Erik Jones
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erik Jones

Erik Jones

That was refreshing!

Another Kyle Bush without the attitude. Good kid!

Hey All,

He may do all right if he can learn. Runnin outta gas and then not paying attention an hitting the wall - he'll either learn or he won't. It's not much help bein at Gibbs. Once Logano gotta outta there you got to see the real Logano. Record speaks for itself - 1 win at Gibbs in 4+ years 7 at Penske in a bit over two years. We will see about Erik. Judgement reserved.

If he's a real talent then he would be a Joey Logano - youngest winner in both xfinity and sprint cup - if he's a kyle bush well we all know how that goes.

It was a good race last night - love fuel economy races. As the announcers said lower hp different aero package favors drivers skilled at the delicate use of the right foot. Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick are two of the best at that so it makes sense for them to have won the last 7 mile and a half track races. Yes I get that there was a late caution but before that caution what was happening? Kevin took tires and gas Jimmie stayed out with enough gas and hoped two tires was a mistake as far enough back (Junior in between) and maybe a mismatch - guess what happened.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

EasyEd,
    Gotta hand it to you - Leave it to you to be the only one that can throw out insults in what's meant to be a strictly complimentary thread... LoL!

Hey All,

Insulted who? Facts are facts. Erik seems like a nice young kid with a good attitude who did a very forthright interview and I hope he does well.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Insulted who? Facts are facts. Erik seems like a nice young kid with a good attitude who did a very forthright interview and I hope he does well.

-Ed-
    Still waitin for ya' to entertain us with same volume & level of Danica facts...

Hey All,

Don't know what you are talking about with Danica. She is still the only woman to have won a major series open wheel race and then turned around a sat on the pole at the Daytona 500. No amount of history twisting will ever erase those facts and facts are what you go by. That said I don't know about her future next year since Go daddy is leaving NASCAR. I don't think it is because of her record as she will still be on a contract to Go Daddy. Even if Go daddy were sponsoring Jimmie Johnson they would apparently be leaving. All that aside as well - I don't think SHR (thats Stewart Haas racing) is giving her and her crew chief the attention they need to win (like Logano and probably Erik at Gibbs). SHR now does not have the levelness they need for Danica to do well with - I suspect - the other drivers getting more attention/resources. I think the aero/HP package this year would favor her a bit but we will see. That said I like her as a driver and hope she gets a break and can keep driving.

-Ed-

Lightbulb

Hey All,

Don't know what you are talking about with Danica.
    -Ed-

She is on a team with Hendrick power, as team mates, she has not one, not two, but THREE prior cup champions. No other driver has had this caliber of experience built around them that she has. These are the facts.
    Thus with Hendrick power and the experience of THREE CUP CHAMPIONS to coach her, I expect nothing short of excellence.

Hey All,

Not when the three cup champions are self absorbed. Think about it. I like Harvick as you know but a true team player - I don't think so. Bush and Stewart not even worth a comment as self evident. If I had my way Danica would be a third car at Penske. I think Brad Joey and Danica with Roger would be outstanding for Danica.

-Ed-

Lightbulb

Harvick and Kurt are currently showing excellent team work!
    There must have been a reason why ol Roger was in no rush to get her on his Indycar team too.

There are Cup drivers now that would kill to be in Danica's shoes right now and have Hendrick HP with 3 Champions to watch and learn from.

Hey All,

Harvick and Busch - In your opinion which is exactly what it is. it ain't Busch winning on the 1.5 mile tracks...

Roger is regrettin that I suspect....

Other cup drivers need to earn it... Just my belief.

-Ed-

Been nice debating this with you Ed.....Once again as usual, you're right and I'm wrong...

Hey All,

Well the season can go on an we'll see.

I do know and I really hope all is well and turns out well with you and yours.

-Ed-

PS And as you know it is always gonna be an "Ed" that is right!!
    Last edited by EasyEd; May 12th, 2015 at 19:50.

Hey All,

Yeah he may do well - he certainly seems to have the right kind of character. We will see. I believe that the team you are associated with matters - alot. Lets take wonder boy Kyle Larson. He has run 50 or more races with Gnassi and has yet to see a top 15 finish. He may have the talent but I'm not convinced he is in a good place although he hasn't yet hit a track dryer. Now look at Ryan Blaney - drives for Keselowski and will likely come into the Penske fold - a really good place to be. Ditto Chase Elliot who will drive the 24 Hendrick car - another really good place to be. Note Elliot, Blaney NASCAR families so of course they are going to what are probably the premier teams. Look at the Dillon brothers - both drive for Richard and are his grandsons. Now they may not have the talent of Erik or Ryan or Chase but look at them - in a good place - rides secure thanks to Grandpa. NASCAR is family - that is how it is. I present Logano as evidence that where you are matters - see above stats.

-Ed-

Lightbulb

. I present Logano as evidence that where you are matters - see above stats.

-Ed-
    Don't forget to add Harvick to the list too. No championship until he went to Haas.
    And thus I rest my case with Danica (i.e.she is woefully underperforming given where she is at).

You are correct - where you are matters....Look at Harvick's stats (and look at how Kurt is benefitting from his situation with Harvick).

Hey All,

Don't equate Stewart Haas with Hendrick. They are different.

Now Harvick.

From wiki... but basically right.
    For 2001, Childress planned to run Harvick in the #2 Chevy in the Busch Series full-time again, while developing him into the Winston Cup Series (now Sprint Cup Series) with up to seven races in the #30 AOL-sponsored Chevy. He planned to race Harvick for a full schedule in 2002. The death of Dale Earnhardt on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 changed Childress's plans, and Harvick began his first Sprint Cup race the following week in Rockingham at the Dura Lube 400. For Harvick's first two races, the car ran an inverted color scheme, the number changed from 3 to 29, and the pit crew wore generic uniforms. In the third race of the season, the car was painted white and red, while Harvick wore a white-and-red uniform. His pit crew continued to wear the traditional GM Goodwrench Service Plus uniforms.

On March 11, 2001 at the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store 500, only three weeks after Earnhardt's death, Harvick won his first career Winston Cup victory in just his third start by narrowly edging Jeff Gordon at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He won the race by only six one-thousandths of a second (.006), proving to be one of the closest finishes in NASCAR history since the introduction of electronic scoring in 1993. After the win, Harvick performed a tire-smoking burnout on the front stretch. Remembering Dale Earnhardt, with three fingers held aloft outside the driver's window, he ran the track backwards as a show of honor and respect.[3] Winning in his third career start, Harvick became the fastest driver to win his first Winston Cup race in the modern era, breaking the record set by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. in 2000. That record was previously held by the elder Earnhardt.

He recorded his 2nd Cup win of his career at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois.[4] At the end of the season, he finished with 2 victories, 6 Top 5's, and 16 Top 10's. Harvick was awarded with the NASCAR Rookie of the Year Award, and secured a 9th-place finish in the 2001 points standings. He also won the Busch Series championship, becoming the first driver to win the Busch Series championship while also driving full-time in the Winston Cup Series with a Top 10 finish. Harvick would end the season winning 6 pole positions, and driving in 69 races: 35 Cup Series, The Winston, 33 Busch races, and 1 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series at Richmond International Raceway for Rick Carelli.
    Harvick stepped into some HUGE HUGE shoes and did one he!! of a job filling them as a rookie. When Dale crashed in turn 4 at Daytona it was for me the first time in my life I felt the hand of death. Sure my mother had passed, most of my grandparents had passed and yes I was crushed by that but Earnhardt - impossible. I felt it more deeply than I ever thought possible - cried like a baby - even while asking myself why? I saw the same phenomena at the death of Kennedy with my mother when I was young and other women at the death of Lady Di. I don't know what it is but it is real. How in the world could I watch NASCAR after that? Kevin Harvick doing what he did with all pressure to this day amazes me. I'm a Harvick fan even though I know fully well what an azz he can be and yes his performance slipped but I think the RCR cars slipped even more. He slipped into some mediocrity for awhile but I think now he is feeling the pressure of time and he is simply that good - his rookie year showed it. Oh and I used to live in Bakersfield.

Now I never said Danica is a born star but she is good and takes care of her equipment and I think it good that there is at least one woman driver. I think she needs a better CC and I think it possible she might win a race on strategy not "slicing and dicing" which I know she can do - I saw it in some open wheel - it just isn't her ordinary way. I'm not impressed by slicing and dicing anyway - it is not how you win championships - it is just another tool in the box - and not the strongest one.

-Ed-

Lightbulb

Forgot to mention...
    Kahne BARELY beat him in the trucks - but Kahne's truck failed post-race inspection....

He just finished 3rd XFinity @ Iowa...

Nice Truck win.....

He just won again (Xfinity)...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    He just won again (Xfinity)...
    Yup!

Hey All,

YUP! Amazing who can win when cup regulars take the weekend off.

-Ed-

Amazing who can win when cup regulars take the weekend off.
    Jones is not an Xfinity Series regular either...

Lightbulb

Hey All,

YUP! Amazing who can win when cup regulars take the weekend off.

-Ed-
    Obviously,
    You missed this April's O'Reilly Auto Parts 300 where Erik Jones won the race beating out Keselowski, Dale Jr, & Denny Hamlin....

Members who have read this thread: 0