spitfire advice?

Thread: spitfire advice?

spitfire advice?

so i want a spitfire for fsx. i was hoping to hear opinions on what's good out there? i'm not really one of those "by the book" flyers, but if i buy one, i'd like a nice model. anyone care to gove their opinions?

Blog Entries
    A2A for Mk ii

RealAir for Griffon Engined IX and XIV.

Umpteen threads here on both.

dl

There are a number available..

A2A Spitfire with Accusim (if you want those bells and whistles) or without Accusim if you don't.

RealAir Spitfire

JF Spitfire.

My personal fave is the RealAir model and if you buy it from them.. the price is nice and low I don't know anyone who doesn't like the RealAir Spitfire.

ATB
    DaveB

A2A I'd say
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

RealAir is my favourite, as I prefer the Mk IX, but you can't go wrong with either the ReaAir or A2A models.

SOH-CM-2023
    There are quite a few of them that are freeware at simviation.com built by a fellow named A.F. Scrub. Here's
    a link:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Spitfire&x=14&y=21

Look through them and download what you want. Install into the appropriate sim and try them. If you don't like them, you can always go payware.

Well.. what do you think Navin??

I've just had a look at the RealAir site and their Spitfire is currently selling for 14.95 Euros.. the basic 'non accusim' A2A Spitfire Mk1/2 is $29.99USD or.. are you trying out the freeware models?

BTW DL.. the MkIX is a Merlin mate

ATB
    DaveB

A2A Spitfire sir, cant go wrong with it . And thanks to RealAir for the revolutionary aerodynamic cockpit movement following their Spitfire release for FS9, which Microsoft subsequently adopted the feature to FSX
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

A2A provides models that represent/cover the Spitfire Mk.Ia and Mk.II in one FSX-native product.

Just Flight provides models that represent/cover the Spitfire prototype/Spitfire I/Mk.Ia, the Mk.IV (a one-off prototype), and the Mk.V, through three separate FSX-native products.

Realair provides models that represent/cover the Spitfire Mk.IX and Mk.XIV in one FSX-native product (with one paint scheme representing a high-back Mk.XVI (same model/flight model as the Mk.IX)).

oh man! what a buncha guys you are! i went to those links and was confronted with TONS of cool stuff!! my credit card will be sore in no time at all! hahahaha
    i went with the real air, downloading it now. i'll let you guys know how it turns out thanks everyone

it's exactly what i was after! thank you all again!

Thats help'd me out too, ive got the old FS9 WOP WW11 Fighters Spit port-over, but that Realair model looks very attractive, and for around 12 UK pounds, a lot of Spit for your money, comes with good looking scenery too, i think my credit card getting abit itchy

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Thats help'd me out too, ive got the old FS9 WOP WW11 Fighters Spit port-over, but that Realair model looks very attractive, and for around 12 UK pounds, a lot of Spit for your money, comes with good looking scenery too, i think my credit card getting abit itchy

cheers ian
    Ian,

When you have the FS9 version, you can get a free update for your WOP Spitfire which will make it FSX native. Its available at the A2A site.

You should update to the 1.2 version first: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/view...hp?f=25&t=6280

And you can find the FSX fix here: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/view...p?f=28&t=10680

Cheers,
    huub

It does put the A2A/Shockwave Spit into a sort of no-mans land though regarding repaints. The model above is the WWII Fighters version with the FSX native update. It's still a nice model and if Ian has the older version.. it's worth the effort to use the updates

The RealAir Spit is simply gorgeous though and worth Ł12 of anyones money despite it's age. Pity the West Malling scenery isn't GenX compatible. I'm sure it could be fixed by someone clever with flattens/excludes.
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks guys, i already found those updates a while back, but im sure the links will be useful to other's, there's versions for the other WOP models aswell like the Zero, P47 and 109, but as Dave mention's, getting repaints to work can be tricky.

cheers ian

Not wanting to drag this off into the mist.. I don't think the Zero was ever made FSX native Ian. It was patched for sure but not remodelled as were the other 4.. Spit, Mustang, P47 and Me109.. unless I missed that somewhere down the line. I always wondered why the Zero wasn't done and never found out why. Anyway.. with the miracle of MCX.. anything is possible these days

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Thanks guys, i already found those updates a while back, but im sure the links will be useful to other's, there's versions for the other WOP models aswell like the Zero, P47 and 109, but as Dave mention's, getting repaints to work can be tricky.

cheers ian
    Not at all! Just convert the bmp's to dss's (and mirror these vertically) and rename these with _t added.

Cees

ww2 fighters a6m5

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Not at all! Just convert the bmp's to dss's (and mirror these vertically) and rename these with _t added.

Cees
    I wonder...is it so easy? Can we do it for This poor zéro because a2a have do patch for all aircraft of WW2 fighters except the zéro...actually i don't know if there's any zéro for fsx accélération with dx10...

It's been a while since I've used the WW2 Fighters in FS9 (or FS9 for that matter) but if he says it's that easy.. it probably is. I don't recall the Mustang being so easy but it may have been.. had I known what to do at the time. The maps certainly changed names after the FSX update and they changed again with the later, single releases. Just looking at the maps on the current Mustang.. they're not the same as either the FSX update or FS9 model.

There IS an FSX native Zero done by Aeroplane Heaven under the Just Flight banner. It NEVER appears in a sale though.. no idea why??

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    It's been a while since I've used the WW2 Fighters in FS9 (or FS9 for that matter) but if he says it's that easy.. it probably is. I don't recall the Mustang being so easy but it may have been.. had I known what to do at the time. The maps certainly changed names after the FSX update and they changed again with the later, single releases. Just looking at the maps on the current Mustang.. they're not the same as either the FSX update or FS9 model.

There IS an FSX native Zero done by Aeroplane Heaven under the Just Flight banner. It NEVER appears in a sale though.. no idea why??

ATB
    DaveB
    Thank, i now for the zéro of AH perhaps one Day...in fact ww2 fighters with the patch 1.2 work well in fsx for all aircraft in dx9c. I think That i'll try to see to change the data's texture of the zéro...
    Good flight to all of us

Concerning the texture lay-out, there is a difference between the Mustang which was released under the WOP label and which was part of a Mustang package which included the H model and the Mustang which was part of the WWII fighters package. The WOP version had the complete external texture on one single texture, while the WWII fighters had 4 textures (Left wing, right wing, front section, aft section). And as Cees already mentioned the main difference between the FS9 and FSX version of the textures are the graphic format and the "_t" behind the texture name.

As the Zero mdl file has not been converted to FSX it will NOT read files in dds format.

As far as I know, the WWII fighters Spitfire has different texture lay-out than the WOP3 (Accusim) Spitfire.

Cheers,
    Huub

Indeed Huub. It's when trying to find paints for the FSX patched models that you find this out. Some are clearly marked so you know exactly what you're getting. Others aren't and without looking at the maps.. you only find this out when you open it in the sim and see a lovely black model The FSX patched models make use of a main texture folder too. It's far from impossible to convert the old paints to the patched format but as you say.. the WOP releases are mapped differently so won't work.. by and large.

ATB
    DaveB

A bit late, but for what it's worth I still like the JF BoB Spitfire for the I and II, the JF Legends of Flight V and the RealAir IX and XIV.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Just thought i'd post a shot of the WOP Spit with the patch's mention'd in Huub's post, im very happy

cheers ian

Members who have read this thread: 0