Transparent plane wanted!

Thread: Transparent plane wanted!

Members +

Transparent plane wanted!

Now here's a weird request..
    Many years back, I found, for FS2002 but was perfect for FS2004, a transparent skinned Hurricane, that had a see-thru skin, but you could see all the spars, cockpit (in mil green) etc moving. I just cannot remember where I found this, but it was quite fun. I wonder if there is more like this? It was very interesting seeing what's beneath the skin & how things move.

You can do that yourself with any plane that doesn't have reflection enabled in the model file.

In the texture files, the alpha channel controls either the degree of reflectivity or transparency. Which one depends on the way the modeler set it up. If reflection is enabled, I don't know if there's any way to turn it off, but if reflection is not enabled, you can use the alpha channel to control transparency. It's simple - a pure white alpha channel keeps the plane completely opaque; a solid black alpha channel would make the plane invisible; shades of gray produce various degrees of translucency.

Actually, only the external parts of the plane, that are colored by the texture files, will be transparent or translucent; the internal parts of the model and any untextured external parts will remain visible, in whatever colors the modeler saved the model material.

Depending on the original format, you might need to convert the textures to a format that has an alpha channel. DXT3 is a highly compressed format that results in small file sizes, but it's a very lossy format and detail is lost or spoiled every time you open the file and save any changes. (That might not matter if you're making the plane transparent.) 32-bit 888 format is non-lossy and extremely high resolution, but file sizes are larger. (That probably doesn't matter with today's confuters.)

If you don't already have it, you'll want DXTbmp bitmap manipulator, freeware from Martin Wright Graphics, to work on the texture files.

There was a Paul Rebuffat Spitfire that had a reflective metal paint and used a different model than his other Spitfires. If used on his regular Spitfires, the bare metal bits became very opague with the painted bits and cockpit internals still showing through.

Edited to add: Found it hidden in the hanger behind the other Spitfires and took a few screenshots...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flight 19-2015-may-15-001.jpg   Flight 19-2015-may-15-002.jpg   Flight 19-2015-may-15-006.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I'm thinking you are referring to some planes that Corrado La Posta did. I didn't know if he did a Hurricane with this ability but I've seen several Bf-109s that go transparent and show off the internal structures with the tailhook command as well as the Caproni Campini motorjet. As far as I know these were for CFS2 but the Campini was for FS2004.

Combat Flight Simulator - CFS2 AircraftCFS2 Messerschmitt Bf 109 B
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: scw109b.zip
    Size: 1,956,045 Date: 09-17-2001 Downloads: 2,068

CFS2 Messerschmitt Bf 109 B. The B model (nicknamed Bruno) was the first serie of the one-o-nine to see operational service. This one was operated by staffel 2, J/88 during the Spanish civil war in 1937. Special feature of this model is the complete internal structure. By Corrado La Posta, panel by Michael Vader.

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 WarbirdsFS2004 Campini Caproni
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: cc1_fs04.zip
    Size: 4,135,348 Date: 09-26-2003 Downloads: 3,138

FS2004 Campini Caproni v2.0. The first Italian jet plane ever built, first flown August 27th 1940. A Gmax model with full internal structure and some nice special effects. 3D model by Corrado La Posta, .air file thanks to AvHistory, effects by Mark Perlotto.

Members +
    I remember even the wing stringers/formers had the holes in them. I must have a good look to find it again in my 'library'.

Members +
    Thanks for that Spitfire. It seems that most of the internals are missing. This Hurricane had all the internals in place, with a very ghostly skin.

Tried one of the CFS2 109s in my FS2004; didn't work out too well. Tried the Campini and got this:

If you find that Hurricane let us know. I certainly would like something like this Campini in Hurricane form
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caproni Campini.jpg   Caproni Campini Internals.jpg  

Hi Zwobbie1,

I know the Hurricane you mean...
    It was first published in the PC Pilot magazine back in the July/ August 2004 edition!
    The author is called Charles Kirk.
    I could not find him on the internet, but it was quite revolutionary for the time to model the inner workings in such detail.
    This was not just adjusting 'alphas', but purposely done.
    The magazine contains a four page article about his project.
    I still have the original files and you can always send me a PM for further research.

Regards, Stuart

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled2.jpg  

Members +
    Yes, thanks so much. Thats the one. Gracious, has it been 10 years already since I first saw that?
    I'll be PM'ing you shortly. I wonder if there is any more out there..
    Maybe those were the good 'ol days of sinking. Nowadays, everything is so highly detailed & flown by the book. I also have the Red Arrows flight. This was a formation of 9 planes in 1, if I remember. By using flaps, the formation can be changed. Easier to see than explain.

Cheers,
    Robin

Members who have read this thread: 0