TIT

Thread: TIT

TIT

What is the dangers of flying lean of Peak TIT on turbocharged aircraft? The Saratoga II TC Piper Seneca V and Malibu Mirage are all turbo aircraft

TIT= Turbine Inlet Temperature
    Last edited by awash2002; April 30th, 2015 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by awash2002 View Post
    What is the dangers of flying lean of Peak TIT on turbocharged aircraft? The Saratoga II TC Piper Seneca V and Malibu Mirage are all turbo aircraft
    Transient heat spikes enroute to "lean of peak" and less power at high power settings (and some issues when at lower power settings to a lesser degree). Operation at "lean of peak" may also affect the aircraft pressurization system. There may be an impact over time to the turbine blades, but that may be more a result of heat spikes than operation at "lean of peak" within acceptable temperature ranges. Reading an article in Flying magazine suggests that "lean of peak" operations are authorized in a Piper Malibu, but the author's experience varied within the aircraft type and in other turbine type aircraft.

In reality, if not authorized by the aircraft type pilot operating manual, the risk / reward is not worth the risk without first having successful operation by many, many other operators.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

If nothing else, I'm sure Awash's post here will get a record number of views, due to the Title....

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    If nothing else, I'm sure Awash's post here will get a record number of views, due to the Title....

LOL I'm still laughing at your comment ColoKent . It sure got my attention .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Heh heh...glad I'm not the ONLY one who thinks like that!

thats what got me here...................

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    thats what got me here...................
    Our little "club" is growing!!!!!

Kent

I knew what this was about all along. I'm smart. (I think.)

I had a feeling about what the topic was, but the word itself engenders thoughts of... oh well.

Thanks for the answer there

Am I in the right place ??
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Some of Carenado aircraft is Turbocharged and you lean them by TIT Turbine Inlet Temperature instead of a EGT gauge now my T210 only has a EGT gauge and I can't figure out what is best power even when I lean by the TIT gauge

Also I will never ever post in the forums again I guess some places I don't belong in

Also I will never ever post in the forums again I guess some places I don't belong in
    I sincerely hope you're joking about not posting again, Awash...I absolutely wasn't trying to single you out....your post was completely in line...you were asking a serious question. I, on the other hand was poking fun at myself for apparently only having a one-track mind...

Regards,

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Transient heat spikes enroute to "lean of peak" and less power at high power settings (and some issues when at lower power settings to a lesser degree). Operation at "lean of peak" may also affect the aircraft pressurization system. There may be an impact over time to the turbine blades, but that may be more a result of heat spikes than operation at "lean of peak" within acceptable temperature ranges. Reading an article in Flying magazine suggests that "lean of peak" operations are authorized in a Piper Malibu, but the author's experience varied within the aircraft type and in other turbine type aircraft.

In reality, if not authorized by the aircraft type pilot operating manual, the risk / reward is not worth the risk without first having successful operation by many, many other operators.
    Is that why Dukes are pigs and cannot run lean of peak?
    -JB

You know what's sad? I read the thread title and immediately thought "Turbine Inlet Temperature." The other thing didn't occur to me 'til sometime later.

I really, really need to get outdoors more...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I'll still post here But what about non turbo'd aircraft like the Baron 58 and A36 Bonanza would it be wise to run them LOP or ROP?

From what I can gather - with the big caveat that I'm speaking as a nonpilot - rich of peak vs. lean of peak is sort of a religious debate, with the faithful having staked out positions on both sides.

There have been many discussions about ROP vs. LOP over on the A2A forums. I just did a quick search and haven't dug through nearly all of them, but it's worth a look there. Here's one thread. There are others.

I'm sure you'll find similar discussions on owners' group forums, including for the types you're interested it.

I'm sure RW pilots will chime in here as well.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I typically lean a turbo engine aircraft to the specific fuel flow shown on the performance charts for example I'll be cruising the Alabeo Saratoga II TC at 27/23 12.5gph and at 8000 I should see 152ktas true

I typically lean a turbo engine aircraft to the specific fuel flow shown on the performance charts for example I'll be cruising the Alabeo Saratoga II TC at 27/23 12.5gph and at 8000 I should see 152ktas true
    Remember that there is not an exact correlation between the real world and FS so, as the brochures often say: "your results may vary". Even in the real world minute differences in the airframe, rigging, props, dirt, etc. can make a difference that may add up to a couple of knots. If you're using FS as a learning tool, bear in mind that you won't get absolute precision from a $40 simulation, but it can be 'pretty close'.

Leaning theories abound, but here's an article from AvWeb that discusses some of the considerations at length (pack a lunch and some migraine medicine):
    http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviat...-198162-1.html

Bear in mind that the mixture issue not only may affect performance but longevity and cost (which is not normally a factor in FS).

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thanks for the link

Members who have read this thread: 0