Refueling ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refueling ?

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Will do, I have built them before in past but in a lesser manner, added the stock runways as objects via the ME, added facilities etc.I based their location based on a believe a drawing in Bruce Gamble's book on VMF 214 and Tom Blackburn's description of torokina, piva, uncle, piva yoke in his book.I should have time tomorrow afternoon and will compile the material.

Stock runway for torokina in in right location for most part, just needs look like, well some of your runways, much more accurate. Directly above it, basically running parallel, were the Piva runways believe Uncle was for bombers and yoke was for fighters.Anways, i'll gather some reference materials.
    If you mean adding runways via MB(?) as scenery objects your are comparing apples to oranges. Placing runways that CFS2 recognizes as an airfield is something altogether different.

You will find learning how to take screenshots in CFS2 will come in useful, too.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

I just read through "m4ilm4n" tutorial. It is so good. Very short too, just 3 pages, but jammed packed with pointers for the beginner.

Here is a great quote from the intro section:
    It is important to understand that building scenery is an iterative process; if you plan on getting everything right the first time you’re either way too analytical or in for a rude awakening. It usually takes me at least three or four builds to get the general idea, then I start the tweaking process. To quote from the film “High Road to China”: “the oxen are slow but the earth is patient”. Good scenery comes from patient, methodical work.
    Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    If you mean adding runways via MB(?) as scenery objects your are comparing apples to oranges. Placing runways that CFS2 recognizes as an airfield is something altogether different.

You will find learning how to take screenshots in CFS2 will come in useful, too.

MR
    Oh I have no doubt it is way different, it was just used as a stop gap measure last time I flew against Rabaul. I added the runways vie ME then got the coords, heading, eleve and added it via airbase.dat so would have a place to take off land, did same with fighter one on Henderson but adding scenery is obviously easier and less time consuming, well once you know how.Better way, period. I did it that way because was not sure on how to build and add in as scenery.

Icon22

Oh I have no doubt it is way different, it was just used as a stop gap measure last time I flew against Rabaul. I added the runways vie ME then got the coords, heading, eleve and added it via airbase.dat so would have a place to take off land, did same with fighter one on Henderson but adding scenery is obviously easier and less time consuming, well once you know how.Better way, period. I did it that way because was not sure on how to build and add in as scenery.
    That's actually a clever way to do it. I think I might have done the same when I was first trying to build missions flown from airfields not included in the game. I started making airfield- much as you describe doing it- when trying to recreate missions I was reading about in "American Aces Speak" by Eric Hamill. In particular missions flown against Rabaul from the airstrips in and around Dobodura/Popondetta and Oro Bay on the north coast of SE Papua New Guinea.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

FYI

Just for the record, for those of you who don't know: When you place a runway in this fashion, you must first swap some files. Go to the CFS2 Scenedb folder and open the Runways folder. Copy the contents of the scenedb/runways/scenery folder and paste them into the scenedb/inf/scenery folder and delete the filelist.dat file found there. Copy the contents of the scendb/runways/texture folder and paste them into the scenedb/inf/texture folder. The MS designers apparently forgot to do this before they released the game.

Maskrider may be too modest to say this but his method of scenery building (using FSSC) is more time consuming but a much better way to place a runway/scenery. You will be very pleased with the results. Plus you can place a fuel point wherever you want.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0