Refueling ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refueling ?

Refueling ?

am I wrong or is there a mod out there that makes it so can refuel when land on a runway? If so, where can I find it. I know there is one for seaplanes but need one for land planes.Thanks

Also, water as take off start point for seaplanes? Tried by putting a airbase.dat entry on water, but it CTD

The way I understand it, the refueling point needs to be added as part of the arifield model when it is built. It would be possible to build an invisible airfield with this feature, but the location would be fixed so it could not be moved around as needed.

Speaking of invisible airfields that is what needs to happen for a seaplane base. An airfield is built for the area but is made invisible. The seaplanes can then take off from the runway which just looks like normal water. Tango_Romeo made an "invisible seaplane tender" model which can be placed where you want it. It provides the invisible water runway and can be placed where you want it. It's at Simviation
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    The way I understand it, the refueling point needs to be added as part of the arifield model when it is built. It would be possible to build an invisible airfield with this feature, but the location would be fixed so it could not be moved around as needed.

Speaking of invisible airfields that is what needs to happen for a seaplane base. An airfield is built for the area but is made invisible. The seaplanes can then take off from the runway which just looks like normal water. Tango_Romeo made an "invisible seaplane tender" model which can be placed where you want it. It provides the invisible water runway and can be placed where you want it. It's at Simviation

you can add fuel areas to any airfield with FSSC. Thats how I do mine. Though now your talking about doing more than just adding scenery.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

an option...

All of Maskrider's bases have refueling areas built in. There is a utility that will place refueling areas on all the stock bases. I used to have it but cannot find it in my local archives. I will look at my older backup disks and see if I can find and upload it for you.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    All of Maskrider's bases have refueling areas built in. There is a utility that will place refueling areas on all the stock bases. I used to have it but cannot find it in my local archives. I will look at my older backup disks and see if I can find and upload it for you.
    Check SimV.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

For placing water based refueling points see the attachment below.

For the stock bases:

http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=CFSIIFuelADF.zip&fileId=32963

Attached Files Attached Files

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    For placing water based refueling points see the attachment below.

For the stock bases:

http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=CFSIIFuelADF.zip&fileId=32963

Thanks. The readme for the stock bases was not much to it.I see its scenebd file but where in scenedb do I install it ?

There should be a readme file. This is what my copy says. "Scene DB / Inf / scenery"

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Thanks. The readme for the stock bases was not much to it.I see its scenebd file but where in scenedb do I install it ?
    Load it as you would scenery via the Scenery Library. Open the Scenery Library in Settings and hit the add button. Scroll down to and double click on the Scenedb folder. Find the fueladf folder, highlight it and hit ok.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Where are the refueling places on masrider's base? or do they have to be added? if so, how so? The refueling readme was vague. I added the refueling file I downloaded, but it just adds them to stock bases.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Where are the refueling places on masrider's base?
    Howdy dasuto247,

The refueling areas in my scenery are usually visible from the runway. There is always a red gas pump quite visible and usually the red gas pump is sitting in front of a "nose" hangar- one of those hangar-type-a-small deals. There may also be oil tanks adjoining the location. When next to the shore, as most of my airfields are, there are also float plane refueling areas that can be used from the water- again also marked by the red gas pump and at least a nose hangar. Also, my scenery has a wide assortment of places from which you can start in free flight: such as inside revetments, inside hangars, at refueling areas, the other end of the runway beside the default end as well as start points for float float planes in the water. To access one of these "menu entry start points", as they are called, use the "Advanced GoTo" menu. From there choose "Scenery from FS95 and before". Then choose an airfield from the "Scenery Areas" list and then choose a start point from the "Search Results" list.

To use a refueling area you just need to taxi up near to one and stop. After a couple of seconds your tanks will magically refill. My refuel areas on the airfield are usually 200 feet square. So anywhere within 200 feet of the gas pump on the side facing the taxiway or apron along whose edge it sits. The float plane refuels are usually 400-500 feet square extending from the shoreline out into the water..

MR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails refuel01.jpg   advanced-goto.jpg   refuel00.jpg  
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

BTW, speaking of "nose hangars". Another model nose hangar popular with the Royal Flying Corps Training School at Aboukir, Egypt during the post WWI years is shown below:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nosehangar.jpg  
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Howdy dasuto247,

The refueling areas in my scenery are usually visible from the runway. There is always a red gas pump quite visible and usually the red gas pump is sitting in front of a "nose" hangar- one of those hangar-type-a-small deals. There may also be oil tanks adjoining the location. When next to the shore, as most of my airfields are, there are also float plane refueling areas that can be used from the water- again also marked by the red gas pump and at least a nose hangar. Also, my scenery has a wide assortment of places from which you can start in free flight: such as inside revetments, inside hangars, at refueling areas, the other end of the runway beside the default end as well as start points for float float planes in the water. To access one of these "menu entry start points", as they are called, use the "Advanced GoTo" menu. From there choose "Scenery from FS95 and before". Then choose an airfield from the "Scenery Areas" list and then choose a start point from the "Search Results" list.

To use a refueling area you just need to taxi up near to one and stop. After a couple of seconds your tanks will magically refill. My refuel areas on the airfield are usually 200 feet square. So anywhere within 200 feet of the gas pump on the side facing the taxiway or apron along whose edge it sits. The float plane refuels are usually 400-500 feet square extending from the shoreline out into the water..

MR
    Makes sense. Thanks for your help, really enjoying your scenery.How would I add these refueling areas to other airfields ? I'm trying g to redo toronkina , add the piva yoke and uncle fields. Need refuel area, since most planes flying missions to Rabaul were based in central Solomons, often stopped to refuel.

Smile

The refueling areas in my scenery are usually visible from the runway. There is always a red gas pump quite visible and usually the red gas pump is sitting in front of a "nose" hangar.
    Nose hanger? I don't get it. Why not use the door? That's dumb!

And while we're on the subject, my refuel point doesn't look anything like what you posted MR.
    Here's what I am getting...

Sorry dasuto247 for the interruption.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Icon22

LOL! Yeah, Dave. Obviously you failed to "copy contents of your scenedb/world/texture folder to your main CFS2 texture folder" as instructed in the readme! Tsk. Tsk! ;^)

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

How would I add these refueling areas to other airfields ?
    Learn how to use FSSC. It is very simple to add a refueling areas using FSSC and it will not conflict with any scenery already there.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

BTW, speaking of "nose hangars". Another model nose hangar popular with the Royal Flying Corps Training School at Aboukir, Egypt during the post WWI years is shown below:

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing.

Learn how to use FSSC. It is very simple to add a refueling areas using FSSC and it will not conflict with any scenery already there.

MR
    Will do, thanks again for the scenery, adds a whole new feel to game.

dasuto247,

I'm sure you've seen the PM I sent. Let me know when your ready. I have a few things that I can send you that might help.

Icon22

dasuto247,

In case you are interested. Here is a link to a very excellent tutorial about how to build a very basic base using FSSC. It was written by John W. " m4ilm4n" Applegate way back in 2001. Still as relevant and useful as ever. It references an older version of FSSC, version 1.2.15 or thereabouts, which works just fine- still the version I use for most of my work. If you would like I can give you a link to the older version of FSSC that fits the tutorial. There is a newer version available. But for just setting up a simple airfield with no runways and nothing but a refueling area, the older one works fine, plus all of the dialogue boxes and such fit the tutorial.

How to Add A Base to CFS2

MR

PS Couldn't believe the link was still working after all these years!

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

whats different about the two versions? I know in the one I use the flatten area doesn't work. I have to use either groundmaker or MKafd for that.

Icon22

You know Blood_Hawk23 I can't list all of the differences- although my blended scenery tutorial does numerate a few of them. There are a lot of difference just in the way the user interfaces with the program as well as the number of things the new versions allows you to do that the older version required edits to the sca file. As to why you can't get a flatten to work in the new version, I don't know why that would be. I used the new version extensivley in the Marianas pack and the Area16N flat areas I created worked just fine. My "new" version of FSSC is Version 1.5.11. I think the key is to use the A16N (bgl) option and not the "Flatten (scenery.cfg) option.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

dasuto247,

In case you are interested. Here is a link to a very excellent tutorial about how to build a very basic base using FSSC. It was written by John W. " m4ilm4n" Applegate way back in 2001. Still as relevant and useful as ever. It references an older version of FSSC, version 1.2.15 or thereabouts, which works just fine- still the version I use for most of my work. If you would like I can give you a link to the older version of FSSC that fits the tutorial. There is a newer version available. But for just setting up a simple airfield with no runways and nothing but a refueling area, the older one works fine, plus all of the dialogue boxes and such fit the tutorial.

How to Add A Base to CFS2

MR

PS Couldn't believe the link was still working after all these years!
    Thanks.Going to give it a try.Long term my project is to do a Rabaul campaign(sure it has been done but want to anyways) so need to get the airfields around Empress Augusta Bay right, with the runways etc and a key is to have refueling as an option there, since most Marine F4U's simply used the field there as a stop over from what I have read.

I think the key is to use the A16N (bgl) option and not the "Flatten (scenery.cfg) option.

MR
    MR,

I'll have to try that. I think I've been trying to use the Flatten option. Actually that might explain a lot.

dasuto247,

If you have any reference material we can add them to semi historical location. Start getting information on the locations that you want to work on. Namely in freeflight, get the coords for the runway centers and the elevation data. then get the same locations for the places you want to add the fuel areas. You will also need the runway heading. You can get the runway info from the airbase.dat file.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    MR,

I'll have to try that. I think I've been trying to use the Flatten option. Actually that might explain a lot.

dasuto247,

If you have any reference material we can add them to semi historical location. Start getting information on the locations that you want to work on. Namely in freeflight, get the coords for the runway centers and the elevation data. then get the same locations for the places you want to add the fuel areas. You will also need the runway heading. You can get the runway info from the airbase.dat file.
    Will do, I have built them before in past but in a lesser manner, added the stock runways as objects via the ME, added facilities etc.I based their location based on a believe a drawing in Bruce Gamble's book on VMF 214 and Tom Blackburn's description of torokina, piva, uncle, piva yoke in his book.I should have time tomorrow afternoon and will compile the material.

Stock runway for torokina in in right location for most part, just needs look like, well some of your runways, much more accurate. Directly above it, basically running parallel, were the Piva runways believe Uncle was for bombers and yoke was for fighters.Anways, i'll gather some reference materials.

Members who have read this thread: 0