Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP)

Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP)

Anyone ventured over to Rob's Aerofiles lately??? He's working on a Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer. Looks as if he's going to give us numerous models and load outs. Some latest screens of the Skylancer!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky2.jpg   Sky1.jpg   Sky3.jpg   Sky4.jpg  
    OS Vista 64 Home Basic
    WD 1.5 TB HD
    EVGA 550Ti 2GB MEM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS 8GB RAM
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHZ
    XION High Performance 1000W PS
    FSX/Acceleration

I have wanted one of these for a long time. This is so cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Have been following this wip for awhile now, looks superb!
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Blog Entries
    One of three "dream of a lifetime" models I thought I'd never see in FSX. Words fail to convey my delight.

Rob, I have a good number of books and tech drawings for this type. Let me know if you need anything that could help.

DL

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I have really loved this aircraft since watching it being tested at Moffit field. I never thought we would see this. Thanks Rob.

before you know it there might be a F8U-3 Crusader!

Bet that one's going to get a lot "What if...?" paints.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    One of three "dream of a lifetime" models I thought I'd never see in FSX. Words fail to convey my delight.

Rob, I have a good number of books and tech drawings for this type. Let me know if you need anything that could help.

DL
    Thank you DL, I've been working to "Naval Fighters No 35 Douglas F5D-1" kindly given to me by a member here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern
    Bet that one's going to get a lot "What if...?" paints.
    I hope so, there will be a paint kit.

RobR

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    RobR
    That's awesome. I keep thinking of many of the Crusader Paint schemes that could be applied to this bird, in both the early high viz schemes and and later low viz camo gray schemes.

BTW, thanks for modeling this Rob.

I always thought the "Fords" (F4D's) were cool looking aircraft, although I only saw them occasionally at NAS Glenview when I was a kid. Looking forward to seeing Rob's F5D in fleet squadron paint jobs.

Blog Entries
    Thank you DL, I've been working to "Naval Fighters No 35 Douglas F5D-1" kindly given to me by a member here.

RobR
    I have that book (great little book), and in addition, (what I think is the best book ever on the F4D and F5D) - Mark Frankel's "Killer Rays". Over 200 pages of amazing technical and pilot account material. Every paint scheme of every unit that flew the two types, and many more fantastic references. If either you or any serious repainter wishes to borrow it, I'll make it available. PM me for details.

My one observation (which unfortunately, travelling and not having access to my aforementioned book, I cannot confirm) is the VC view presents the side windscreen pillars raked rather sharply up/vertically. I believe they'd form a less tall triangle on either side of the centre support. As seen here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/images_mai07/douglas_skylancer_cockpit.jpg[/ATTACH]

Again, it could simply be the eyepoint position, or my mistaken perspective - all possible. Certainly not wanting to criticize - just observations for potential consideration.

Again, thrilled to bits.

dl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails douglas_skylancer_cockpit.jpg  

The VC view at the top is an early build taken in FSX wideview giving a distorted prospective.
    The model has undergone quite a few changes since then and will no doubt change even more.
    If its perfection your after better pay the 50 bucks and go to MILVIS, their models are almost faultless!

RobR

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update Rob,

Your dedication to "non-vanilla" models, be it RAF/RN FAA, or other Cold War aircraft is what makes your work unique, highly valued, and easily the equal in terms of enjoyability of the large-scale commercial releases. The sad reality is more than likely, those devs would never take on something as interesting, if a bit obscure, as this F5D.

So am eagerly looking forward to this - and again, if you need that book, just say the word.

Regards,

dl

Happy days, thanks for pointing this one out.
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Blog Entries
    Just keeping this thread alive .... New WIP shots on Rob's home page....

http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk

Very very stoked about this project.

DL

I don't really like this jet in real life, but I have to admit that Rob did a pretty good job at modelling it.
    And I'm especially pleased by the textures he's using, looks like photorealistic:

Rob, wow, THANK YOU! I've always thought the Skylancer was one of the most beautiful jet designs ever (shocked, shocked I say, that anyone could not like it, Daube!). Never dreamed we'd see one in the sim. This and the F8U-3 Crusader III are my favorite "what if" planes of the 50s/60s era.

Can't wait to fly this. Rob, your work is so appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Rob, wow, THANK YOU! I've always thought the Skylancer was one of the most beautiful jet designs ever (shocked, shocked I say, that anyone could not like it, Daube!). Never dreamed we'd see one in the sim. This and the F8U-3 Crusader III are my favorite "what if" planes of the 50s/60s era.

Can't wait to fly this. Rob, your work is so appreciated!
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Don't worry too much about Daube’s opinion, he seldom misses an opportunity to say something negative about one of my models.

Awesome Rob, to see the matured grownup Ford, the F5D seeing the light within FSX! What kind of weapon options/configs do you have in mind.... or this is too early to tell perhaps?

Cheers,
    Hank

Fantastic work Rob! I love all the "what if" planes. Now if you want a challenge try the XF-92A. two variants of the prototype. one without and one with afterburner. hint hint I'd love to get the non-AB a nice coat of polish one that aluminum! I love the research jets of the 50s.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    It's hard to argue the F5D being an unattractive plane - 'guess I'm biased towards deltas. Agree that from the WIPs, Rob's textures look pretty sweet.

Paint-scheme-wise, while it's expected that "Neil Armstrong" paint scheme would feature prominently, I'm impressed with the lesser known evaluation schemes appear to be featured too - thanks Rob!! The 4 airframes wore some smart schemes ... here's an early NACA scheme:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f5d1_01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	23407

then shortly became NASA ...

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi...-6475_full.jpg

Given the very short evaluation period of the plane (it was cancelled as an operational option I believe around 1958/59, bowing out to the already-chosen F-8) - it at least had a useful testbed / evaluation life (until mid-1970). Sparrow I was captive carried (not sure about actually launched, though) and as shown in Rob's first set, the internal bay carried either the 6 x Zunis or 72 x Mighty Mouse rockets. I think the Sidewinder was also trialed (not sure about fired), and I've only seen bombs mounted in drawings, not actually mounted. But for the purpose of "what if" - It's cool that Rob appears to be modeling all the options.

Some other interesting tidbits ... here's a rare shot of a nose camera installation - not for reconnaissance per se, but I believe for A2A filming of test aircraft (flew chase for at least a few X-15 launches, so possibly in support of that programme).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E61-7288.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	23406

With it's DFRC connections to both the X-20 and the lifting-body programme in general, it's place in the ancestry in such craft as the Space Shuttle is well deserved. Rob's labours on this will no doubt be a fitting tribute.

dl

Yeah, I've been going over the Dyna-Soar approach tests performed by the Skylancer to fly when Rob is finished. I check his site every day to see if we're there yet.

I have to say that I think the Skylancer is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.
    I do love a delta.
    I'm in the process of TacPacking the model with ZUNI's, Sparrows and mk-82s
    But as I only have the P3D version of TacPack it's just for that sim at the moment.

RobR

I have to say that I think the Skylancer is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.
    I do love a delta.
    I'm in the process of TacPacking the model with ZUNI's, Sparrows and mk-82s
    But as I only have the P3D version of TacPack it's just for that sim at the moment.

RobR
    Awesome news Rob !

Hank

Blog Entries
    Great news indeed.

I always suspected your proclivities for deltas (the F-106 came straight out of nowhere, as did this ...) ... now I understand!

Rick's XF-92A idea is interesting - makes one wish for a back-dated KEDW set in the '50s ...

The AS/V F4D Skyray gets very regular flying time with me, despite its age (actually, I'm pretty happy with the model, it's the VC that's a bit old), so if you're ever inclined to one of those, I'm sure it'll be a hit. So too, would an X-24B - a delta (of sorts!) with no weapons to TacPac ...

Anyway - looking forward to the F5D - stuff of dreams, for sure!

dl

Members who have read this thread: 4