Video of wheels up landing, then takeoff!

Thread: Video of wheels up landing, then takeoff!

Video of wheels up landing, then takeoff!

Yikes!

That fool endangered himself, his passengers (if any), and innocent people on the ground. I'm surprised he could maneuver the plane back to a safe landing and not stall out in the process.

Hmm... I remain only 50% convinced this wasn't an RC plane. If the props struck the ground, the engines would have been wasted. The Aerostar is a mid-wing plane though... Did this accident get reported anywhere else besides this guy's video?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I should've added the paragraph from Facebook about it. Apparently it really happened. There was a link to the site where the aircraft is or was for sale. Description included "needs new props!"

More information:

http://www.asias.faa.gov/pls/apex/f?...0PIERCE,N7502S

and:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    If the props struck the ground, the engines would have been wasted.
    Not always true.

My brother-in-law tried to land a C310 at Dillingham with the wheels up.

When the props hit the ground he pulled up and got the plane back in the air.

Then flew back to PHNL and landed safely.

The props had to be replaced, the engines were OK.

cheers,
    Lane

Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Sometimes bad things happen, sometimes pilots forget procedures. Fortunately, in this case, no one was injured or killed and the aircraft can be returned to airworthy condition... by its next owner.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Looked like he was coming in a wee bit fast too. Good thing, as it turned out...
    HP Reverb G2

As an "incident" we likely won't see a comprehensive investigation report.

IIRC the Aerostar had a warning system similar to the default FS one - power reduced below a threshold, below a set altitude without gear lowered will trigger a warning voice/horn.

There are reasons to have, and follow a printed checklist; to visually confirm certain required actions; to fly an approach in a way to allow required actions to be completed; and to double-check on final with the old mnemonic - GUMP (Gear Undercarriage, Mixture, Props). Since gear systems won't show gear down when up (but might show the reverse) it would hint at sloppiness, being in a rush or overconfidence. I'd wonder what his work habits are like if this was 'recreation'.

The AIN report isn't clear what airport was the point of occurrence but if it was in the Ft. Pierce (Port St. Lucie) area -- it looks like Aero Acres (FD88) -- and he then flew back to KFLL that's ~70nm in a damaged aircraft (and over a populated area on approach). Prudence might indicate a landing at a nearby field to inspect the damage, but of course then it wouldn't be near a repair shop or his own hangar.

From the video it looks like it was at a fly-in, obviously with an audience
    Thank goodness he's selling.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

One of our pilots when I was in VA-94 forgot to put the wheels down when landing his A-7 at NAS Fallon, NV. At the time he was the operations officer and a LCDR with many hours in the jet and one of the best pilots in the squadron. He later commanded the same squadron a few years later. The A-7 has a giant red light next to the HUD, meaning right I the pilot's face, that warns when the gear is not down in otherwise "landing configuration". The point being, I guess, that "it can happen to the best of us". Of course, our A-7 pilot did not attempt to take the ship back into the air, which would have been physically impossible anyway... As for our intrepid Aerostar pilot landing at 250 knots, well, that's another matter. Maybe that's why the "gear not down" warning didn't go off...

This Tom Petty song fits:

"I'm learning to fly! (learning to fly...)
    ...but I ain't got wheels..."

HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0