New US Super Pershing released for CFS3

Thread: New US Super Pershing released for CFS3

Icon22 New US Super Pershing released for CFS3

Super Pershing released now. Frosty helped to make wheels turning.

All weapons are working.

airfighter55
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Pershing.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Wicked. Is this Korean War era, or later?

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti;9[B
    52125]Wicked. Is this Korean War era, or later?

This is WW2 era ![/B]

M26 Pershing and Super Pershing take part from Feb 1945 !

However, the M26, even though it surprassed the Sherman in most characteristics, still did not reach the power of the German tanks. It was needed to create a heavy tank and even in the USA with their vast industrial potential it was not possible to do that quickly. As a compromise, it was decided to upgun the M26 by installing a more powerful 90mm cannon. After the trials at Aberdeen proving grounds, this tank was shipped to Europe and attached to the 3rd Armored Division.
    Belton Cooper’s “Super Pershing”
    In the beginning of 1945, major Harrington, the chief of the tank repair service of the 3rd Armored Division, summoned one of his subordinates – lieutenant Belton Cooper, telling him that he is the only person for such a project and to show him what he can do.
    (SS: there was a direct quote of Belton Cooper from Death Traps, translated into Russian – it would be stupid to translate it back to English and I don’t have the book, so I will transfer the direct speech into indirect by keeping the meaning).
    Harrington definitely did not want to lose the new M26 in first battles. He ordered Lt.Cooper to somehow improve the armor of the tank. The favourite American solution to hang whatever they could get their hands on on the frontal armor and when meeting a Panther and Tiger, to pretend that it’s just a bunch of sandbags didn’t work in this case: the gun was simply too telling. And so Lt. Cooper had to do something else.

Now, the M26 was well protected from the German shells in the frontal arc. It’s true that another problem arose: the mechanism, that was supposed to elevate and depress the gun barrel was not designed to move additional 650 kg of armor. As a result, only a memory remained of the elevation angle after installing this ad hoc spaced armor. The tank could drive and shoot, but only the ground in front of it.
    Belton Cooper remembers how they fixed this issue as well by balancing the gun by cutting a pair of counterweights from the 38mm boiler plate. This was not sufficient, additional counterweight was needed, so they did cut more 30 x 60 cm plates from the boiler steel and kept attaching them to the rear of the counterweight with clamps. By using trial and error method, they thus managed to balance the gun.
    As a result of these “fixes”, the weight of the vehicle was increased by 7 tons and the return wheels sunk 5 centimeters in comparison to the regular vehicle. It was obvious that the new vehicle wouldn’t have good dynamics. But at least the American tankers were happy that they finally recieved a tank with a powerful gun (even though it had a slow two-piece reloading process) and with good frontal protection.
    In the 3rd Armored Division, they called the improved tank the “Super Pershing”. According to Belton Cooper, this tank fought twice. For the first time, it was in the beginning of 1945 in Germany between Weser and Nordheim. The tank destroyed an unidentified armored target with its gun. In the second battle, the Super Pershing allegedly destroyed a King Tiger by hitting its bottom and causing an ammo rack explosion.

I am a nobody with no experience in model building but I have to say that this impressed me greatly. It is an absolutely superb model IMO and the attention to detail is stunning. It is a thrill to drive around and it immediately commands your attention when viewing it from the air. I can't thank you enough for making these recent vehicles. I have not yet installed the Morris, German command cars or trains but I am sure they are going to be just as thrilling.

Do you intend to make more allied armor?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by FOO FIGHTER View Post
    I am a nobody with no experience in model building but I have to say that this impressed me greatly. It is an absolutely superb model IMO and the attention to detail is stunning. It is a thrill to drive around and it immediately commands your attention when viewing it from the air. I can't thank you enough for making these recent vehicles. I have not yet installed the Morris, German command cars or trains but I am sure they are going to be just as thrilling.

Yes !

Bests

Great, thanks for these new stuff! any new vehicle is welcome, diversity brings even more immersion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Members who have read this thread: 0