HMS Bounty for FSX/P3D Going Beta Today - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty for FSX/P3D Going Beta Today

Ok, success (I think). After discussing things that also load with the Sim I started thinking what really does load? This morning I checked both the exe.xml file and the dll.xml files. The exe file only held two programs. . .an old version of REX that isn't installed any more and this (as_btstrp_config_manager). . .never heard of it so both of those were removed leaving nothing remaining for the exe file. Next I looked at the dll file and it loaded quite a bit. A few programs were not even installed anymore (Accu-feel and Abacus PremierCollection). . .deleted those but that made no difference to the Bounty. . . .moved about half a mile and quit.

Next I removed the People_Flow module from Orbx. . .No change
    Next I removed Instant Scenery 3. . .No change
    Next I removed FSTramp. . . .Success!!

Currently I have sailed out from Pensacola to Bills Carriers (about 10nm), rounded the Carrier, changed wind directions and am currently headed back to Pensacola. . .maintaining a steady 15kts.
    What I don't yet know for sure is this:
    Was FSTramp the culprit or was it a combination of FSTramp and one of the other three I removed? For now I'd have to say I'm disappointed that it turned out to be FSTramp. I use it on a daily basis when I'm flying. I don't know if there's a way to load P3DV2.5+ using multiple setups or not. . .something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ok, success (I think). After discussing things that also load with the Sim I started thinking what really does load? This morning I checked both the exe.xml file and the dll.xml files. The exe file only held two programs. . .an old version of REX that isn't installed any more and this (as_btstrp_config_manager). . .never heard of it so both of those were removed leaving nothing remaining for the exe file. Next I looked at the dll file and it loaded quite a bit. A few programs were not even installed anymore (Accu-feel and Abacus PremierCollection). . .deleted those but that made no difference to the Bounty. . . .moved about half a mile and quit.

Currently I have sailed out from Pensacola to Bills Carriers (about 10nm), rounded the Carrier, changed wind directions and am currently headed back to Pensacola. . .maintaining a steady 15kts.
    Was FSTramp the culprit or was it a combination of FSTramp and one of the other three I removed? For now I'd have to say I'm disappointed that it turned out to be FSTramp. I use it on a daily basis when I'm flying. I don't know if there's a way to load P3DV2.5+ using multiple setups or not. . .something to look into.
    Ed, you might check to see if there is an update to FSTramp for P3D.

Also, you might put back in all but FStramp that you need, then retest. If that works, then put FSTramp back in to verify.

Anyone else using FSTramp?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

FSTramp latest release appears to be 5.2. I see this in the doc:

FSTramp will work only with FSX in windowed mode. Using FSTramp with FSX in Full-screen mode will cause massive windowing problems.

Source: http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloa...p-for-fsx-v52/

Is FSTramp active when you are sailing? and if so, are you in Windows mode or full screen?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Ed, you might check to see if there is an update to FSTramp for P3D.
    For the past couple of months I've been checking on a regular basis as he was supposed to be posting the final update which was the Drag N' Drop function for setting custom flight plans as he had in the original FSNav. Nothing yet.

Also, you might put back in all but FStramp that you need, then retest. If that works, then put FSTramp back in to verify.
    Working on that now.

Anyone else using FSTramp?
    I know Bill does, however he doesn't have V2.5+ and apparently that makes a big difference as his V2.3 has no problems running that and the Bounty.

FSTramp latest release appears to be 5.2. I see this in the doc:
    Actually the current Version is 5.51. . .that version made it compatible with "Steam". . .not something I am interested in

Is FSTramp active when you are sailing? and if so, are you in Windows mode or full screen?
    I have on one occasion actually loaded FSTramp to get a better picture of the distance from Pensacola to Bill's Carriers, but as a general rule. . .No I don't have it active on the desktop while I've been testing the Bounty. It is something that Loads and shows in the Addon dropdown, just as Instant Scenery 3 and FSUIPC show. When I do use it while flying it's always in Windowed Mode. . .never full screen.

Hi Ed,

Well, whatever the problem is, glad you have it working now .....

As a sidenote:
    It demonstrates again - in general - the weakness of addon development for FS; because addon development is uncoördinated between developers, one nevers know if/when/where they might conflict.
    Even if everything is made according to an SDK.
    Just an example: If another addon would also manipulate the groundspeed (like I do in the Bounty, and all of my VSTOL stuff), there's definitely a conflict.
    Another example: Accu-feel doesn't "like" my VSTOL implementations, resulting in funny behavior when in VC View.

Also - and I think all P3D users need to realise this - P3D is an addon-developers nightmare, because it's a moving target with it's constant stream of new versions and hotfixes.
    Even worse: it may introduce new incompatibilities (or even "bugs" ) with every new version or hotfix.

That said:
    I just had a look at what FStramp actually does.
    But since it's a simular addon as FSNAV for FS9, I would be very surprised if this really is the culprit.
    The only feature in it, that could be conflicting, is re-positioning of an aircraft to a waypoint ...
    So let's not blame FStramp yet ....

One of your earlier screenshots clearly demonstrated, that your "doesn't move" problem, is caused by my groundspeed commands via FSUIPC are being blocked (or overwritten) in P3D V2.5.
    In YOUR setup.
    What the cause is, is still unclear.

Anyway, you seem to have it working now.

Can you please do another test too:
    Enable CrashDetection (with "Aircraft Stress Causes Damage" enabled too), and see if that makes any difference ?
    No problem in FS9/FSX, but I'd like to know if that works in P3D as well.

Rob

Rob, I have to agree, P3D is a seriously moving target; but in my opinion it's not exclusively a curse, but also a blessing. It means it's possible to go into dialog with the developers of the core product. Hard to do with FSX-MS these days ...

Not saying the LM gang always reacts, but in my experience they do strive to listen to reason.

On another note, I have had crash detection and "stress causes damage" on all the time while testing Bounty. Just FYI.

- JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I would like to mention that the Bounty has been problem-free in FS9, FSX DX9 and DX10, P3D 1.4, to 2.3 based on reports.

The one issue in 2.4 as I recall was the need to update FSUIPC, and since updated, no further issues.

Most of this thread's discussion has centered on P3D 2.5 issues of one tester while the rest of the 2.5 users are doing fine.

This has unfortunately tainted the project IMO and the overall programming achievements and animation successes in the supported sims.

Focusing forward, I will release a second beta very soon with updates and changes reflecting your feedback, comments and recommendations.

Thank you all for helping us through the beta process. It was enlightening.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    (If anything, and this is really being subjective and nitpicky, I feel rudder response is a tiny bit too direct - I would expect a little more "creaking and shifting" before the rudder really kicks in (or "out") - but overall the inertia feels nice!).
    Remember that response to steering input depends on speed - at 2 kts it takes quite a while to get turning; at 15 it is pretty sprightly.

It partially depends on what you use for control. If you use rudder pedals it might be possible to adjust this somewhat in your software (pedals or FSUIPC) to dampen or reduce the inputs from the rather immediate responses normally associated with aircraft rudders.
    I use the keyboard commands (Num keypad 0 & Enter and 5 to center) so the rudder responds in steps. Initial press gets about 25% deflection but you can reduce this in steps by pressing the opposite direction command.
    I suppose you could remap it to a yoke or or steering wheel but that's for you to experiment

Lacking "flight test" and water tank test data from the real ship, I think Milton and Rob have come up with workable approximations. I too think it might take a bit of cranking on the wheel at slow speed to initiate a turn but at hull-speed it should be fairly light although if you used forcefeedback I'd be looking for a lot of force as there was no 'power steering'

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I placed Instant Scenery 3 and Orbx People-Flow entries back into the dll.xml file and opened my ongoing excursion. Got underway and continued to sail beyond any previous limits. This alone is significant because previously that wasn't possible (restarting a previous trip and actually having the ship pick up where it left off). I then saved the flight. . .loaded the final FSTramp entry. . .saved the file, came back and again started the trip. . . .the ship moved to about 14kts and then slowly dropped to "0" fwd speed and there she sits.

In reference to the crash detection settings, I did try that some time ago on one of my attempts to get to the Carrier scenery. I walked away from the PC for about 10 minutes and when I came back I had a "Building Crash". . .in the middle of the Gulf?

Whether or not FSTramp is the sole problem, it is at least the initiator and so for now FSTramp is removed.

I placed Instant Scenery 3 and Orbx People-Flow entries back into the dll.xml file and opened my ongoing excursion. Got underway and continued to sail beyond any previous limits. This alone is significant because previously that wasn't possible (restarting a previous trip and actually having the ship pick up where it left off). I then saved the flight. . .loaded the final FSTramp entry. . .saved the file, came back and again started the trip. . . .the ship moved to about 14kts and then slowly dropped to "0" fwd speed and there she sits.

In reference to the crash detection settings, I did try that some time ago on one of my attempts to get to the Carrier scenery. I walked away from the PC for about 10 minutes and when I came back I had a "Building Crash". . .in the middle of the Gulf?

Whether or not FSTramp is the sole problem, it is at least the initiator and so for now FSTramp is removed.
    Thanks for efforts to check that out Ed. That is strange indeed.

I will be posting the new beta soon for those who wish to try it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

After installing the updated FSUIPC in P3Dv2.5 she sails! In FSX, FSRecorder will stop her cold in playback. No biggie.

P3D pics...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I've had the "stuck in the water" problem with TacPack enabled (in P3dv2.5). Disabling TacPack every thing else seems to be working OK so far.
    Looks really good in P3d with the 3D water.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    After installing the updated FSUIPC in P3Dv2.5 she sails! In FSX, FSRecorder will stop her cold in playback. No biggie.

P3D pics...
    Wow! Great shots TuFun :-) Thanks for sharing teh pics and the info regarding FSRecorder.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    I've had the "stuck in the water" problem with TacPack enabled (in P3dv2.5). Disabling TacPack every thing else seems to be working OK so far.
    Looks really good in P3d with the 3D water.
    Interesting Dave; good info to have. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

HMS Bounty Final Beta

I have uploaded the final beta for the Bounty.

Anyone interested and has the time to test the package by Thursday, please PM me for the link.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Changes were many, but many are also subtle
    - Sounds: many adjustments to sounds for better control and variability
    - SMW background bmp better identifies switches for Auto-Skipper and Master Sail Config
    - SMW switch added for user control of Bird sounds with right click volume controls
    - SMW Bells totally under user control now with right click volume controls
    - Sails: Deployment animations changed to one sail at a time upon "Let go sheets and tacks"
    - Gauge changes to better handle issues identified in beta 2
    - VC Viewpoint raised per requests
    - Adjustments to lamp lights, eliminated 2D alternate view lights
    - Significant Doc.pdf changes to clarify, expound, and correct many things
    - etc :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton for the great package. It works flawlessly in FSX. The only thing I did was to increase the bell volume. It is really well done and very gorgeous. Regards, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by familton View Post
    Thanks Milton for the great package. It works flawlessly in FSX. The only thing I did was to increase the bell volume. It is really well done and very gorgeous. Regards, Bob.
    Thanks Bob; happy that you are enjoying the package. In the latest beta, we added volume controls to the switches (right click to adjust) for Birds and Bells. We agree that the bells were too quiet. On the replica, in addition to the one in the belfry, they was one mounted on the mizzen mast which was likely the one used most often, so it would have been loud.

If you want the final beta package, PM me.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    So you settled the MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY their ED and got her moving again........
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Thanks Milton for crafting a marvelous idea. A breath of fresh air.
    I even enjoyed reading the colorful PDF.

I tried to post my pics with this comment in one reply but for some reason, I kept getting the submit after repeat submits.
    Had to resort to posting my pics in one thread and this comment in separate post.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thanks Milton for crafting a marvelous idea. A breath of fresh air.
    I even enjoyed reading the colorful PDF.

I tried to post my pics with this comment in one reply but for some reason, I kept getting the submit after repeat submits.
    Had to resort to posting my pics in one thread and this comment in separate post.
    Thanks; made quite a few improvements on the .pdf today.

Ewwww! Great shots ... serene .... nice. Thanks for sharing them.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

One thing: When you hear the whales (or mermaids) singing, you better think very carefully about what to do next ...

"Undinal Songs urge the Sailors on - Till lured by the Siren's Cry ...".
    Last edited by Penz; April 26th, 2015 at 23:31. Reason: Came to think of the line from "Firth of Fifth" which fits quite well ...
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    One thing: When you hear the whales (or mermaids) singing, you better think very carefully about what to do next ...
    Well spotted, Penz!

Bounty handles like a dream, even has the right gear for a newbie sailor like me to make way.

In Autoskipper, she's a pussycat - automatically giving you optimum sail settings for wind conditions and direction, selecting and stowing sails when the wind livens up.

BUT...
    Ignore her warnings, override optimum sail configuration in heavy wind conditions?

Nature and Bounty will do all the talking - you'll do all the listening...
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bob; happy that you are enjoying the package. In the latest beta, we added volume controls to the switches (right click to adjust) for Birds and Bells. We agree that the bells were too quiet. On the replica, in addition to the one in the belfry, they was one mounted on the mizzen mast which was likely the one used most often, so it would have been loud.

If you want the final beta package, PM me.
    Ahhhh! Those Bells!

Hmmm...haven't been quite feeling myself lateley, must be all this bell work...

Sanctuary, Sanctuary...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_p8khzyK-E
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 1