Freeware vehicles for WW2 sceneries - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeware vehicles for WW2 sceneries

If you are still looking for vehicles Cees I made a bunch of US ones for my Hobbs USAAF base that I released several years ago. They are all part of a library so they can easily be placed in other scenarios.

The library includes several truck styles (covered and open and also with fuel bowsers), Jeeps (including some with trailers), Dodge Carryalls (as ambulances and staff cars), fire trucks and even a tracked tractor towing bomb trailers.

The download for Hobbs can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...p=20&keyid=129
    Larry

I'll check it out Larry, thanks!

Cees

Edit: That's great! These vehicles are really awesome!

Glad you like them Cees.

If these are going into a package you plan on releasing could I get a credit in the documentation as the creator please.

Thanks.

Oh BTW, if you are planning on releasing this scenery you should point out that if the end user already has Hobbs installed they should not install the truck library again as they will already have it and as you probably know you can't have multiple instances of the same library files active at the same time.
    Larry

I too am still looking for more vehicles (got all Ian's and Roger-Wilco's already.....) I also am making photos of German vehicles and was hoping to build some myself... but the 'Italian Move' sorta got in the way of things. Sandra-Marion - an internet friend of mine - also made some German WW2 trucks..... I will ask her, they are freeware I think.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Glad you like them Cees.

If these are going into a package you plan on releasing could I get a credit in the documentation as the creator please.

Thanks.

Oh BTW, if you are planning on releasing this scenery you should point out that if the end user already has Hobbs installed they should not install the truck library again as they will already have it and as you probably know you can't have multiple instances of the same library files active at the same time.
    That is very obvious to me. I never let the work of other people pass as my own. Thank you so much for bringing your objects to my attention and for letting me use them.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    I too am still looking for more vehicles (got all Ian's and Roger-Wilco's already.....) I also am making photos of German vehicles and was hoping to build some myself... but the 'Italian Move' sorta got in the way of things. Sandra-Marion - an internet friend of mine - also made some German WW2 trucks..... I will ask her, they are freeware I think.
    Thanks Francois!

Cees

Cees,

In the CFS3 section, somebody called 'airfighter55' has released quite some vehicles for CFS3. Perhaps you can get his source files.

Cheers,
    Huub

His work is outstanding, but it is not really airfield stuff!

Cees

Didn't quite escape.
    My WOT8 gained something resembling a transmission this morning. It's plodding along very slowly, but I intend to get there in the end.

I've downloaded the models you recommended, Cees, but not had chance to look at them yet. Most of today has been spent upping lumens in DAZ Studio and failing to make the bit I want to light get lighter!

Ian P.

Didn't quite escape.
    WOT's this I see in the sim at last?

Guess I'd better give it a lid, next.

Ian P.

Great!

Cees

Didn't quite escape.
    They're breeding, I tell you... (Although they've been told to stop now!)

Not sure what's next on the table, but I've zipped them up if Cees, Francois or anyone else wants to use them. In case of confusion, "bu" is blue, "bn" is tan (brown) and "od" is olive drab: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/ijpobjects/WOT8.zip.

Ian P.

Do you make these in Gmax?

Cees

PS: started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails started.jpg  

Didn't quite escape.
    Blender, Cees.

It was a bit of a learning curve to get used to after dealing with gmax (and briefly 3DS Max) for so long, but now I'm more used to it, I can turn out much better models, much quicker, than I could in gmax. The UVW mapping, in particular, is massively easier and you can do Ambient Occlusion renders to improve texturing. Add to that the fact that the 3d preview window actually works, rather than being an abstract painting and, in general, I can see no reason whatsoever to go back to gmax, once I have ported over the remaining models that I haven't, yet.

In many cases, recreating them in Blender will actually be quicker and easier than getting them out of gmax in a format that anything else can read!

Ian P.

Didn't quite escape.
    Bad netiquette, replying to yourself, but I doubt that Cees will object in this instance...

They may not look like much, but they're an addition to the collection. Red and Black chequered RAF runway caravans - equally usable by any other Allied aerial unit, because the things were scratch-built on the airfield, by whoever had nothing better to do and from whatever was to hand!

I really should finish the K6 that I started, to go with yours, Cees (it's got a different back but, as usual, I'm planning on making it a bit modular...) although I think I'd better do something else that can fit on the same texture sheet as the caravans, first.

Ian P.

Ian..

These old vehicles are great and I use them around a number of airfields. However (and here's the rub).. they'd look better still if they had shadows underneath. Would this be an easy thing to do or a Royal pain in the butt?

Keep 'em coming anyway
    ATB
    DaveB

Very nice Ian. I can see many happy hours scattering these around my (or should I say your) airfields !

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Ian..

These old vehicles are great and I use them around a number of airfields. However (and here's the rub).. they'd look better still if they had shadows underneath. Would this be an easy thing to do or a Royal pain in the butt?

Keep 'em coming anyway
    ATB
    DaveB
    Royal pain in the butt, unfortunately. Getting the transparency right is something I have not yet achieved. I keep ending up with clearly visible rectangles, but when I do, they'll all get shadows, believe me. They all have ground polys with AO rendered shadows on them, ready to use! (For those who don't know, Ambient Occlusion is a fake, directly overhead, area light. Therefore it creates a shadow that is not light direction dependent.)

Edited to add: Probably not hours, Dick... What it really needs is an external module to put only one, at the end of the active runway only, as would happen in the real world. Unfortunately, I neither have the skill, nor the knowledge, to be able to create such a thing.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Didn't quite escape.
    Right. Well. Here's the lineup as of 2100BST this evening...

Colour scheme as follows:
    BU = Royal Blue
    C1 = "Mickey Mouse Ears" camo (standard RAF camo as of 1940)
    C2 = "aircraft style" camo (occasionally used on airfields because, umm, they could?)
    DS = Desert Sand (non-standard desert paint)
    GY = Ocean Grey (Civilian Governmental vehicles, occasionally used by other people)
    MS = Middle Stone (standard Desert paint)
    OD = RAF Olive Drab. Not entirely sure why I did this, but it's there.
    RD = Red, only there as a slightly sarcastic nod to Airfix's errors in their WW2 airfield vehicle sets...
    US = USAAF Olive Drab with USAAF insignia (used early in the war while waiting for ships to arrive with US vehicles on...)

GS = "General Service" - freight bodied, basically. C = Closed/Canopy, F = Flatbed, O = Open "pickup".

Albion AM463 Ambulance: BU, C1, DS, GY, MS
    Albion AM463 3-point Fueller: : BU, C1, DS, GY, MS
    Albion AM463 GSC: : BU, C1, DS, GY, MS
    Albion AM463 GSF: : BU, C1, DS, GY, MS
    Albion AM463 GSO: : BU, C1, DS, GY, MS
    Austin "Tilly": BU, C1, C2, DS, MS, OD, RD
    Austin K2A GSC: BU, C1, C2, DS, GY, MS, US
    Austin K2A GSO: BU, C1, C2, DS, GY, MS, US
    Austin K2Y Ambulance: BU, C1, C2, DS, GY, MS, US
    Austin K30 GSC: BU, C1, C2, DS, GY, MS, US (the cab on this needs revisiting, I'm not happy with it)
    Austin K30 GSO: BU, C1, C2, DS, GY, MS, US (the cab on this needs revisiting, I'm not happy with it)
    Crossley IGL3 Crash Tender: BU, C1, GY, MS, OD, RD
    Fordson WOT8 GSC: BU, C1, MS, OD
    Fordson WOT8 GSO: BU, C1, MS, OD

Generic airfield runway control trailers in black/white chequers and red/white chequers.

That's 83 models in total, so far. Next up, I'll either create Bedford M/O series trucks, or maybe some tractor/trailer combos (the AM463, K30 and Bedford OXC were all used as tractors with 6-ton trailers or Queen Mary aircraft trailers). Not sure yet. I also still need to redo some AEC Matadors.

Further to my comments about runway caravan placement in the post above, thanks to Stevo and ACG, I've also now discovered SODE, which looks like it will have a lot of uses and create a lot more work for me. The FSX@War types might like it, though, as it means that I'll have to recreate half the models as Simobjects...

Cheers,

Ian P.

Way to go Ian!

Cees

Deary me.. I need a bigger HD!

ATB
    DaveB

Didn't quite escape.
    I need to move them to a bigger open area of RAF Watton to use as a car park... I'm running out of space where they are!

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I need to move them to a bigger open area of RAF Watton to use as a car park... I'm running out of space where they are!

Ian P.

Cees

Didn't quite escape.
    Bedford OXD GSO & GSC, OXC tractor with 6-ton flatbed, GSO and GSC trailers.

Ocean Grey only so far, but that's because I've been modelling trailers rather than changing colours. I'll probably convert the AM463 to a tractor and maybe revisit the K30, then convert that to a tractor, build a 2-compartment tanker and a Queen Mary aircraft trailer, before I start painting them. I may also extend the OXDs to become OYDs. No, I am not doing an OXA.

Edited to add: The origin points for the tractor and trailers are the centre of the Tasker Coupling, so if you put tractor and trailer in exactly the same place, the couplings will meet and you can then rotate either end as required.

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 2