My New Flight Deck

Thread: My New Flight Deck

My New Flight Deck

I've had a 39" TV on the wall in my bedroom that I never watch. Today, I picked up a new desk and moved the TV to the wall over that. With the TV in use as an extended desktop monitor, I'm looking forward to flying with a nice wide view! Notice the GPS and radio popups undocked and moved down in this quick demo pic...

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Very nice.Where is your keyboard?

Anthin.

The bottom monitor is my laptop, with a full keyboard, but I also have a wireless keyboard that I didn't yet have on the pullout when I snapped the pic. I probably won't use that during flights though. I'm still tweaking the setup, so layout will probably change. I also need to get a better mouse, but the ones that say they work on glass are pricey.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks Tom for the reply.Very interesting.

Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    ...... I also need to get a better mouse, but the ones that say they work on glass are pricey.
    If it's any help with that, I use a track ball, aka upside down mouse, because of limited desk space.

The one on the left here >

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/trackballs

Ttfn

Pete

I've used one of those for quite a while, but I don't like the latest L'tech configuration software for it - they took away too much of what I used just about every time I put my hand on it. I'm thinking about this one:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produc...ouse-mx?crid=7
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members +
    Just an idea (does not take up space)! Maybe use a 2nd keyboard, tilted up against the wall, next to your laptop's keyboard, with remapped & relabled keys (I used FSUIPC).
    On this keyboard, I grouped & colour coded key assignments for eg. radios gears, engine start, etc, to make button presses more realistic.

This way, you can actually minimise a lot of mouse (& conventional shift-, & alt- type key) usage.

I learned long ago that mice, in general, are ergonomic disasters just like traditional keyboards if you do a lot of typing. Since most people don't have their mouse at a proper height or distance it can lead to alll sorts of repetitive strain injuries and awkward movements. The other value of a trackball is that it lets you use less footprint on a crowded surface. As a result I only have a mouse around for when I'm traveling as it's better than a touchpad.

I too wanted easier access to commands so I went with a Logitech G-13 GamePad

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/pro...nced-gameboard. 25 programmable keys, and the mini-joystick is a plus, again when I travel. It's not a great replacement for a full-size stick but it actually can be used with FS for basic test-flying, which I sometimes have to do while on holidays.

I use the trackball right-handed and the GamePad with my left along side my Siatek yoke and throttles

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I thought about the game pad, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll spend a little more and get myself a G510 keyboard with 18 programmable "G Keys." It looks to me like a reboot of the original G15, which I had for several years.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0