MDLC again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDLC again!

MDLC again!

Which is the last version? I have 190 and 117. Unhappily, I deleted B85 that seems to be the most workable of all. Can you help me!

Cheers

Pepe

The last version is the beta 117 and it is the best version. Now i am in my job, but when i reach my home , i `ll see if i have the b85, and i share it.
    Cheers
    Mario

Attached Beta85

Attachment 21758
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon23 Well.... u won Allen!

But i have the beta 75!!
    Cheers
    Mario
    Attached Files Attached Files

just remember that the newer ones are subpost to fix the light_state issue. I have all but the b75 as well if anyone needs them.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Gents,
    It goes MDLC:-

Beta 75
    Beta 85
    117 - weapons building.
    and the last is 190

190 is the best, as BH states, it is has had all the other tweaks such as glightstates removal etc.

BUT, sometimes 190 will not convert flap ani's correctly (usually doing one side but not the other), so using manual MDLC 190 through a command prompt, is the way to go. Although you think using the earlier versions you get a conversion you will not be getting rid of the glightstates check and other issues.

Although the best way is to convert with the one which works for you, then use a hex editor and edit out the crash and glightstates checks.

Cheers

Shessi

I still sayin that beta 117 is the best to get sucsess in hard conversions.
    To delete the g_lights _states ( it causes the error SIM1SIM in missions and quick combat) use a exeditor , use the search tool and find this: 9d e9 f0 57 23 05 9c 4e bc b6 12 bb 2f e7 3f 06 (find them like hex string, no text) and replace them by zeros.

I have the best xeditor , recomended by SIMONU and it is freeware , and it could be in the library also.
    Cheers
    Mario
    Last edited by misson; April 11th, 2015 at 19:44.

Guys,

Are there any written directions on how to do a manual conversion using all the tricks? I can do just the simple ones that go through MDLC, but would like to try many of the planes that don't make it through.

Thanks,

msfossey

Hi MS,
    Yes there is. If you read any of Ivan's README's that comes with any version of MDLC, it explains the command switches for manual MDLC.

Basically (and remember this varies with differing OS's), to get a DOS command box up just go to START, and in the Run box type in cmd and then press enter. This brings up the DOS command box, now you can either type in the navigation to where you put your MDLC, or better still create a DOS command box short cut and put it with your MDLC.
    You can put it with the same MDLC folders as the MK_MDLC MDLC. When you want to manual MDLC just click on the shortcut and a command box will come up and be ready without having to 'find' your way to where your MDLC is.

You then follow the switches as explained in Ivan's MDLC README. A couple of things, change the name of the mdl you're using to something simple like X or Z, and use no more than 8 letters if you're using a full name so for example, X.mdl or abcdefgh.mdl. Give it time to de-compile or compile.

Cheers

Shessi

I don't think msfossey is asking how to run MDLC.exe in the DOS window but what it dose to the model, IE what it changes in the model's coding.

Guys,

What I’m curious about is “how to” convert some of the more complicated models from FS9 to CFS2. I can run the easy ones through MDLC. When the mdl file converts it is very easy.

But on models where the mdl file does not convert, such as Sky Unlimited’s P-38F, how do you work on the conversion. I know it can be done. I would like to learn myself. Where should I start?

Thanks for you input,

msfossey

Thats where the SCASM editing comes in. Thats something that I'm still working on as well. There are a few that just won't convert. Some of the WWI with the wire animations don't want to convert. even with SCASM editing.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Icon28

My friend msfossey, all models are convertible! The question really is, how far you want to go for that model to convert. I do not know practically nothing about the use of SCASM. But I understand some guidelines, is that nothing is easy. There is a lot of try and error.
    But you have something to appreciate: it is that tingling inside, that motivates you to want to know and that is comforting and fun here. And it will cause problems with your wife.LOL
    I recommend starting with the Magazine of Robert John, then install modelconvertX, install GMAX with their respective plugins and start experimenting. There are forums on design as http://www.fsdeveloper.com or here :http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-amp-Animation.
    You have the instinct to guide you through what you are looking for.
    Go forward! starting slowly.
    Use MDLC may be easy but will not work with all models. For these difficult models you could export the visual model with ConvertX program. And then reconstruct the animations with Gmax.Relocate textures, blablabla, To finally export to FS2004 and again use MDLC to convert to CFS2, but this would be your most difficult case. There easiest whichever is the difficulty. I think the use of SCASM might be easier to repair some animation but for large-scale work of many animations, resolution of parts etc, it may be more convenient to use gmax.
    Hope this give u a idea of this bussines.
    All these reasons are Why there is no a simple tutorial for conversions. I do not domain all this knowledge (i´m too far). But u have good people that can help u anywhere, just ask!
    Cheers
    Mario

Thank you!

I just arrived from a working trip to Rio.

Cheers

Pepe

MDLC 117 beta

Hi all
    I have been having a lot of trouble with MK_MDLC v2.0, (MDLC 117beta) recently.
    It quickly converts the GMax export to MD8 (FS2002) but it is 'hanging' when converting MD8 to MD2.
    This morning I converted one model successfully, but a second model 'hung'.
    Shessi has given some answers, such as using too much RAM, my RAM monitor show about 37% used with background programs etc.
    I have reinstalled the FS2004 Gmax SDK and MK_MDLC v2.0, (MDLC 117beta) without success.
    It could be the exporting process so I have put in a GMax export for anyone to test.
    It is a minesweeper for Achim called 'x'.
    Cheers
    Stuart

x.zip

Worked fine with MK_MDLC (beta85). MK_MDLC (beta85) is what I use all of the time. Attached the convert to CFS2 model.

Attachment 22687

Thanks Allen

Thanks Allen.
    I have downloaded Beta 85 and will give it a try.
    I just tested 1.90 and had a two failures on the MD8 to MD2 conversion.
    Cheers
    Stuart

No Luck

Hi Allen
    I had no luck with beta85 either, but I did get the message 'conversion failed' going from MD8 to MD2 rather than the 'hang' with beta117.
    I will do a virus check tonight. I use XP. As I understand MDLC does not work with Win7.
    I have attached a few ships that I would appreciate if anyone can convert them to MDL files, they are a few more minesweepers.
    Cheers
    Stuart

I did your model the other day but today MDLC dosen't work. Any model that I know worked just hangs in the MK MDLC window. I see in the DOS window that it dose convert from FS2004 and a CONVERT.LOG and CONVER.MD8 are made but MK MDLC dosen't take them from the MK MDLC folder and put them into the folder that your converting from.

I tired a restat but got the same. I ended up re-downloading the whole Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+.zip http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d&page=3&pp=20 and got it to work. Attaching the converted modes.

Attachment 22764

Thanks Allen

Hi Allen
    Thanks for doing the conversions.
    You seem to have found the problem I have.
    I re-downloaded the Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+.zip again (this is the version I have been using), but it still hangs on the MD8 to MD2 conversions.
    I am perplexed. Shessi says that the amount of RAM may have something to do with it.
    Again, thanks for the conversions, at least I can do these models for achim.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Question

Stuart,
    I've been getting odd MDLC things as waiting to convert, not an outright failure. Now I've not had this before, but get it as yourself with this ship. I see your issue, and am not sure about what I said and RAM. I have left this and other 'waiting' conversions over night, but all have just stalled. I have tried using MDLC manually, which usually overcomes these sorts of issues, but still no luck. And have tried MDLC 75,85,117,140 and 190, all no go.

What system/OS do you and Allen run, as it could still be RAM or a DOS issue and how the different rigs handle it.....

Shessi

Icon28 Beta 117

I could do it fast with no troubles. (had to say my PC)
    I have zipped the original mdlc program, because i dont know why , some times i get it work replacin the whole program with his files.
    Try to keep the MDLC.ini file, safe
    Cheers
    Mario

Shessi
    I use XP SP3. I got/had the waiting to convert hang in the Mk MDLC window but if I open the DOS window by uncheck Hide DOS window It says that the convert worked and as I said I see CONVERT.LOG, CONVER.MD8 and TEMP.MD8 made by MDLC.exe in the Mk MDLC folder. This tells me that something is wrong with the Mk MDLC.exe (The nice interface).

Allen,
    Yes I use an XP SP3 machine for this work. I played around with various things, and realised there are so many mdlc and x2 Mk_mdlc files out there. As XP has not had any updates it's strange why I get this converting waiting warning, where I never use to get that??

117 seems to be working ok,but I want 190 (as has been ) working correctly.

RAM total and how how you've been using your pc (RAM memory-wise) beforehand does play a part in mdlc pass or fail.

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    117 seems to be working ok,but I want 190 (as has been ) working correctly

Shessi
    Hi All,

Thought I would share what has caused problems in the past for myself.

1.) Only one version of mdlc can be on the C: drive at any given time. "C:\MDLC" as in the configuration file.
    No other versions can be there. If there are any, cross scripting will occur. It will not matter if the configuration file points to another version. There will still be problems.
    If you have another version, Cut and paste it to a storage folder.

2.) Some files from older versions of mdlc need to be in your 190 folder. Most important are the (3) md2 files, 20 kb in size.
    I have inadvertently deleted this by mistake in the past because of the extension name (md2). Always look at the file size of the md2 as stated above before cleaning up the mdlc folder.

3.) This is a mystery to me but after a HD defrag mdlc will not work.
    Keep unused copies of these files. For some reason they have become corrupted after defrag.
    I'll attach these files below.

Copy and paste these into your ver.190 folder, allow overwrite.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0