Before i do something stupid........

Thread: Before i do something stupid........

Before i do something stupid........

Hey Guys,
    ok i have my CH products,Yoke,Peddles,and two throttle quads,i now have the saitek cessna trim wheel,and the saitek switch panel (as disclosed in my other post),so..can i do all the assignments in FSX?..can i do the CH stuff in FSX and use the siatek software..can i do ALL of the controllers in the siatek software?..or should i just do it all in FSUIPC?..i have the paid version.if thats the case..can i.or can i not just do a "default" profile that will will work in all of my planes...for now im going to do just twins and singles...OR since i have the ability to do four engined aircraft..can i just do a default,or maybe "generic" would be a better term..for all a/c..?......i used to have it that way,but someone decided i should do each aircraft one at a time...im not gonna do that..would take me 3 months and my ADD/ADHD would surely kick in and make me not even try to fly...its happened before to me..i just got frustrated and quit..i dont want it to happen again...so please i ask ya..give me some good advice to help be do just the basic's...i dont need one button doing 24 different things...just a nice generic profile for all...thank you Dave.

Here's how I do things, but I'm not about to suggest that it's best, or even right.

- I start off by creating a basic set of assignments in FSUIPC, covering all of the basic stuff that will be the same in every sim. For example, I have the same buttons mapped to elevator trim, pan reset, view zoom in / zoom out, etc. I alternate between a yoke and a joystick and different throttles depending on the plane, so I can't do more at this time.

- I then let FSUIPC create a new profile, using the default assignments, for any new plane I fly. To this I'll add the axis assignments. If the plane uses mostly default controls for buttons, I'll also assign other buttons at this time if I want 'em.

- When I have a chance, I'll manually edit the FSUIPC file so that each profile is generic and will cover all liveries of a specific addon.

- For addons with many custom functions, I use LINDA in conjunction with FSUIPC. Quite a few LINDA profiles have already been created, so I don't have to start from scratch; but I do have to assign buttons and such through it. It's very quick to do so though, so not a problem.

- For addons that use mostly default controls for the battery, generator, lights, etc, I use a program that runs in the background called SPAD. It's means that I don't have to use the silly Saitek software for the switch panel. However, when I'm energetic, or when I fly a plane that uses LVars for those functions, then I use LINDA to set up the switch panel, since LINDA can see it and assign controls to everything on the switch panel; it treats it like any other joystick.

It usually never takes me more than 15 minutes to get any particular aircraft setup with some sort of combination of FSUIPC and/or LINDA. I used to use FSUIPC for almost everything, but LINDA is very, very powerful stuff. It lets you muck about and script both FSX controls and LVars. I'd use LINDA for assigning everything, but it doesn't handle assigning things to an axis, plus it needs FSUIPC anyways.

For an example: Currently I've been flying the AS DA-20-100 4X Katana. When I first loaded it up, I opened FSUIPC and created a new profile for it, using the default assignments. Then I setup the various axis on my x55 through FSUIPC. Then, since that add-on is mostly built on custom LVar functions, I checked to make sure there was a LINDA profile for the Katana installed (there was, it came with the software). Through LINDA, I then set up switches on my switch panel for the mags, starter, lights, fuel pump, etc, as well as some switches on the x55 throttle for flaps and a few other things. Took maybe 10 - 15 minutes, and it works like a charm.

If one only ever uses a single set of controls, you could be very, very generic about the whole thing. Also, I do have some FSUIPC profiles setup for things like 'twin engine mil jet' or 'single engine GA', that lets me quickly assign a profile to something when I just want to get up and fly and just have the basics working.

Edit: I forgot - I have a couple of things that I leave assigned through FSX. Rudder pedals and toe brakes, since they never change. As well as the hat switch; FSX is much smoother at panning your view when it's assigned internally.
    Jim Stewart

I use FSUIPC and Linda in the way Jimmy explains. Have been assigning functions that way for years, and it works great for me.

I must admit that I do not have any Saitek products, but I remember reading that people use the SPAD drivefr for that instead of the Saitek software.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

ok what is LINDA ? and SPAD?..and where do i find them?...ok i understand from the above ,what each does...but my main thing is...where do i find em?...thanks Daver

ummm heres what i dont understand is how can you have three or four programs all doing differant things all at once?

I use SPAD for the three Saitek panels, it is an alternative for the Saitek interface (in combination with FSUIPC). Works pretty well.

http://fstools.weebly.com/

I have the same configuration for pretty much all of the aircraft. The only ones that are a bit more complex are those which model a pressureless hydraulic system (e.g. A2A P40, P47d....). You can't just drop gears and flaps here with one button or the lever on the Switch Panel / Autopilot panel.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Yip! SPAD is genius compared to Saitek's own for the panels. Also JimmyRFR is also the way to go. Very fiddly at first to get it going but once you get the hang of it is relatively simple(ish).
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Linda - Have a looksee here for explanations and generally this guys blog is very informative on other matters too

http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?cat=327
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Linda, is a program that let's you easily assign functions to buttons. And I use FSUIPC to set up the controls, like break/rudder/elevator etc.

It can be found here: http://fs-linda.com

Linda needs FSUIPC to work, so YES they do work all at the same time.

I created several general profiles, like"
    Single engine prop
    Dual engine prop
    four engine prop
    Joystick war
    Joystick GA
    two engine jet
    four engine jet

These work for most aircraft, and I use them as templates for more advanced aircraft, like the PMDG 737NGX.

yet another question...can the setups be shared in anyway?...i was thinking since such a newb to even FSUIPC,that if i saw some of you guys setups...it would help me to understand and then do my own.a part of living with my ADHD /ADD is that i can read something 100 times and it still wont sink in,or video..movies ,youtubes ,mainly instructional films ect..im just a big puddle of goo ,laying on the floor whimpering...what'd i just see..im sooooooo confused...i thought those days were over now that im an adult..then along comes flight simulators and with them FSUIPC..and im back to a big puddle of goo...............oh god i do prattle on dont i?.......

Daveroo,

If you mean with "can the setups be shared" whether you can share a profile in FSUIPC amongst aircraft, then YES. Once you have created one profile, like "dual engine prop" then you can add any aircraft and texture to that profile.

What you can NOT do, is get a profile from someone else and use it for your own sim, as the controllers will be assigned/labelled different.

I hope that answers your question.

yes it does..all of you guys have been very helpfull..since i have the FSX.SE still installed on this pc,im going to download linda and spad and look them over real good..so thanks to all whove helped me

You are very welcome.

This is what makes this community so special; the willingness to share knowledge/experience.

Sorry I wasn't able to pop back in sooner, I realized after the fact that I should of given links to the stuff I was describing.

Also, I'm not sure if I made it clear enough, but if you end up using Linda, it recognizes and lets you assign controls / commands to the Saitek panel, thereby removing the need for Spad. If you do go that route, absolutely do not use both Linda and Spad together, as there'll be conflicts.

Also, in ease of use, Spad ranks very high; it auto-detects and adds a profile for any aircraft you fly, and most everything just works, so long as the aircraft isn't full of custom programming. For example, with your average Alabeo or Carenado release, everything just works, right from installation, with no extra labour on your behalf. However stuff like the A2A planes, for example need minor or major configuring to get 100% functionality.

And yes, you can run Spad and FSUIC side by side. Or Linda and FSUIPC side by side (required, in fact).

Good luck!
    Jim Stewart

Members who have read this thread: 0