C-97 BETA now available for download! - Page 7
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: C-97 BETA now available for download!

Hi Manfred

One thing I've noticed.. I've used callouts for the first time (didn't try prior to patch-1) and note I get a decision height warning after take-off??

The shift+3 issued previously reported isn't mentioned in the patch-1 and still persists. Otherwise.. all appears to be ok thus far. I've tried cold start and shutdown using the monitor plus it's other panels (AP e t c).. all working as prescribed.

ATB
    DaveB

Manfred..

I've had another go at this this afternoon.. a nice little Culdrose to Gibraltar run at FL200/225kias.

Can't remember if this happened before but when you select the Speed placard, the Power placard flashes up briefly.. likewise, when you select the Power placard the Speed placard flashes up briefly. No big deal.

The radio section.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this but all the radio's have a standby function in shift+4 but there are no entries in the cfg making them 'live' (standby are all at 0).

No matter what I did with Nav1.. the localizer always flags 'FROM'.. that or off if no freq is active.

On the subject of Nav's.. I was unable to get the AP to follow a selected nav frequency. The freqs were 'live' (most of them) making it possible to read a heading and enter that manually into HDG on the AP but I couldn't find a way to tune the radio and loc the AP to it. Didn't have the opportunity to try APPR on AP as Gib doesn't have ILS (not on my setup anyway)!! Selecting GPS had the aircraft starting a heavy RH turn.. where to I've no idea. NAV LOCK doesn't appear to do anything.

I think selecting Cruise on the engine panel (pre patch 1) set the mixture as well as the prop pitch. It doesn't do this now. MIX reads 100% unless set manually with the mouse. Middle=Best doesn't work on MIX either or if it does.. I've misunderstood it's function.

Still.. it was an interesting and enjoyable flight and who uses AP for landing anyway
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Dropbox download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C97_Patch1.zip

Changes so far:
    - Ted's engine smoke (with thanks to Bill Leaming)
    - revised Turbocharger/wet takeoff (some users had display problems with earlier version)
    - Radio Altimeter w/ Decision Height callout and light (note, low-range only, 0-400 ft)
    - Altimeter dial-in pressure knob (via new interior mdl)
    - Monitor > Avionics > ADF for NDB navigation
    - Monitor > Avionics > Xpdr (Transponder) squawk
    - Monitor > Misc > Cabin lights (thanks Roger)
    - Monitor > Engines > OAT revised de-icing
    - Monitor > Flight > Fuel/weight settable

Readme:

When you open this zip you will see two folders: Boeing_C-97\ and Effects\

(1) Copy folder Boeing_C-97\ to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\. This will update your current C-97 installation without changing aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg (see item 3 and 4 below). Accept replacing files when prompted, but use 'merge' or 'update' mode for folders.

(2) Copy folder Effects\ to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\. This will add one light effect file and two smoke effect files.

(3) Go to the Boeing_C-97 folder. If you have made any changes since the basepack release then backup your aircraft.cfg . Now rename aircraft.cfg-patch1 to aircraft.cfg, and merge any elements (such as added repaints/ fltsims) if necessary.

(4) Go to the Boeing_C-97\panel folder. If you have made any changes since the basepack release then backup your panel.cfg. Now rename panel.cfg-patch1 to panel.cfg, and merge any elements from the backup that you might have added in the meantime.
    I'd like to know if it is possible to activate Ted's smoke so that it stays on. It only smokes so long as I press the "I" key; when I let go, the smoke stops.

Throttles in sync

Some times, I find that I get into a situation where for some reason, one of the throttle levers will move and the other three will not. How can I resync them all without having to reload the aircraft.

Some times, only one throttle lever will move while the others are locked.

If you put your cursor over the 1234 numbers on the engine page then RIGHT click.. this will sync all the engines. Are you saying they're dropping out of sync?

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    If you put your cursor over the 1234 numbers on the engine page then RIGHT click.. this will sync all the engines. Are you saying they're dropping out of sync?

ATB
    DaveB
    Not sure, I was "monkeying" with some of the engine settings (SHIFT 4) (don't remember which) then when I went to take a peak at the throttles, I notice that only one (first one on the right) would move.
    the others were unresponsive - even when I use my joystick throttle - had to reselect the same plane to get all the throttles to move. I know that was drastic but I did not know how to
    correct the situation when three of the four throttles were locked.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'd like to know if it is possible to activate Ted's smoke so that it stays on. It only smokes so long as I press the "I" key; when I let go, the smoke stops.

The smoke system is operated by the engine MANIFOLD PRESSURE (inhg). Cruise smoke will be activated around 34 inhg to 36 inhg. Once it reaches 44 inhg to 46 inhg, darker smoke kicks in up to max power. As throttle are pulled back the reverse happens and below 34 inhg, there will be no smoke. Cruise setting should be about 40 inhg with light smoke.

I've circled the "Map" in red to check the readings as the smoke is activated. Each radial responds differently to the smoke effects.

Want to give a shout out to Bill Leaming (n4gix) for helping me solve a looping problem in the code.

Thanks Bill!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Not sure, I was "monkeying" with some of the engine settings (SHIFT 4) (don't remember which) then when I went to take a peak at the throttles, I notice that only one (first one on the right) would move.
    the others were unresponsive - even when I use my joystick throttle - had to reselect the same plane to get all the throttles to move. I know that was drastic but I did not know how to
    correct the situation when three of the four throttles were locked.

Thanks.
    The reason I asked is because I might have seen this myself today. I'll check again asap
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    The smoke system is operated by the engine MANIFOLD PRESSURE (inhg). Cruise smoke will be activated around 34 inhg to 36 inhg. Once it reaches 44 inhg to 46 inhg, darker smoke kicks in up to max power. As throttle are pulled back the reverse happens and below 34 inhg, there will be no smoke. Cruise setting should be about 40 inhg with light smoke.

I've circled the "Map" in red to check the readings as the smoke is activated. Each radial responds differently to the smoke effects.

Want to give a shout out to Bill Leaming (n4gix) for helping me solve a looping problem in the code.

Thanks Bill!

Thanks for the demo. I must not of installed the Patch1 correctly. The effects went to the effects folder. I am using the patch 1 aircraft.cfg and I've incorporated the new panel files.

I recreated the speed and other conditions including the MAP and unless I press the I key I don't see any smoke. Hummm......

Smoke effect

Judging from the video, the smoke is automatic when the speed and Map is per the video, but I get nothing.

I have some repaints added to the original aircraft.cfg that I copied and pasted to the patch1 aircraft.cfg then renamed it
    same thing for the panel folder (CFG) I renamed the old one .bak and then renamed the new one (Patch1) to panel.cfg.

all the effects went to the EFFECTS folder and when I opened FSX it asked me if I accepted those new gauges, which I did

Hmm.. I'm seeing smoke gray eagle. You don't get gallons of the stuff but it looks right. At certain angles.. eg, when viewing from below the aircraft up towards a dark sky.. you can barely see it but it's there. If in doubt.. bin the modified cfg (put it in a folder within the model and call it cfgs or something) then reinstall the new one making sure you remove patch_1 in the title.

ATB
    DaveB

Let there be smoke

Yea! I wasn't expecting gallons of smoke just something resembling what TED's video showed.

I wound up redoing the install of Patch 1. Thanks Ted for your video.
    This plane is amazing.....

The best example I could find of how smokey a C-97 could be is this video. Advance to about 4:00 and notice the smoke on max power takeoff. Not much and probably at cruise very little to nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMofgibpij8

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I don't see your shots g-e (IE11).

Yup.. it's a good'un for sure. With some models.. the take-off can be leery or the landing can be leery.. this old girl takes everything in her stride

Re Callouts..
    Thinking aloud here.. could these be expanded to include maybe V1 and rotate? Dave Maltby did a great chinagraph placard in his jets which after you've fuelled.. you click on and it will show relevant data for takeoff.. V1, rotate, V2 e t c and if you have his callouts enabled.. you get V1 and rotate called at the correct speed for the weight of the aircraft. The chinagraph placard continually updates throughout the flight and based on weight.. offers correct landing speed/flap setting options. I know (or guess) this is probably beyond the remit for the C97 but I was kinda expecting similar from the callouts.
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    The best example I could find of how smokey a C-97 could be is this video. Advance to about 4:00 and notice the smoke on max power takeoff. Not much and probably at cruise very little to nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMofgibpij8

I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I don't see your shots g-e (IE11).

DaveB

Look above ^ #162

Look above ^ #162
    Sorry mate.. I don't see shots in any of your posts?? The post you made replying to Ted's video showed the video but all of your posts with shots show black square/white X. How odd??
    ATB
    DaveB

Hopefully the boom will be made functional via tacpack!? I thought I read that somewhere. Almost done with my metal conversion of the stock paint. I'm also going to create a blank kit for anyone to use as a base paint if you wish. I'll release them separately. The really neat thing about this shot...if I could have got a different angle is that the Hustler is nose high slightly while the 97 is nose low...at speed...very cool. 350kts...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

How about a bit of orange paint?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Fabulous! I love it!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

He's back!! Nice one Jan

ATB
    DaveB

Hi and many thanks for further feedback on Patch 1. At this point I can say something on the following ...

(Dave) I get a decision height warning [callout] after take-off?? Oops I overlooked that. I think one better make that conditional on a negative Vspeed, so that it will sound on descent only. Earmarked for Patch 2.

(Dave) Re Callouts.. Thinking aloud here.. could these be expanded to include maybe V1 and rotate? Dave Maltby did a great chinagraph placard in his jets which after you've fuelled.. you click on and it will show relevant data for takeoff.. V1, rotate, V2 e t c and if you have his callouts enabled.. you get V1 and rotate called at the correct speed for the weight of the aircraft. The chinagraph placard continually updates throughout the flight and based on weight.. offers correct landing speed/flap setting options. I know (or guess) this is probably beyond the remit for the C97 but I was kinda expecting similar from the callouts. I love callouts myself, and we had something like that in our FS9 Connies. It all depends on whether we can port that over.

(Dave) I think selecting Cruise on the engine panel (pre patch 1) set the mixture as well as the prop pitch. It doesn't do this now. MIX reads 100%. Check again, Dave? I suspect you must have pressed "to" instead of "cr" inadvertently. Cr still sets 61 throttle and 80 pitch.

(Dave) Middle=Best doesn't work on MIX . This will happen either if you have Automixture ticked in FSX settings, or if you are in a situation where current is best. To test, set Automixture OFF, go to alt 5000, and click set Best. You will see that Mix slowly decreases while you gain power and better fuel flow. All "to the best", so to speak... Unfortunately Monitor has no way of checking whether Automix is on or off. If on its value is static and meaningless. But it doesn't impact on performance.

(Gray Eagle) one of the throttle levers will move and the other three will not. How can I resync them? Make sure all 4 engines are selected. In VC, mid-click on a throttle lever, then push an inch. To synch Prop Control use the single blue lever or in Monitor > Engines > Props L-click "Props". Or, all engines selected, click Throttle > cr for a more or less middle-of-the road synch at 61 and 80 respectively. Remember to synch your own joystick Throttle as well because neither the VC levers nor Monitor can do that for you.

(Rick) Almost done with my metal conversion of the stock paint. I'm also going to create a blank kit for anyone to use as a base paint if you wish. I'll release them separately. The really neat thing about this shot...if I could have got a different angle is that the Hustler is nose high slightly while the 97 is nose low...at speed...very cool. 350kts... Absolutely looking forward to the natural silver paintkit. Nose-down attitude for max speed is correct for 97, I believe they called that 'tobogganing'. Dan could tell you more about this I am sure.

Cool dayglo paint, Jan!

Reminder,
    Patch 1 download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...C97_Patch1.zip
    FAQs: http://teamstrat.proboards.com/threa...aq-master-list

Thanks Manfred

I checked Automixture and it was ON!! I'm sure these things reset themselves sometimes MIX now functioning as intended.

I looked at the NAV1 localizer again just and this now shows TO as well as FROM. Not ONE of the VOR's I tuned to enroute Gibraltar yesterday showed TO. My flabber is gasted!!!

I'll do another long run when I get a chance (Monday probably) to keep an eye on those throttle levers. I KNOW they were all in sync yesterday as I was in a stable attitude and holding airspeed. I happened to glance down while trying to get Nav Lock to engage and noticed throttle lever 1 was fwd of the rest. I thought nothing of it and simply hit right click on 1234 again. It was only when gray eagle commented that I remembered it happening.

Those callouts would be great if they could be implemented Manfred.

ATB
    DaveB

Who's this Jan Dav and Manf are talking about?

Anyway, one more link to a paint: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...87-19th-arefs/
    Last edited by jankees; April 25th, 2015 at 06:13.

Jan Kees we should have said -- how often do you have to tell us...

Members who have read this thread: 2