then if all's good move the desktop across. Ive already started double checking the backups etc for the desktop move. All rather exciting, and utterly terrifying at the same time haha

Roy Chaffin has this up on his website........http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html I am still using the beta and like it much better than 8.1, but still have 7 64 bit as my main system
    " Windows 10 - FREE "
    The latest version of 'Windows 10' (Build 9926) has been released for testing, and the good work continues So far it is a massive improvement on anything that has gone before, on any version of Windows.
    The development team, are certainly listening to the feedback that the testers are giving, which is something of a first
    The surprising news is, that all proper registered users of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8,1, will be entitled to a FREE upgrade to Windows 10, for 1 year after the official release date. So you will have time to make up your minds. Furthermore, I understand that all updates from then on, will be automatic and FREE. Which means that everyone on the planet will be using the same version at the same time. As a developer, and user, this will massively simplify things.
    The official release of Windows 10 is expected to be Autumn 2015.
    There is a raft of new features, never seen in Windows before, and over the next 6 months, we are promised much more.
    So the future is bright, if things keep going in the right direction.
    " Extra "
    Oh, 'FSX' and 'X-Plane 10' run well on Windows 10.
    I am yet to test MS Flight.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    One of my developers at work uses autodesk for his home work (hobby 3D modelling) and is testing Windows 10 with it. I haven't heard a negative complaint yet.

Of course, It all boils down to what version of Autodesk you have. I imagine that if that version works with Windows 7 and 8, it should work with 10.

BTW, forget about the system requirements. I have Windows 10 running happily on a 6 year old Dell Laptop with 6 Gb's of ram. Old thing never ran this good!

Johan
    While I use my desktop (actually a huge tower that I built and constantly upgrade) for more then Autodesk, 3ds Max Design 2015 is the primary use of the desktop. I would not want anything to cause problems for my modeling projects.
    I'm currently in the process of setting up my laptop to receive Windows 10 and will know more in a few hours.

If Roy Chaffin feels this is a good move, I am very inclined to believe it will be as well. Of course over the coming months we will have a good bit of time to see how well all goes with migration and how well all the addons interface with the new OS. Will be keeping a close eye on these discussions for information and advice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been running 10 on my laptop all day and can report that I have not run across any problems. All the software that was installed prior to installation works properly and a copy of Autodesk 3ds Max 9 on the laptop is functioning correctly. From what I see so far I do believe I will install 10 on my desktop as soon as the official release is out. The free thing still has me a little spooked though.

The only program that does not work with the Win 10 beta is Norton a/v. They do not support beta programs, but their website said as soon as win 10 is released their support will start for the full program. All other programs I had installed, including fsx work fine. Will be upgrading wife's win 8.1 as soon as it is available.
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    The only program that does not work with the Win 10 beta is Norton a/v. They do not support beta programs, but their website said as soon as win 10 is released their support will start for the full program. All other programs I had installed, including fsx work fine. Will be upgrading wife's win 8.1 as soon as it is available.
    Norton AV is famous for not working even when it's claimed to.
    I dumped all things Norton a decade ago [at the beginning of a subscription] when it successfully shut down the BITS service and prevented it from restarting.
    If you don't know what that is it's 'slightly' important - ie. without it you're mostly screwed.
    The 'cure' was quite a bit more complicated than just thumbing one's nose at NAV.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Norton AV is famous for not working even when it's claimed to.
    I dumped all things Norton a decade ago [at the beginning of a subscription] when it successfully shut down the BITS service and prevented it from restarting.
    If you don't know what that is it's 'slightly' important - ie. without it you're mostly screwed.
    The 'cure' was quite a bit more complicated than just thumbing one's nose at NAV.....
    I stopped using Norton a long time ago because it was a big system hog. I started using AVG when it first came out and have stuck with it ever since. It has never failed me. It is working fine with Windows 10.

Was there ever a Windows 9? Hey should we start calling it Windows X?

In all the years I have used Norton, never had a problem. I have had problems with other a/v. Each to his own. I worked in the IT dept with a software developer of Credit Union database systems, we used and tested many a/v programs, some better than others, Norton support was always on the ball, did we have problems, sure did, but over the years, Norton was always a good stable system. You had a problem and I understand your feelings, but market share speaks volumns . Tried Vipre systems, Microsoft likes them, screwed my system bad, they felt bad, offered no help. Stories, everyone has them
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

2T Storage HD

I stopped using Norton a long time ago because it was a big system hog. I started using AVG when it first came out and have stuck with it ever since. It has never failed me. It is working fine with Windows 10.

Was there ever a Windows 9? Hey should we start calling it Windows X?
    Win 8 was such a dog GUI-wise that no amount of cheap offers or even a little back-pedalling with 8.1 was enough to see an acceptable take-up market share they [MS] needed to distance themselves from it and skipped '9' in favour of something that looked distantly remote '10'.
    Stardock made quite a 'handy profit' marketing Start8 and ModernMix - 2 proggies that restored NORMAL win 7 functionality to the OS...and will see more of the same with 10.
    8 was a camel of an interface [ a horse designed by a committee]. Heads rolled over it.

Norton has improved its performance [it couldn't get worse] since the days of 2003 but I'll still avoid it like the plague. Still on XP then...I moved on to Bitdefender...which was significantly superior to the current [then] NAV but they were a bit too slow to make it compatible with 7 so at that point I moved to Kaspersky and have stayed there since.
    I'd always been an early adopter [via TechNet] using pre RTM vers though neither 8, 8.1 or 10 as a prime machine...relying instead on VM use.
    Back in 95/98 days I also was a beta tester for an AV proggy which isn't around anymore [InDefense]...so Kaspersky is it, with free vers of Comodo IS on several others.

The ONLY benefits with 8, 8.1 and 10 are 'under the hood' [the kernel]... the GUIs [shells] are still dogs.

They are capable of running on lesser spec'd machines than 7 [and definitely better than Vista- the Win ME of the modern era].

I'd expect FSX to be quite happy on 10 though am yet to fiddle - I usually chuck on the FSX demo to see how things behave....as if that's OK the full ver typically is too....

Members who have read this thread: 1