C-97 BETA now available for download! - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: C-97 BETA now available for download!

What do I need to do to get this beast to fly above 12,000 feet? I keep all the dials in the green, manage the climb rate, etc. and seems to putter out when I get between FL11 and FL12. What am I doing wrong?

E

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post

still wip, but nearly there
    Awesome work. Really nice job. I can't wait for the orange one. Or that one available now?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    What do I need to do to get this beast to fly above 12,000 feet? I keep all the dials in the green, manage the climb rate, etc. and seems to putter out when I get between FL11 and FL12. What am I doing wrong?
    E
    I know you've probably checked this but are you using automixture? If not possibly the mixture needs to be leaned out more?

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Awesome work. Really nice job. I can't wait for the orange one. Or that one available now?
    that one is: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...87-19th-arefs/
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I know you've probably checked this but are you using automixture? If not possibly the mixture needs to be leaned out more?
    Having automixture ticked won't stop it getting to alt Ed but it WILL stop the MIX middle=best function on the shift+4 panel. I've taken her up to FL200 loads of times with automixture on (I thought it was off!!) Off the top of my head.. I can't think why it's not getting above FL120 for you?? Maybe Manfred will have the answer? Are all 4 engines lit on shift+4 (eg, are they in sync)?
    ATB
    DaveB

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Nice view from there
    Porto-Vecchio bay, right ?

Eric, she should manage 20,000 easily, and does so on my setup, as on Ted's above. She wasn't a good climber though, in real life. Could anything be eating up your power, such as was mentioned, mixture (but you would normally get a warning and prompt from FSX). Also, sometimes it gets very cold up there, so check OAT and perhaps turn the heaters on. If that's not it make a screenshot of the Monitor panels, maybe we can see something there.

Zsolt: is that the box art from the Academy 1/72 plastic model kit? And did you build it?
    Last edited by mjahn; April 27th, 2015 at 04:46.

One technical question, about the real bird: At what cruise speed was the refueling done ?
    I have the A2A Stratocruiser, with Accusim. It's very nice but it's not really "fast". Could it really refuel heavy jets like a Phantom or such ?

I'm having trouble getting above 12000 as well, the engines just stop around that height...

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I'm having trouble getting above 12000 as well, the engines just stop around that height...
    Hi Jankees, I've had her up to over 20,000' with the mixture controls set right back, nearly to shut off.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Stratocruiser, really refuel heavy jets like a Phantom or such ?
    Yes KC-97s could. Israeli air force KC-97s refueled Phantoms and A-4 Skyhawks. Also USAF KC-97s refueled great variety of planes including Phantoms.

Regards,

Aharon

Jankees,

Many many thanks for your kindness painting Israeli air force livery!!

Regards,

Aharon

you're welcome!

and yes, the mixture did it, 20000 has been reached.
    I did it with this one:

Although in reality it was a KC-97E, I thought you wouldn't mind, it is now on OZx

It doesn't matter which flavour it should be jankees (no Jan this time).. it's going into my collection

Cheers
    ATB
    DaveB

One for Manfred I think.. nav radios.

I've been trying to get the AP to follow a nav track rather than blindly letting it do it's own thing with a planned flight and GPS selected. I've noted on previous flights that the localizer/distance gauge often doesn't show TO.. only FROM. Further tests flying from VOR to VOR using nav1 show this still to be the case. For example.. I can setup on the runway at Culdrose, take-off and tune nav1 to the Lands End VOR. On this occasion (always) the FROM/TO arrow flags TO which is correct. However.. flying past the VOR.. the localizer/distance gauge remains at TO and doesn't flip to FROM as you overfly. Tuning to further VOR's on nav1 invariably flags FROM not TO though tuning to an ILS.. it will flag TO. It will not, however, flag FROM if you overfly.

The RMI consistently finds the VOR and points to it. It will also swing as you overfly.. eventually pointing 180 from where it was.

With all this said.. I can't see how you can successfully fly nav to nav using radios.. I certainly can't after days of trying. IF there was a way to switch radios.. eg, use nav1 for ILS and nav2 for navigation using the RMI.. you'd be able to do it. Is nav1 assuming an OBS control to select a radial? I don't know. For sure.. a control switch to select nav1/nav2 active-inactive would solve the problem and by changing 1, 0 to 1, 1 in the cfg would allow you to flit painlessly from one VOR to the next using the nav2 radio (or nav1 were it not slaved to the ILS/distance gauge).

Or.. perhaps I'm barking up the wrong forest I'm not sure what's more frustrating.. that I can't get it to work or the fact I'll probably never use it if it does!
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Yes KC-97s could. Israeli air force KC-97s refueled Phantoms and A-4 Skyhawks. Also USAF KC-97s refueled great variety of planes including Phantoms.

Regards,

Aharon
    I bet that refueling of jets was done with the KC-97 version that had the two outboard jet engines for extra speed?

E

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Nice view from there
    Porto-Vecchio bay, right ?
    Yep... sure is!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I bet that refueling of jets was done with the KC-97 version that had the two outboard jet engines for extra speed?

E

You would be correct but it could be done without two external jet engines which IAF or USAF did many times before anyway.

Regards,

Aharon

Hi Jankees,

It's about time I said Thank You Sir, for all your wonderful repaints.

Thanks,

Bob

Here's my two pennies worth but still a WIP. A standard 1970 scheme from one at AMARC - 53-0276. I've made a set of fairly standard stencils based on the paint kit and photos which the team are welcome to for inclusion in any future paint kit. There are a couple of things that can't be done because of the way the textures of the wing tanks and nacelles are mapped. The prop warning placards on the inboard nacelles display on both nacelles so I took it off, and the radio call sign cannot be displayed on the wing tanks because one map does both left and right tanks.

I've also tried to add some panel shading though there may not be very much - not sure, not many good photo of the KC-97 in service.

DaveQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KC-97 2.jpg  
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Members who have read this thread: 2