Is the mapping Gizmo the same size as the specified Mapping

Thread: Is the mapping Gizmo the same size as the specified Mapping

Is the mapping Gizmo the same size as the specified Mapping

One thing that I did not get when I built my first test model using Hairyspin's tutorial was that the final Poly Map had to be a square with a power of 2 on each side. This time I've entered dimension in the right-side spinner windows (64x64, 256x256 and 512x512 on three separate occasions) Each time, the Gizmo window is incredibly wide by very short. Something is wrong, but I'm not sure what.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kjoL5C.jpg  
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Was the object scale?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Was the object scale?
    It's the concrete footer for a brick wall; approx 2' x 60'. Scale in Gmax set to 1 unit=1 meter.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

I ment scaled using the scaling tool.

Attachment 21506

Something else you missed from Part 1 of the tutorial is to use Reset XForm on the object before mapping.

Your mapping size must be square, but it doesn't matter if it's 73 feet 4¼ inches square - the 'power of two' rule applies to the size of the texture bitmap only. 64x64 pixels, 1024x1024 pixels, etc
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Something else you missed from Part 1 of the tutorial is to use Reset XForm on the object before mapping.
    Ooooooh! ResetXForm? I missed that because it was written as a conditional. "First, collapse the stack IF a ResetXForm has been applied." Seeing as there was nothing in the stack (and a ResetXForm had NOT been applied), I thought nothing was required of me at that point and I went directly to Step#2. Thank you for setting me straight on that point.
    I ment scaled using the scaling tool.
    Allen: Yes, the Scale Tool was used. I originally had the scale set to 1unit = 1foot. That made the wall footer 60units long. When I exported my model, I got a warning that Gmax insists on meters, and, would I like to have the program make the conversion? I said 'Yes', and it did. But it simply made it 60 meters. The model was gigantic! So when I opened this wall model, I changed feet to meters in Preferences. 60' equals 18.29m and I used the Scale Tool to bring the model down to 18.25. Is that what you were asking? Is that the source of my problem?

Reset XForm will get rid of any scaling problem. In many cases a Reset Scale (Hierarchy panel) will do the same, but there are times when only Reset XForm can fix it. Sooner or later we run into this problem so I recommend the nuclear option.

You must get into the habit of setting the System Scale Unit (in Customize/Preferences) to 1 unit = 1 metre when starting a project or CFS3's exporter will give the warning you've noted, FSX's exporter will cough and FS9 doesn't like it either. With that set, you can then change the viewport units (in Customize/Units Setup...) to whatever suits you. You have the viewport units set to Generic Units where feet would have been more useful.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

If the Scale Tool set to "non-uniform" is used to on a object it will cause the mapping Gizmo to go wonky. As hairyspin said Scale reset is the first try than XForm reset if that dosen't fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If the Scale Tool set to "non-uniform" is used to on a object it will cause the mapping Gizmo to go wonky. As hairyspin said Scale reset is the first try than XForm reset if that dosen't fix things.
    At last! I figured out what you're trying to tell me. I've got it set to Uniform now. Thanks.

If you can set and use it in any mode but sure to reset the scale when you do texture mapping.

Well...I thought I had it. I'm starting to map the concrete footer of a brick wall. I set the Scale Tool to Uniform, and ran a ReSetXForm>Collapse All. I converted the object to Editable Poly, added a Poly SElect, selected Front polys, added UVW Mapping>Planar>Adjust View and set the Gizmo size to 20x20. Despite this, the Gizmo is 23x1. What went wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

I don't understand at all what you're doing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If you send me the bits of the model you're struggling with, I'll have a looksee. Email address is in a PM to you.
    Tom

For anyone having scaling problems, there is a way to check if scale is applied: see this thread for details. If resetting scale via the Hierarchy panel still leaves scaling in place, go to the Utilities panel in Gmax, select Reset XForm from the list and click on the Reset Selected button, then collapse the stack.

Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0