Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP)

So your a fan of delta's? I have some nice engineering drawings with cross sections of the F-108. I know it wasn't built, but I've always liked it and won't be getting around to modeling it anytime soon. Just saying.

Thanks for all of your work Rob. I still regularly fly the wings off of the Vampires/Venoms and Meteors. Well, everything you've modeled, but those in particular.

Blog Entries
    F-108 - that would be a cool subject! Man, did North American know how to design nice planes: FJ4/4 Fury, - A-5 Vigilante - before they got the humpback, XB-70 Valkyrie ...

Hey, in the "let' see if we can really annoy Rob with ideas" race - there's always the CF-105 Avro Arrow ...

... better run before I get clobbered ...

Back to the topic on hand, another picture of the "ugly bird" ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11779L-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	23447

dl

SOH-CM-2023
    Rob:

Can you give us an estimate when your site maintenance will be done ?? Thank You.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Rob:

Can you give us an estimate when your site maintenance will be done ?? Thank You.
    Works for me, now ... (15:48 PST)

dl

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Works for me, now ... (15:48 PST)

dl
    DL:

I am STILL getting britsim.com as down for maintenance -- unless I have the wrong URL.

Would you post the URL that you are accessing, please ?? Thank You.

Blog Entries
    DL:

I am STILL getting britsim.com as down for maintenance -- unless I have the wrong URL.

Would you post the URL that you are accessing, please ?? Thank You.
    ah - there's your problem - britsim's been down for ages. That's not where Rob's stuff lives. It lives here:

http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/

that should get you going ....

dl

SOH-CM-2023
    DL:

Thank You, Sir. I figured there HAD to be a simple reason.

Blog Entries
    DL:

Thank You, Sir. I figured there HAD to be a simple reason.
    Glad you're sorted. Am a big fan of Rob's work - anything to spread the word of his work is the least one can do.

dl

The trouble with modelling aircraft like the Skylancer and others mentioned above is that they may not be familiar to many people but those that are familiar with them know everything there is to know about them making it a risky business for me!

RobR

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    The trouble with modelling aircraft like the Skylancer and others mentioned above is that they may not be familiar to many people but those that are familiar with them know everything there is to know about them making it a risky business for me!

RobR
    Yep, and really, even after all the years spent in the Air Force, I'd never heard of this current model. If it wasn't in the Air Force inventory as an active aircraft, I wasn't concerned or even interested in what test bed aircraft were being worked on. For those who find that interesting. . .who am I to question it, but on average I think most would be far more interested in the more well known/recognized Military Aircraft. As a freeware developer Rob you have the latitude to delve into aircraft like this and obviously there is a segment of the simming community that are stoked to see it being built but as you mention, there's a limit to just how far you can go with "unknown" aircraft before you're on the short end of the stick. lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post

RobR
    Rob, your work with lesser-known types, just like that of Tim Conrad, Craig Richardson, Lionheart's etc. - bring to life models with interesting, unique history. For those who either have, or wish to expand, their historical aeronautical understanding, they are a fabulous gift. For those happy to stay mainstream, they are blessed with umpteen variations of C152s, F-16s, and P-51s from the developers thus inclined. It's win-win. Obviously, you'll take on whatever projects you desire - but if you're considering some of these (or other) lesser known types, please don't worry about what we may or may not know about them.

For my part, I'm by no means an expert on the Cold War test/evaluation aircraft. Yes, it's my primary area of flight sim interest, and have collected many books and reference material over the years on the operations at DFRC, and certain of the test programmes (X-15, and lifting bodies in particular). Have visited Dryden Flight Research Centre a number of times, and taken some photos - but nothing "professional" or "industry-grade" per se.

If it's a type I know, and am passionate about, I'll usually offer help or insight/observations. It's never meant to second guess, much less criticize your work. Only meant to help. Indeed, I'd happily trade all my "historical knowledge" for a pound of your modeling talent.

Anyway - your other projects have been awesome - and very well received. I see this one being no different.

dl

Blog Entries

For you TP-ers out there ...

... Rob has some new screenshots:

http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/

Model is looking good Rob ... goodness, this wait's going to be hard!

dl

Any news from the Skylancer? Can't wait to land on a Carrier with her. 

Blog Entries
    Rob was VERY kind and offered me a chance to fly/test it. It's still WIP, but it's already simply stunning.

I'll post some shots in a day or so.

I think he's a bit busy now, but he'll will advise of further progress when he gets there.

thanks,

dl

Hello All,
    Thanks for the interest in the Skylancer.
    Flightsim work, for me, has had to be put on hold for the time being as my wife has just undergone eye surgery.
    A while back she had a serious fall and was knocked out and although she had a head scan at the time it was not until much later that a Macular tear was picked up.
    The surgical procedure was long and complicated as is the convalescence and, as you can imagine, my mind is on this.
    On a brighter note at least my cooking is improving....well, I think it is.
    I still manage a quick look in on SOH most days though.

Regards
    RobR

Look after the good lady Rob. Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Hey Rob:

Hope your wife is progressing along well and the recovery time is short for her..

Bill

Wow, Rob, I hope she has a full and speedy recovery. Or should I call you Chef Rob?

Like Delta Lima, Rob has also allowed me to fly it and I'm loving it. I've been meaning to post some pics as well, but I've been busy making a complete new version of the news letter for the modeling (IPMS) club I'm in using software I haven't used before, which has been time consuming. Having said that, the news letter has to be completed tonight so I'll have free time this weekend to post some shots of the Sky Lancer as well. You guys are gonna love it when it's released.

Let me share some WIP pics of this awesome plane Rob allowed me to use.

Rob, I hope your wife is having a speedy but healthy recovery to get you back to "work" .... or are you're planning to become a new "Gordon Ramsay" ??

Hank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skylancer 1.jpg   Skylancer 2.jpg   Skylancer 3.jpg   Skylancer 4.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Rob:

How's the wife getting along ?? And have you moved past eating salads ??

Blog Entries
    Hey Rob - how your wife is getting better!

As promised (however belatedly) - finally had a few minutes to take some shots. The venue is a beta I'm so thrilled to be a part of - Calclassic's Bernie Bockheim is working on a "Cape Canaveral 1962" FSX scenery pack. Can't think of a better way to combine two amazing projects. They're not intended as glamour shots, just part of beta feedback, so the FPS counters are there for reference sake. I'm not a noddy, dvj or other screenshot superhero, so I acknowledge these are pretty basic. Anyway, some pics ....

Full scenery dev thread here: http://calclassic.proboards.com/thre...ce-exploration

The confluence of both this scenery and this aircraft is the "right stuff" of dreams I never imagined would come to light in FSX. Here's to some great devs who are making them come true.

dl

Curious how this thing handles on approach to carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Very nicely Bjoern!

Hank

Coolio. Is the view from the cockpit as bad as in the Skyray on appoach?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    As to the real one? Just snapped a page from one of my F5D books:

According to the FY 1957 Fighter Aircraft Readjustments memo sent to the Secretary of Defence, the following summary captures some of the performance highlights vis-a-vis some of the current / soon-to-arrive / competing fighter platforms. Specifically, approach speeds were charted, and according to the report, its' approach speed (at 142 kts) was tied with the proposed F8U-3 III (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought...3_Crusader_III), with the highest being the current F8U-1 (production Crusader) at 145 kts. All others listed (Skyray, Phantom, etc.) were lower, with the F3H Demon the lowest at 130 kts.

That element alone might seem problematic, but as a whole, both the Douglas factory pilots, Patuxent River lead Navy test pilot Cdr Tom Gallegher and others noted very few performance or capability issues - certainly compared to those faced by the Skyray. By all accounts, its fate was political (near monopoly by Douglas on Navy procurement) and potentially duplication of capability with F-8 Crusader. Over the two first phases of test flying (1. factory, 2. NATC Patuxent River) it passed with flying colours. The third (3. Navy Preliminary Evaluation) is where it hit the skids, with the lead test pilot (Alan Shepard - yes, that Alan Shepard) of that phase recommending against its requirement. The rest is sadly, history.

That is, until its NASA rebirth, which gave it a long, albeit narrowly focused career.

DL

Members who have read this thread: 4