I'm a wuss

Thread: I'm a wuss

I'm a wuss

Decided to take a walk thru Dave and Busters restaurant (sports bar and arcade joint) to see what sort of new games the kids and big kids were playing these days. As I loooked about I saw a fighter flying game with the 180 display. Boy o boy did my heart beat go up as I thought of the possibilities with fsx. Nice and compact and would fit in garage nicely with the screen that will bring you into the flight sim world. So climbed into this machine and watched the demo and just thought WOW! 30 seconds later I was searching for the throw up bag and parachute. My brain did not like that one bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

As real as it gets!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

My original CFI put me under the hood around my 3rf or 4th flight hour and have me read the instruments as he did commercial maneuvers (just to see how I'd hack usual attitudes & mild G pulls). At first I made it almost through before feeling a bit queasy. On my very next flight I wanted to do it again and that time I was fine and he even allowed me to navigate back to the field under the hood/head down which I did fine for the 30nm. Later in aerobatic runs in a Decathlon and Pitts S2B, again the hit of the G forces and gyrations were not easy to digest but soon enough I built up a good tolerance to it. I remember hearing Bob Hoover speak about haw badly he became airsick on his early flights in a biplane (before his Military caree) which nearly discouraged him from continuing training. The advice I've always been given is to do as much as possible to prepare both mentally and physically for such maneuvers then SLOWLY work up on them. As long as it has been for me, I'd probably not fare too well with aerobatics now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also, I suspect staring at a big curvy computer screen would tend to make you sick quicker than looking out from the cockpit of a real plane. Too many sensory cues that don't "make sense" to the brain. Sort of like that Occulus thing that makes everyone sick...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

A refresh rate that your brain does not agree with might have caused you to get ill as well.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I also have to agree with PRB, I have myself experienced spatial disorientation using certain graphics systems with both screens and legacy VR. I've heard tell that even experienced aerobatic & military pilots have gotten queasy is certain motion/visual simulators. I know a former USAF F-4 WSO who once told me he had a very rough time with air sickness during his training in the F-4C/D. He overcame it but he said from time to time he would feel on the edge of getting ill when he flew again after an extended amount of time between on and off flight status.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have similar experiences with First Person Shooter games. I cant play them. The rapid eye movement and motion effects upset my inner ear and make me violently ill. Had a similar experience using a fresnel lens on an FS game some years ago. Interestingly I dont have these problems in real life when my body and ear are doing the same thing. These some sims/games though, fool my brain and it makes me motion sick.

Curiouse if Dramamine would help out with this. As a kid I got car sick and when out in the ocean fishing looking down to set up my rig I can quickly get motion sickness but never purge. Still love the 180 display and know that these will probably be common in our households someday. Perhaps after slipping a cockpit in front of the screen and just being able to see out the windows will help out as well. Looking forward to the future.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I have similar experiences with First Person Shooter games. I cant play them. The rapid eye movement and motion effects upset my inner ear and make me violently ill. Had a similar experience using a fresnel lens on an FS game some years ago. Interestingly I dont have these problems in real life when my body and ear are doing the same thing. These some sims/games though, fool my brain and it makes me motion sick.
    Hmm, I thought I was the only one....... been motion sickness prone all my life. In a car, heck even at the playground on those whirly things. And any kind of first person shooter, well; no way, no how.
    Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Back in the 70s right after Disneyworld opened in Orlando, we went there as part of a high school trip. My parents were part of the adult group that went and Disney had a 360 degree theater
    that had rows of waist-high bars instead of chairs. Once you were in place, they started the movie which was a series of clips of flying, riding on a fire truck down that curvy street in San
    Francisco etc.

I soon found out what the bars were for...hanging on and keeping your stance. Even tho you weren't moving, you felt as if every turn and bank were real. It was about a 15 minute event and
    I saw my Dad having to brace against the wall as he walked out; all the while having stood still and hung on to the bars. It took me a few minutes to get my balance back as well.

Don't know if they still have that part of the park in place, but it was fun.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    Curiouse if Dramamine would help out with this. As a kid I got car sick and when out in the ocean fishing looking down to set up my rig I can quickly get motion sickness but never purge. Still love the 180 display and know that these will probably be common in our households someday. Perhaps after slipping a cockpit in front of the screen and just being able to see out the windows will help out as well. Looking forward to the future.

Jim
    I have a good friend that we would hook-up with when the original DOOM FPS came out and group play via modem. He got motion sickness while playing and Dramamine would help but after awhile
    he would have to leave us to our own fate as he couldn't take any more. Fun days and even longer nights into the early AM playing. Shutdown in time to get a couple of hours sleep before heading
    off to work!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Motion sickness is motion sickness. When I was on active duty with the Navy, if I hadn't been out to sea in a few weeks, the first couple of days could get rough on me. After that I was fine until I'd been on shore for a while.

And I've seen guys that stay sick the whole trip.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 1