HMS Bounty for FSX Released - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty for FSX Released

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Cheers Milton

I've flown around many of those places in FS9 though not sadly in FSX where I tend to stay pretty much around the UK to take advantage of GenX, Treescapes and a number of EarthSims sceneries.
    I've found a limitation of where I can go around the UK coast today on a relatively short hop from Penzance to Falmouth. I was a fair distance off the coast but with land in sight when I popped to the kitchen to check on my dinner (as you do). When I got back.. the sails were flashing on and off and I'd run aground on a piece of ground that had popped up from nowhere! Yeah.. OK.. I hear you all say but I'm sure GenX users will know what I'm talking about.. especially those who spend a lot of time by the sea with AI ships. Exactly how far away from the coast you have to be to avoid these landfalls that appear and disappear I've no idea but it kinda takes the fun out of it.

The model and how it works is great.. I love it to bits. It may sound like sacrilege but I'd love an AI version too. Wherever I go.. it'd be great to see Bounty or one of her offsprings either on a proper ship track or via AICarriers

ATB
    DaveB
    Interesting; in my two years of sailing and testing in FS9 and FSX, I have never experienced running aground in the sea but then I have default scenery.

Actually there is an AI model setup and being tested. Just trying to sort out a few things as I am unfamiliar with how to handle ships in AI.

The Bounty Launch is also in progress to be released once textures are done.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Nice to see happy sailing people!

If, like me, you find the stock cabin lights in the FSX/P3D version a bit too dim, try this lights configuration instead:

Code:
    [LIGHTS]
    // types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    //        6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin
    light.0 = 3,   -99.412,  6.496,   14.898, fx_navwhivc,
    light.1 = 3,   -99.412, -6.496,   14.898, fx_navwhivc,
    light.2 = 3,   -87.992,  0.000,    6.939, fx_navwhivc ,
    light.3 = 3,   -77.414, -8.461,    3.454, fx_navwhivc ,
    light.4 = 3,   -77.414,  8.461,    3.454, fx_navwhivc ,
    light.5 = 3,   -58.759,   0.00,    4.052, fx_vclighth ,
    light.6 = 3,   -23.431, 10.679,    2.224, fx_vclighth ,
    light.7 = 3,    -4.169,   0.00,    3.175, fx_vclighth ,
    light.8 = 3, -77.414, -7.181, 3.394, fx_vclighth ,
    light.9 = 3, -77.414, 8.181, 3.394, fx_vclighth ,
    light.10= 10, -80.5, 28.3, 13.9, BountyCannon ,
    light.11 = 3, -87.712, 0.000, 6.879, fx_vclighth
    It uses a brighter VC light, and adds VC lights for the lanterns in the captain's quarters as well. Don't ask me how I came up with the coordinates, I have tried placing the light at a nice spot inside the lantern where it illuminates the candle as seen from the eyepoint.

(On my way to Jamaica ...).

- JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Just FYI, lights 0 and 1 are the exterior lanterns at the stern; lights 2,3 and 4 are the Capt's Quarters lanterns, 5 is the hallway just forward of the Capt's Quarters, 6 and 7 are lanterns in the great room midship.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Aye, I have not changed the stock light placements, only the VC light effect used (for more brightness).
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

And for those who want to get the most out of the sounds, ensure your Sound Setting sliders are full right for Environment and Cockpit.

The wind sounds pick up with speeds and are very noticeable after 26 knots. As you approach gale force winds, things get really rough and loud. So don't be afraid to crank the winds up, throw in some stormy wx and rain, crank up the speakers and experience the excitement. You can thank Nigel and Rob for managing all the sounds through innovative programming and sound.cfg manipulation.

EDIT: Also remember that the Sea Birds and Ship's Bell sounds have volume controls on the switches with a right click adjustment, and may be set on/off as you wish.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    Aye, I have not changed the stock light placements, only the VC light effect used (for more brightness).
    Yes, I understood that; I was just trying to take some guess work out of the lights for anyone who wishes to experiment. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Interesting; in my two years of sailing and testing in FS9 and FSX, I have never experienced running aground in the sea but then I have default scenery.

Actually there is an AI model setup and being tested. Just trying to sort out a few things as I am unfamiliar with how to handle ships in AI.

The Bounty Launch is also in progress to be released once textures are done.
    Hi Milton

I don't want to labour the point but this is what happens. I don't know if these lines are always there because you don't actually see them until you're close.. they seem to appear from nowhere..

I changed to a DH Beaver after that and flew off looking back. The lines disappeared!! AI ships will sometimes leap in the air for no apparent reason though I'm sure it's because they've hit one of these landfalls. If anyone out there knows a fix for this.. I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Rgr on the AI version and Bounty Launch.
    ATB
    DaveB

Ah yes, I have seen two of those land strips in FSX and just sailed around them. You will also find that rivers and large bodies of water do change in height at certain points I suppose to conform to the curvature of the earth over some miles, or just to conform to scenery changes and elevation changes. I have sailed up (literally) and down rivers like this ... like rapids in Norway heading toward a fjord.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Rgr that

Any plans to do a lookout on the foc'sle

When I hit the last one.. I was only making 9kts and caught it much at the same angle you see in the second shot. That'll teach me to check on my dinner!! I need a steward too!!

ATB
    DaveB

LOL The best I can do, I did. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Something old and something new

Make sail voices

Just curious, who is doing the voices for the make sail and other commands? Does that come from a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Just curious, who is doing the voices for the make sail and other commands? Does that come from a movie?
    Yes it does. Have you not watched the Bounty movies? Great stuff.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yes it does. Have you not watched the Bounty movies? Great stuff.
    I missed it. Was it the 1935 version with Clark Gable?

I missed it. Was it the 1935 version with Clark Gable?
    Yes, there is; interesting history on that movie. I posted a link to that history on the last page of the Bounty Manual. :-)

Folks, please read the manual. :-)

EDIT: There were actually five movies:

Films
    The Mutiny of the Bounty (1916 silent) In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) The Bounty (1984)

See other links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Icon26 ODG WSL Project - Water Start Locations

Hi Folks

If you know of other great water ports outside the USA especially, please add to this list.
    Milton -
    If interested -
    Now might be a good time to resurrect a 'community project' I'd previously been working on.

Out of the box,
    FS9/X/P3D provides 574 water airports globally,
    with -
    - 568 in the USA.
    - 5 in the Caribbean.
    - 1 in Germany.

That's it !

Very few of which are suitable
    as 'Water Start Locations' for pilotable ships/vessels.

I'm looking for assistance with an ODG spin-off project -
    Creating 'Water Start Locations' for pilotable ships/vessels, (or amphibious aircraft).

I'll supply a single Google Earth KML file,
    containing a set of sub-folders.

There's one sub-folder per Port/Harbour,
    with each sub-folder containing a pair of associated placemarks.

At this stage,
    all I'm asking is that you .....
    relocate pairs of placemarks to suitable IRL locations,
    take and record 4 measurements,
    then save and return their sub-folder to me.

I'd then import your returned data,
    and generate their AFD BGLs.

The catch is.....
    for phase 1, ODG WSL - 'World Ports Index' Series,
    there's 4,041 pairs of placemarks worldwide.

Hence my request for assistance. ;-)

If we ever complete that,
    and can drum up sufficient interest......

There's potentially a further 14,000
    covering the outstanding sea, river, & inland water ports.
    Those'd be spread across multiple 'phased releases'.

All 18,000 have already been assigned unique 'Airport Identifiers'.
    ? Anyone ?

I don't know if these lines are always there because you don't actually see them until you're close.. they seem to appear from nowhere.
    As you've discovered -
    FSX default mesh is dirty,
    containing a large number of elevation anomalies,
    particularly that in the SP2 release
    which no longer flattens the relevant offshore areas.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSX_Terrain_Incorrect_Elevations.jpg  

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Hi Milton

I don't want to labour the point but this is what happens. I don't know if these lines are always there because you don't actually see them until you're close.. they seem to appear from nowhere..
    I believe... this is a default quirk of FSX from the very first release. Any time there is an elevation change in water and if it reaches a certain angle, then FSX applies a slope texture to the area. After FSX's release there was a revised Terrain.cfg file made up by a couple of smart people that fixes this issue and some other "quirks".

Highly recommended to get the update/revised file by Luis Feliz-Tirado and Dick Ludowise, but if there have been changes to your existing Terrain.cfg file there will need to be some cutting and pasting done to keep things in line.

If anyone wants to go down that path, start a new thread so as to not distract from Milton's and crew release and I'll try to explain the process.

Ahh.. thanks for that Paul. I was always under the impression it was a GenX 'thing'. Quite disappointed to find it's 'built in'

EDIT: RGr that Meshman. I may have tried these in a previous FSX install and while some aspects of it worked ok.. there was a trade off.. isn't there always. Must look at that again

ATB
    DaveB

Hi Folks

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    I believe... this is a default quirk of FSX from the very first release. Any time there is an elevation change in water and if it reaches a certain angle, then FSX applies a slope texture to the area. After FSX's release there was a revised Terrain.cfg file made up by a couple of smart people that fixes this issue and some other "quirks".

Highly recommended to get the update/revised file by Luis Feliz-Tirado and Dick Ludowise, but if there have been changes to your existing Terrain.cfg file there will need to be some cutting and pasting done to keep things in line.

If anyone wants to go down that path, start a new thread so as to not distract from Milton's and crew release and I'll try to explain the process.
    Lance -
    Luis & Dick's modified Terrain.cfg only fixes the visual aspect,
    by inhibiting the slope-related texture call.

Applying their modified Terrain.cfg only hides the visuals
    and does not address the literally underlying issue
    of flattening these mesh discrepancies.

Just to clarify -
    The waterslope issue was present in FSX RTM,
    though not as extensively as previous SP2 screenie shows.

In SP2 the waterpolys in 'Irish Sea' and 'Southern North Sea'
    no longer flattened these mesh anomalies, as they'd previously done in RTM & SP1.
    Bugged in SP2 beta.

Above had a major impact on converting our ODG sceneries to FSX compatibility,
    as platform models had all been compiled as AGL,
    resulting in mismatching pad-harden elevations.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

Paul,

That sounds like a rather ambitious, yet rewarding project. Yes, please point us to another thread where folks can sign up to help out.

Thanks for the explanations; very helpful.

Regards
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Yes, there is; interesting history on that movie. I posted a link to that history on the last page of the Bounty Manual. :-)

Folks, please read the manual. :-)

EDIT: There were actually five movies:

Films
    The Mutiny of the Bounty (1916 silent) In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) The Bounty (1984)

See other links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty
    I read the info on the last page of your manual - and all the other 17 pages.
    I didn't realize there were 5 movies made of the Bounty. I didn't see anything about what version the sound bytes came from other then an interesting overview mentioned in the PDF so, I assumed
    that they must of came from the 1935 version (I didn't see it or for that matter any version) - so that is why I asked.
    I wanted to see the movie from where the sound bytes used came from - thanks

ODG WSL Project - Water Start Locations

Hi Folks

That sounds like a rather ambitious, yet rewarding project.

Yes,
    please point us to another thread where folks can sign up to help out.
    Milton -
    RFA is at ODG - WSL Project - WPI Series - Request for assistance

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I read the info on the last page of your manual - and all the other 17 pages.
    I didn't realize there were 5 movies made of the Bounty. I didn't see anything about what version the sound bytes came from other then an interesting overview mentioned in the PDF so, I assumed
    that they must of came from the 1935 version (I didn't see it or for that matter any version) - so that is why I asked.
    I wanted to see the movie from where the sound bytes used came from - thanks
    Those sounds came from the 1984 movie, "The Bounty" starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson. It's a great movie.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

interesting model. is celestial navigation using a virtual sextant possible in fsx?

Those sounds came from the 1984 movie, "The Bounty" starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson. It's a great movie.
    I have a Netflix account and that movie is listed so I will watch it. Thanks Milton for pointing me to that movie.

Members who have read this thread: 2