Irony is... (Computer Issues)

Thread: Irony is... (Computer Issues)

Irony is... (Computer Issues)

So I picked up a new monitor today. I'd been studying it for awhile and finally decided to pull the trigger. BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440. How is it, you might ask? Very good question!! Sadly, I wish I could answer it..

I cam home, all excited to unbox my new monitor, and my pc was sitting at some sort of a 'boot media not recognized screen'. Hadn't seen it do that before. Rebooted, and all was fine, for about 2 minutes, when it locked up. Unfortunately, it now seems that I get about two - three minutes of use after a reboot, and it freezes up. Sort of - I can still move the mouse, but I can't click on anything at all. After a little while of that, I'll get a blue screen of death that says that an important thread has unexpectedly terminated and the system has shut down.

Frustrating. I was so excited to boot up FSX with the new monitor, and now I'm trying to diagnose pc issues.

I've tried clean booting, checking for driver issues, running System File Checker... no issues that I can find. I have yet to try testing memory, but this seems like a different issue.

I'm almost confident that it's my SSD that I use for the C: drive failing somehow, or failed to a point where something within windows has gotten corrupted. I'd try a re-installation, but I have so much stuff (it's been 4 or 5 years since a full reinstall, running Win 7 x64) that I still want to try and pull off of here first. Sheesh.

Any ideas are appreciated!!!!
    Jim Stewart

Try updating the firmware of the SSD. I had a similar problem once and fixed it that way.

But have you checked in the eventviewer?

Johan

SOH-CM-2023
    Unfortunately it sounds as if the SSD has become life expired due to too many rewrites. When my old SSD played up I bought a Samsung that came complete with transfer software & it transferred OK onto the new one as well as modifying the BIOS to suit. I now only use the 'C' drive with that SSD for the operating system & use a HDD for all other programmes as this reduces the amount of rewriting to the SSD. The old SSD is now used as a back-up storage.
    HTH
    Keith

It has being an issue with SSd's since day 1, it also appolies to thumbnail drives. They simply dont like being written to, too often. The later versions are better, but they also apply some tricks to disrtibute the writes so its not always teh same point being wriiten to so extending life, Usually you can read from them its just the writes that fail
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Well, perhaps it might be jumping the gun a little bit, but I've went with the assumption that I've hit a limit on the SSD. I'm currently running an install on a SanDisk ExtremePro 240GB.

I thought about copying my old installation over, but decided on a fresh start, since I've been maintaining this one for so long!
    Jim Stewart

Members who have read this thread: 1