Windows 10 and FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 and FSX

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    provided I can make BBLean run to avoid any kind of unnecessary UI mumbo jumbo.
    Wow.... Blackbox for windows... now that is a blast from the past. I used the Blackbox window manager, and then later Fluxbox, extensively on my linux machines... had them tricked out pretty with transparent bash shells and such... back when I had dedicated linux machines.. which was easily ten years ago. Oh my, I feel old, all of a sudden.
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Wow.... Blackbox for windows... now that is a blast from the past. I used the Blackbox window manager, and then later Fluxbox, extensively on my linux machines... had them tricked out pretty with transparent bash shells and such... back when I had dedicated linux machines.. which was easily ten years ago. Oh my, I feel old, all of a sudden.
    I still have that on a VM somewhere....though at the time my main weapon of choice was Litestep...avoiding explorer.exe entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I still have that on a VM somewhere....though at the time my main weapon of choice was Litestep...avoiding explorer.exe entirely...
    mmmm.. yep, I recall playing with litestep as well, but I do recall I used darkstep more often on my win boxes. Back in those days, I used to be very, very involved in a 'modding' community that tore down and modded as much of the core windows UI as possible, replacing resources, using hex editors to modify strings, etc. The central idea was to make windows as light weight as possible, while making it have absolutely no resemblance to windows. Nowadays I find great enjoyment in modding FSX, but now it's through development tools and coding, without the need to reinstall an operating system every time you push things too far.
    Jim Stewart

Thanks for that Paul, if Max 9 runs then 2008 should too so I'm looking forward to trying 10 on the old XP drive. Love the gripes about Norton y'all: In 1997 Norton slowed my compost-powered abacus down so there's no way it's going near my hyperclocked quantum rig, moan drone chiz.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I've tried the regular Blackbox release a few times. Never got close to BBLean.

And embarassingly enough, I use XFace on Arch Linux. Configured like the classic Windows desktop.

750KB of BBLean are just so much better than 20MB of Explorer.exe.

mmmm.. yep, I recall playing with litestep as well, but I do recall I used darkstep more often on my win boxes. Back in those days, I used to be very, very involved in a 'modding' community that tore down and modded as much of the core windows UI as possible, replacing resources, using hex editors to modify strings, etc. The central idea was to make windows as light weight as possible, while making it have absolutely no resemblance to windows. Nowadays I find great enjoyment in modding FSX, but now it's through development tools and coding, without the need to reinstall an operating system every time you push things too far.
    Hahahaha, good and bad memories alike! The first step was a Windows XP CD made with nLite, the second was to shut down all services that were deemed not necessary and generally tweak the system to death and the third was wondering why you just can't share stuff when attending any LAN parties.

I love how simple everything got with 7. Up, running and tweaked in three to four hours instead of three days. And a reainstall every 200 years instead of every six months.
    Also, thanks to excessive amounts of RAM nowadays, you don't have to kill any services just because they take up 1.5MB of mmemory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've tried the regular Blackbox release a few times. Never got close to BBLean.

And embarassingly enough, I use XFace on Arch Linux. Configured like the classic Windows desktop.

750KB of BBLean are just so much better than 20MB of Explorer.exe.

Hahahaha, good and bad memories alike! The first step was a Windows XP CD made with nLite, the second was to shut down all services that were deemed not necessary and generally tweak the system to death and the third was wondering why you just can't share stuff when attending any LAN parties.

I love how simple everything got with 7. Up, running and tweaked in three to four hours instead of three days. And a reainstall every 200 years instead of every six months.
    Also, thanks to excessive amounts of RAM nowadays, you don't have to kill any services just because they take up 1.5MB of mmemory.
    Ah....nLite ...yet another blast from the past.

My 'skinning' days started at a time when I even know who first skinned Winamp [Fli7e] ...and LS.com and LS.net were a start... #skinnerz on efnet ... LoneRunnr's Litestep that [still] never got out of a 'beta'....then Customize.org....skinz.org [even Deviantart.com started as a skinning site...but Jark had bigger plans]....then ultimately Wincustomize.com - where I Admin 15 years later.
    Messing with shells...designing GUIs....all fun until someone gets hurt. Litestep used to lose track of a dll and cause windows to pop up the error 'You must reinstall Windows' that scared the pants off many.... it was fun times...

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Thanks for that Paul, if Max 9 runs then 2008 should too so I'm looking forward to trying 10 on the old XP drive. Love the gripes about Norton y'all: In 1997 Norton slowed my compost-powered abacus down so there's no way it's going near my hyperclocked quantum rig, moan drone chiz.
    Yep, 1997 was around the same time I came to the same conclusion about Norton. While they may have improved on the memory hoggishness I'm still very contented with AVG.
    Since there were no problems with Max 9 on my laptop with Win X (yes that's what I'm going to call it) I am not to concerned about it working with Max 2015 but that remains to be seen.

Win X..that's what it is called here too

just upgraded my lappie - took to it without a hitch...so far
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

From what I understand the free X upgrade is for only Win7 and up systems. Those with XP and Vista are not included. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gradyhappyg View Post
    From what I understand the free X upgrade is for only Win7 and up systems. Those with XP and Vista are not included. Is this correct?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

and from the email they sent me with the Win X link:
    What you keep when you upgrade

This table shows what you can keep when you upgrade from your current version of Windows. Keep in mind that no matter which operating system you’re upgrading from, you should play it safe and back up everything.
    To check your version, see Which Windows operating system am I running?
    If you're upgrading from You can keep
    Windows 8.1 or Windows 8
    Windows settings, personal files, and most apps
    Windows RT 8.1 or Windows RT
    Insider Preview doesn’t run on Windows RT systems
    Windows 7
    Windows settings, personal files, and most apps
    Windows Vista
    Nothing—you must boot from media and perform a clean install

Important

• If you're running Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7 and your system language isn't one of the available languages listed on the System requirements tab, you can only keep your personal files when you upgrade. You won't be able to keep your apps or Windows settings.
    Last edited by heywooood; May 21st, 2015 at 21:47.
    enter..the Sandman

The lack of some languages is only with the beta version of Win X. The official release will have that corrected.

Ah....nLite ...yet another blast from the past.

My 'skinning' days started at a time when I even know who first skinned Winamp [Fli7e] ...and LS.com and LS.net were a start... #skinnerz on efnet ... LoneRunnr's Litestep that [still] never got out of a 'beta'....then Customize.org....skinz.org [even Deviantart.com started as a skinning site...but Jark had bigger plans]....then ultimately Wincustomize.com - where I Admin 15 years later.
    Messing with shells...designing GUIs....all fun until someone gets hurt. Litestep used to lose track of a dll and cause windows to pop up the error 'You must reinstall Windows' that scared the pants off many.... it was fun times...
    Oh dear, I nostalgia'd hard. Especially at the mention of EFnet. IRC...good days!

After some new updates in Win X I installed FSXA with the DX10 preview turned on and went for a flight. Everything is still working well.

Has anyone actually updated to WinX on a system that already has FSXA on it? Does FSXA still work?

These are the $64k questions.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Has anyone actually updated to WinX on a system that already has FSXA on it? Does FSXA still work?

These are the $64k questions.

Dave
    Not really worth it...as any outcome is meaningless....the OS is definitely not 'RTM' yet...

Things WILL change...

Windows 10 is here for install

anyone installed it over W7 with fsx?

Not yet, But I definitely will!!! And I will report back. It will of course be on the modern sim which is Prepar3D v2.5.

I don't do FSX anymore.

Johan

I got an icon on taskbar but it seems its only a reserve... I see that only on july 29 it will be available!

Quote Originally Posted by res non verba View Post
    I got an icon on taskbar but it seems its only a reserve... I see that only on july 29 it will be available!
    Yep, same here. I did the "Reserve" thing, but it's not available for download yet.

Just to choke and neck wring an OS .. this PC is still XP , back in its day cost me $600NZ , reason its still here is the hardware did not have updates nor was there software that would work ... all the hardware works fine till it dies I'll stick with it "If it ain't broke don't fix .... or replace it" .

What I am wondering is, will hardware drivers be compatible with WIN 10/X?

I have the "reserve" on the toolbar of my laptop, but am having second thoughts about upgrading me FSX rig. Don't want to mess up a fine running sim, specially as I run software in networked setup, which probably will be a p... in the a... to re-create with a new OS.

Will probably use the laptop to get to know WIN X, before even thinking of upgrading me FSX rig,
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    What I am wondering is, will hardware drivers be compatible with WIN 10/X?

I have the "reserve" on the toolbar of my laptop, but am having second thoughts about upgrading me FSX rig. Don't want to mess up a fine running sim, specially as I run software in networked setup, which probably will be a p... in the a... to re-create with a new OS.

Will probably use the laptop to get to know WIN X, before even thinking of upgrading me FSX rig,
    that's what I did with the WinX beta...because WinX is still being tweaked and updated frequently - I have enough trouble keeping FSX happy
    enter..the Sandman

Personally to me it looks like just an upgrade..

Think I'll pass on it and purchase a full copy one day...

I do have it set to download when the time comes, just to have it for another machine to see how it goes. BUT not on my FSX rig that's for sure.. It just runs to good to chance borking it now.

I wonder if this thing will auto update over the internet or will they provide ISO downloads. If it auto updates, what happens if the hard drive tanks. Do you loose access to reinstall it?
    There are some unknowns here that give me pause till its actual release then look at what this is all about.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdguy View Post
    Personally to me it looks like just an upgrade..

Think I'll pass on it and purchase a full copy one day...

I do have it set to download when the time comes, just to have it for another machine to see how it goes. BUT not on my FSX rig that's for sure.. It just runs to good to chance borking it now.
    It's an Update, not an Upgrade. Free to all with legal versions of W7-W8.1
    In future, all future OS's will be updates of W10, that will be updated by the PC's operating system's update app.

Members who have read this thread: 1