Horizon VFR Gen X (Map Help)

Thread: Horizon VFR Gen X (Map Help)

Horizon VFR Gen X (Map Help)

Hi,
    Basically as the title says is there a fix in this day and age for the blank map displayed when using Horizon VFR Gen X England/Wales scenery, I know Its quite a few years old but wondered if there was a fix for this? Personally being an avid mach loop / donna nook / Holbeach user its a major problem I'm having. Creating accurate waypoints for low alt flighplans is nigh on impossible, Can anyone Help please?
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Peter,

I don't recall a fix ever being issued by Horizon/Playsims for this problem.

I believe it stems from the fact that the Horizon mesh/data they use is too higher resolution for FSX, and hence the issue with the map view.

(Maybe Dovetail could or are looking into this, and maybe fix it in an update for the Steam edition version).

Cheers

Paul

Blog Entries
    Peter, as far as I'm aware there is no fix, but what you could do is use Plan-G Software: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/ which is a moving map freeware program. It's a lot better than the maps view in FSX anyway because it shows roads and towns world wide. It would be even better if you had a separate monitor to display it on.

Ian

I just use a quarter mil map and look out the window. Don't think have ever used a GPS in real life and definitely haven't on the sim. Once went all the way to Yorkshire from Devon, using a thumb and my eyes.

Martin

Hi Folks

The GPS data is being suppressed due to Horizon's method of creating photo-scenery.
    It is not mesh related.

AIUI -
    Rather than creating 'Hydro Polygons' for coastlines/rivers/lakes/etc.
    Horizon blanket applied a 'terrain-clinging waterpoly' to the entire area,
    then used a blendmask to selectively apply transparency to their photo's water areas.

That 'terrain-clinging waterpoly' suppresses the GPS data.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Thanks guys I'll be sure to try why you have recommended, and thanks for the reasons behind the issue.
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Paul is absolutely right. It is one of the reasons why I completely ditched Horizon VFR GenX in favour of ORBX FTX when it came along. Not only does Horizon VFR suppress the coastlines in the GPS map it also suppresses anything which uses such data.

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

It's horses for courses Andy. I've never used the default GPS map nor indeed the default GPS and while the ORBX coastline is more accurate (though I can't see how).. the rest of it is most certainly not. I bought FTX England when it came out and removed it 3 days later.. never to return!! We all look for different things in a sim and GenX.. for all it's faults.. hits the right buttons for me given what is available as an alternative

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    It's horses for courses Andy.

We all look for different things in a sim
    I couldn't agree more Dave!

In my case I don't use the GPS map either, but I do use other things which use that data, to the point where other scenery suits me better. Others don't use the GPS map or the data that goes into it, in which case it is simply a non-issue. "Each to their own" in the end.

ATB. "Four greens" and happy flying...

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    It's horses for courses Andy. I've never used the default GPS map nor indeed the default GPS and while the ORBX coastline is more accurate (though I can't see how).. the rest of it is most certainly not. I bought FTX England when it came out and removed it 3 days later.. never to return!! We all look for different things in a sim and GenX.. for all it's faults.. hits the right buttons for me given what is available as an alternative

ATB
    DaveB
    I totally agree. Each to their own. It;s either what we are used to or get out of the simulator. I can go for a bimble out of Eggesford or Bodmin in the sim and know the immediate area (and quite a lot of the rest of it) and feel totally at home. I tried the Orbx scenery and like Dave, it wasn't for me. Planned and practised a lot of routes using the GenX scenery and now don't use anything but that. If set the visibility down to UK standards (not more than 20 miles and with haze)...makes for a worthy rendition of the real thing.

Martin

I agree the photo scenery is in my opinion the better one to use having actual landmarks that can be seen and recognised. I'm also not really one for using the GPS map but the problem has arrisen due to me using waypoints in the Razbam Harrier for plotting low altitude flightplans as sometimes the workload is just too much and I need a blue dot on my compass to fly towards without thinking too much about where I am lol.
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

.. yeah and at that kind of speed, you need all the help you can get! If and when I can be bothered or I get lost (the IoM disappeared in front of my eyes this evening and I'd got no navaids set) I open FSCommander but to be honest.. I don't like it much and only really use it as you would the 'Map' function in FSX. I think I know what you mean when you talk about the coastlines going missing and I can see how they'd help with your orientation but on the odd occasion I HAVE used the default 'Map'.. I tend to know where I am (if vis is bad) by seeing what airfields and VOR's are visible. Flying low in a Harrier doesn't give you much room to manoeuvre though. I tend to poodle along in something a LOT slower!! FSC is payware btw.. I think the Plan-G software is free and it comes highly regarded

ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 0