Checkernose P-38

Thread: Checkernose P-38

Checkernose P-38

The aircraft of Lt Sykes of the 94th FS/ 1st FG

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Jan Kees,

Forgive me my "Alzheimer", but this model isn't available yet, or is it?

Johan

Pretty sure our master painter has a beta copy and is doing some paints for it, reckon it is very close to being put out but.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

..but it's not available yet, patience my friends.
    And no, I have NO idea when it will be out, I'm only slapping paint on it and trying to wet your appetite...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ..but it's not available yet, patience my friends.
    And no, I have NO idea when it will be out, I'm only slapping paint on it and trying to wet your appetite...
    You're succeeding!! You lucky b******!

Who is the Milviz painter that did the base metal skins (and through the beta copy I've seen, a plethora of paint schemes!)? It has the same look about it as other MV products, like the F-86 and F-100 (in development).

Speaking of P-38 metal/paint finishes. At one time, Ezell Aviation, which restored the highly polished Redbull P-38, explained how the radiator fairings (and section of boom between the fairings), had to be panted with a special formulation of paint (silver), so as to provide a protective barrier against the heat being expelled out of those fairings. In photos of wartime production bare metal P-38's, you can see the difference between the bare metal of the rest of the aircraft and the silver paint of the radiator fairings.

There may be a new P-38 restoration taking flight by the end of this year, in the form of the combat-vet P-38F "White 33" being restored for Jim Slattery at Westpac Restorations. Already in an advanced-state, Westpac posted to Facebook last week that it will be making "major advancements" towards completion over the next two months: https://www.facebook.com/wwiiaviation?fref=ts&ref=br_tf This P-38F is even more complete to original wartime operational standard than "Glacier Girl", including fully functioning turbochargers, which at this time the only other flying P-38 with functioning turbochargers is "Ruff Stuff". There is also a combat-vet P-38J under restoration at Westpac for the Flying Heritage Collection. Following those two, Westpac has enough to restore 3 more P-38's to fly, already in-store. The restoration of the Texas Flying Legends P-38L is pending at Aircorps Aviation (this being the same airframe that Jeff Ethell was killed in). The former Classic Jets Fighter Museum static-restored P-38H "Scarlet Scourge" was sold to an English collector last year, and the aircraft is now in England, reported to be under a complete rebuild to flying condition. HARS in Australia are currently restoring one P-38 to static, for the Papua New Guinea National Museum, another P-38 to flying condition, to be operated by HARS, and one more project to be restored to flying condition pending a buyer (which has been advertised through Classic Aircraft Sales - sated to be "a significant combat veteran").

Ah, John, it wasn't just the radiators, in fact most of the engine compartment was painted, as were the doors that gave access to the guns in the nose, and a few other bits and pieces. The front half of the wings was filled, sanded and painted as well, similar to what they did with the Mustang to achieve laminar flow. I've tried to do that to the wings as well, somehow it didn't work out as well on the radiators, still working on that.
    As for the creator of the base textures and the paints already done by Milviz, I do not know who did those, but the amount of detail is fantastic. Just to compare, the old FSD P-38 used two textures files, this one 11! As a consequence, it is a bit hard on the old system though..
    a few detail shots:

The textures are similar indeed to the F-86, in that they look really very good as bare metal, but camouflage is another matter, far too shiny. But I believe they are looking at that.
    Me, I just received the paintkit with an early installer and was allowed to post screenshots... to tease you a bit..

I friend of stopped by with his grandson in the weekend, Jacob is only 10, Gary brought him around a while back and every since then in now an avid flightsimer course showing him my artwork, young Jacob WOW'd at the P-38 drawing, turns out to be his favourite aircraft, I then showed him your paints, it was a Double Whammy.

Before leaving young Jacob scored a couple off drawings to hang on his wall , Granddad Gary said he will get them framed , but I'm guessing this P-38 is on his birthday list.

Might it have been Matt (Jeansy) who did the base textures for the F86? He has a direct link to MilViz from his website.. http://jeansy1975.wix.com/wombats . I recently took a look at the PK he did for the MV/ND Chinook. Complex doesn't come close to describing it!!

ATB
    DaveB

Hi,

All recent aircraft, including the Chinook, were base paints of Dmi and his wonder team.

Many by thanks to him and them for their hard and amazing work.

Kat.

Aluminum Skin Tests

This is what I've been working on. These are just tests. It's not even WIP. All it represents are tests I've been doing with Alpha and specular to achieve a realistic Aluminum metal texture, while preserving the dirt and colored parts as dull as possible. Note the scratched paint with metal underneath on the Left nose panel (ride side of picture) vs the Right nose panel which is the original texture. Left side only right now as tests continue.

And again, left boom only. right side is original textures. Obviously, there's a little too much reflection but, these again are tests to see how much has what kind of effect in sim.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I should clarify...not more realistic metal, since the paints are amazing as is. Trying to achieve a metallic look where the alpha/spec control the "Aluminum" vs the painted color. Without the extreme awesome job of the original paint I'd be up the creek!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

The metal look and the bump maps are mind boggling!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Hi,

We have found the reason why the shine is not adjustable. We had put the specular map into the Specular Level slot and not the Specular Color slot.

The next build will have the fix.

Thank you to John Terrell for his assistance!

Kat.

Aaaah, John, the true master!
    Where would we be without him? Thank you!
    But now quickly back to that P-39, I have a few brushes ready for that one too!

The paints and textures are stunning. But really, no clue as to the release date?

Looks great Rick, this is also the Milviz P38 ?

Blog Entries
    A while back I had done an extensive set of re-worked bump and spec maps for the Milviz P38 Redbull Redux. The mods were designed to re-produce the flush rivets and stressed aluminum panels found on the P-38 on a low and high polish restored representation of the aircraft and specifically match the level of polish on the actual Red Bull aircraft. The Red Bull skin also has the modified Logo.

Anyone who is interested in having the flush rivet bump maps and tweaked spec files for their existing MV Redux version can download the skins on SOH here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ng-L-Blank-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...lviz-Redux-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...lviz-Redux-zip

I hadn't done a factory skin, as the race version was fundamentally a restored version of the aircraft.
    I'll be looking forward to the release of the new model and paint kit.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 2