HMS Bounty for FSX Released
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty for FSX Released

HMS Bounty for FSX Released

HMS Bounty for FSX - VERSION 1.0
    Built Specifically for FSX - (separate package required for FS9)

by Milton Shupe, Nigel Richards, Rob Barendregt, Sasha Rieger, and Rob Ibey. Helmsman by Craig "Full" Richardson

HMS Bounty 18th Century Tall Ship square rigger completely wind driven, individually animated and controlled sails, animated flags with direction and wind speeds, animated helm, and Sail Management Window to control all ship fuctions. Ship responds to wind speeds and direction with yaw, keeling, and pitch depending on sails deployed and yard arm positions. Ambient sounds, variable wind and gale storm sounds, ship's bell, "Salute", anchor weigh/drop all add to immersion.

WILL NOT WORK IN FS9 as it contains FSX native texture formatting and FSX specific sim interfaces. (Separate FS9 package available.)

BIG NOTE: The latest version of FSUIPC is Required for the HMS Bounty to work.

Note: Realism settings should be set to "Hard" for best Wind Effects (Will not work on "Easy" realism in FSX.)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks Milton and team. This puts a whole new meaning to low-n-slow.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

LOL You bet; and its relaxing, interesting, and immersive, some say addictive. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton and the Team!!!! Works great. In case anyone wants them I made a port and starboard camera definition for myself. Just add them after the existing camera definitions:

[CameraDefinition.5]
    Title = "Starboard"
    Guid = {75BF24D1-664F-464A-1578-278377EED2F4}
    Description = Looking at Starboard Side
    Origin = Center
    SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
    SnapPbhReturn = FALSE
    PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
    PanPbhReturn = FALSE
    Track = None
    ShowAxis = FALSE
    AllowZoom = TRUE
    InitialZoom = .65
    ShowWeather = Yes
    InitialXyz = 70, 4.5, -10.0
    InitialPbh = 0, 0, 270
    XyzAdjust = TRUE
    Category=Aircraft
    MomentumEffect=TRUE
    ClipMode=Minimum

[CameraDefinition.6]
    Title = "Port"
    Guid = {38BF48D1-339F-464A-4987-224877EED2F4}
    Description = Looking at Port Side
    Origin = Center
    SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
    SnapPbhReturn = FALSE
    PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
    PanPbhReturn = FALSE
    Track = None
    ShowAxis = FALSE
    AllowZoom = TRUE
    InitialZoom = .65
    ShowWeather = Yes
    InitialXyz = -70, 4.5, -10.0
    InitialPbh = 0, 0, 90
    XyzAdjust = TRUE
    Category=Aircraft
    MomentumEffect=TRUE
    ClipMode=Minimum

Bob.

Just went from Botany to Sydny on real weather 14kts wind blowing to due North, now to figure out how to tac, thats not easy, Sydney harbour isnt that wide.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Hint: all hands ready to wear ship (gybe)! Splice the mainbrace you scurvy seadogs, well done that team!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Well shiver me timbers! Will this work in P3D?

Johan

I love this and have been keeping a weather eye on it's development. The attention to detail is breath-taking What's more.. I managed to get up and running and heading SW toward the Scilly Isles with the minimum of fuss (auto sails)

One observation I've made regards the wake. I'd been watching the ship viewed from the stern.. admiring the craftsmanship.. and noticed an intermittent shadow down the sides. A pan round shows it to be the wake which is lapping some feet above sea level. Hope this shot shows what I mean..

I'm pretty sure the wake looked fine at the stern so this might be an FSX 'thing'. I've seen rotor spray over the flightdeck of frigates before which certainly shouldn't be there!!
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Well shiver me timbers! Will this work in P3D?

Johan
    In beta testing it worked fine in P3D, with two known limitations - if you use TacPack, you will need to disable it while sailing, and FSTramp has been observed to cause the ship to not move.

- JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Could we have a VF-84 flag on it?

Dave

Milton..

I think the wake issue I reported above is definitely an FSXism.. not anything directly related to the model. I've loaded it up again and have seen the wake rise and fall over a period of time so I guess it's the rubbish FSX water

A couple of other things..
    The detail on the Sail Config page was overwriting.. eg, on the Heading-Wind detail.. the B of Broad Reach was under/on top of the d of Wind. Undocking the page and stretching it slightly cured this.

For my second run.. I loaded up ASN SP2 and found I couldn't get Auto Skipper to engage. I'm glad really becasue vis was so poor.. you could barely see past the bow-sprit!! I shut ASN down and Auto Skipper came back

I think Bounty must be stretching the SoH server as I've not been able to get in for ages!
    ATB
    DaveB.. currently heading 251 at 14kts toward the Sillies!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I think Bounty must be stretching the SoH server as I've not been able to get in for ages!
    I made a post about the release on AVSIM, hope it isn't my fault!
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

The detail on the Sail Config page was overwriting.. eg, on the Heading-Wind detail.. the B of Broad Reach was under/on top of the d of Wind. Undocking the page and stretching it slightly cured this.
    Dave,
    Are you using a widescreen monitor or 4/3 monitor ? And what resolution ?
    (the SM window is optimised for widescreen)

Rob

Hi Rob

Widescreen.. res is 1440x900 native for this monitor.

I noticed a couple of FSX vagaries with the wind when I got close to St Helens (IoS). Despite having 30tks dialled in.. it suddenly went to zero and I stopped.. DIW. No way this should have happened with the wind direction.. I wasn't in the lea of the land at all. I tried slewing and eventually.. the wind returned then went again. Disappointing as I was within about 15mins of where I wanted to be but there you go. I'm presuming this is FSX playing up though I noted auto-skipper had turned off too.. perhaps due to the lack of wind.

I tired one of the default wind settings (35kts) and auto-skipper did well in furling the topsails to compensate. However.. the main-top kept appearing and disappearing accompanied with a red light flashing on the Sail Config window.. my presumption being that the windspeed was marginal for the main top. I tweaked it a little further down to 30kts and auto-skipper put me under full sail again. It's all very clever stuff

My moving wake disappeared long before reaching the Scillies btw. Not unexpected really as boat/ship effects tend to do this anyway.. smoke being a good example.

All in all.. a smashing first long-ish distance run. Never have I been so glad to see landfall!! Disappointed not to be able to take it to exactly where I wanted to go.. I was hoping to turn auto-skipper off and set the sails myself for the last part.. but.. this is a flight simulator after all so one must expect certain sea-based things not to work exactly as expected.

ATB
    DaveB

I loaded up ASN SP2 and found I couldn't get Auto Skipper to engage. I'm glad really becasue vis was so poor.. you could barely see past the bow-sprit!! I shut ASN down and Auto Skipper came back
    There are only two possible reasons why the AutoSkipper won't engage:

1. The anchor isn't raised yet.
    So: sure you anchor was raised ??

2. The wind is in the deadzone (coming from between -50 and + 50 degrees of ships heading).
    Please check (with ASN active) the compass rose and wind needle; also, Wind-Head displays "In Irons" now ..

Rob

Cheers Rob..

The anchor was raised.. I'd been sailing for over 2hrs. I didn't notice if Wind Heading said I was 'In Irons' or not. Note I'd been sailing on this particular course for some time. I made a slight adjustment to give me ample clearance between St Mary's and St Agnes (didn't want to run aground but there's never a guarantee that won't happen in FSX) and a while later.. the wind read zero. (it was coming from approx. 80deg and I was heading 250 maybe)

I'll go back and see if it's an anomaly with that area

ATB
    DaveB

Hi Rob

I noticed a couple of FSX vagaries with the wind when I got close to St Helens (IoS). Despite having 30tks dialled in.. it suddenly went to zero and I stopped.. DIW. No way this should have happened with the wind direction.. I wasn't in the lea of the land at all. I tried slewing and eventually.. the wind returned then went again. Disappointing as I was within about 15mins of where I wanted to be but there you go. I'm presuming this is FSX playing up though I noted auto-skipper had turned off too.. perhaps due to the lack of wind.

I tired one of the default wind settings (35kts) and auto-skipper did well in furling the topsails to compensate. However.. the main-top kept appearing and disappearing accompanied with a red light flashing on the Sail Config window.. my presumption being that the windspeed was marginal for the main top. I tweaked it a little further down to 30kts and auto-skipper put me under full sail again. It's all very clever stuff

My moving wake disappeared long before reaching the Scillies btw. Not unexpected really as boat/ship effects tend to do this anyway.. smoke being a good example.

All in all.. a smashing first long-ish distance run. Never have I been so glad to see landfall!! Disappointed not to be able to take it to exactly where I wanted to go.. I was hoping to turn auto-skipper off and set the sails myself for the last part.. but.. this is a flight simulator after all so one must expect certain sea-based things not to work exactly as expected.

ATB
    DaveB
    According to the manual :-) and programming, the Auto Shipper will deactivate when conditions are not met: 1) wind is coming from the bow end and no forward speed is possible (Dead zone, or No-Go zone), and,or 2) the parking brake is set. It will stay active if wind is zero unless it detects a minor wind direction change even at zero speed from the Dead zone.

Wakes will only activate after a certain speed is achieved of course so if your speed declined, that may have triggered it. It will also come and go as the "terrain" changes (i.e. as the water level declines with terrain. The rising wake I have seen when sailing the Amazon as the water level varies over the miles; there are obvious ups and downs in the river and the wake will rise well above the water level, maybe 2-3 feet.

If you are manually setting weather, winds and gusts, and running auto skipper, if you keep gusts in the wind ranges as specified in the manual, you will not have the sails coming and going like that. The other option is to manually control sails but watch for the red flashing light meaning too many sails for the wind speed. If that happens, simply stow another sail. You have 30 seconds on the red light before a need to reset the sails with the auto-skipper switch.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Rob
    That explains the overlap then... (character size increase at lower resolution; most modern WS monitors have a 1920*1080, or better, native resolution)
    Shouldn't overlap though; the string Wind-Heading should be truncated then. (little bug in my code, sorry. Will be corrected in a new release, if any).

No idea what happens here; but the only way I can investigate is if you post a screenshot in that situation, with (in one picture !):
    - The Bounty in spotplane view (so I can see the sails)
    - The SM window opened
    - The Test window (Shift-3) opened
    But see also my reply for reasons when the AS is turned off.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    That explains the overlap then... (character size increase at lower resolution; most modern WS monitors have a 1920*1080, or better, native resolution)
    Shouldn't overlap though; the string Wind-Heading should be truncated then. (little bug in my code, sorry. Will be corrected in a new release, if any).

No idea what happens here; but the only way I can investigate is if you post a screenshot in that situation, with (in one picture !):
    - The Bounty in spotplane view (so I can see the sails)
    - The SM window opened
    - The Test window (Shift-3) opened
    But see also my reply for reasons when the AS is turned off.

Rob
    Thanks Rob (and Milton for the answer above) I'll be sure to buy a better monitor when this one breaks!! Don't worry about the text.. it's no problem.

I just ran my approach to St Mary's again (as close as possible) and the wind I'd set remained. It indicated Broad reach until I turned when it went to Close Reach as expected. When I got to where I wanted to be.. I purposely turned it out of config so that In Irons appeared.. stowed the sails and dropped the anchor. Why the wind suddenly dropped before is anyones guess. It's likely that FSX had had enough.. extended flights (eg, over 2hrs) can bring unpredictable results

ATB
    DaveB

Hard to imagine a ship becoming a favorite in a flight simulation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails balls pyarmid 2.jpg  

Did the helmsman ever become a part of the views in the final release? (FSX version)

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Did the helmsman ever become a part of the views in the final release? (FSX version)
    The helmsman has always been viewable in the outside and spot views, of course not in the VC views.

EDIT: But only when the anchor has been weighed :-) Otherwise he is below deck partaking of his favorite beverage.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

For those who just can't bring themselves to read the manual or open the Docs folder, there is a list of water ports from which to launch that provides for some great sailing interest.

These are they:

Here are some nice Water Ports to Launch From:

W33 Friday Harbor WA
    W39 Roche Harbor WA
    W49 Rosario WA
    WA81 Fishermans Bay / Lps WA
    WA83 Westsound/Wsx WA
    WN19 Gig Harbor WA
    16K Port Alice AK
    19P Port Protection AK
    2Y3 Yakutat AK (Beautiful mountain range)
    2Z1 Entrance Island AK (SE of Juneau - good sailing scenery)
    2Z6 False Island AK (Sounth of Sister's Island and Juneau)
    3Z9 Haines AK (Nice to sail to Skagway or Juneau from here)
    5Z1 Juneau Harbor AK
    7K2 Skagway AK
    5KE Ketchikan Harbor AK
    6MA9 Cuttyhunk Harbor MA
    M06 Havre De Grace MD (upper Chesapeake Bay-to Baltimore Harbor or Norfolk)
    61FD Chalk's Key West FL (Good launch for the keys or Caribbean)
    FL26 Kitching Cove FL
    X44 Miami FL
    L11 Pebbly Beach CA (Catalina Island)
    Q87 Lost Isle CA (Navigate this river to SanFran Bay)

If you know of other great water ports outside the USA especially, please add to this list. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Cheers Milton

I've flown around many of those places in FS9 though not sadly in FSX where I tend to stay pretty much around the UK to take advantage of GenX, Treescapes and a number of EarthSims sceneries.
    I've found a limitation of where I can go around the UK coast today on a relatively short hop from Penzance to Falmouth. I was a fair distance off the coast but with land in sight when I popped to the kitchen to check on my dinner (as you do). When I got back.. the sails were flashing on and off and I'd run aground on a piece of ground that had popped up from nowhere! Yeah.. OK.. I hear you all say but I'm sure GenX users will know what I'm talking about.. especially those who spend a lot of time by the sea with AI ships. Exactly how far away from the coast you have to be to avoid these landfalls that appear and disappear I've no idea but it kinda takes the fun out of it.

The model and how it works is great.. I love it to bits. It may sound like sacrilege but I'd love an AI version too. Wherever I go.. it'd be great to see Bounty or one of her offsprings either on a proper ship track or via AICarriers

ATB
    DaveB

Here are shots of life on the Amazon, getting ready to sail out of Stewart, AK, and on a fjord in Norway (I have not found a water port in Norway or the Amazon yet).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 2