Warning: H/W monitor status abnormal

Thread: Warning: H/W monitor status abnormal

Warning: H/W monitor status abnormal

Been away from house for three weeks and came home to a rebooted pc with wrong date and warning message ( check votage, fan speed or temp status). Daughter said we had a lightning strike nearby that jolted all the electricity in the house. So I did as instructed and had four different numbers in the red zone under the votage tab. So a quick google on what steps needed to resolve the messed up readings ( I know nothing about this area on a computer) were many. I then spotted someone with exact same issue who said their rig was plugged into a power strip and once plugged directly into wall all errors went away. So I did the same thing with fingers crossed and it worked!!! All numbers out of the red with no warning message. Thank the good Lord that fixed it so my blood pressure would not go into axiety mode. Just thought I would throw this out there since it is storm season and others could run into this same issue. So glad I did not have to change anything out except power strip.

Jim

So was the power strip and computer on during your absence? Is the power strip now toast?

I typically shut down the box at night, and everything if gone overnight. Still leaving everything plugged in but off has me wondering if I should do more.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Blog Entries
    I would suspect the little battery on the mother board this holds the date
    Look What I Have Become!

i personally shut it down every night after use but family does not follow same practice. Since thunder storms as you know are not much of a threat here in the PNW unless your in the cascades we usually don't need to worry about unplugging devices to protect them. The power strip is an older one so will replace none the less. It still works but apparently something is causing some power issues through it. Again I have no or limited knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. Will inform family though while I'm away to shut it down and unplug if storms be near.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    I would suspect the little battery on the mother board this holds the date

Will check that out.

Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    Since thunder storms as you know are not much of a threat here in the PNW unless your in the cascades we usually don't need to worry about unplugging devices to protect them.
    We've had a few good ones around Olympia. Whenever they forecast thunderstorms and I hear or see the lighting, off goes the computer.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    We've had a few good ones around Olympia. Whenever they forecast thunderstorms and I hear or see the lighting, off goes the computer.
    This year has definitely been on the active side with some intense cells moving through already.

WarHorse, did ya get to see the red sunsets this past couple days...amazing and caused by forest fire smoke from Siberia of all things. Love the NW

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    i personally shut it down every night after use but family does not follow same practice. Since thunder storms as you know are not much of a threat here in the PNW unless your in the cascades .........

Jim
    Hmm, I live in Everett and we get prolly 4 - 6 storms a year, usually in spring, summer and fall. Wintertime not nearly as much as one a year. It/they knock my Dish net off when they occur but are not long lasting at all. Hour or so and the sound and fury are done.

Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Members who have read this thread: 0