The RNoAF in FS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RNoAF in FS

The RNoAF in FS

Many of us are bringing forward our national military aviation history in FS and I thought it might be a good idea to share some of my Norwegian repaints in a single thread.

I’ll start out with my latest work, Canadair produced MAP F-104G “FN-G” of 331 Skv, Bodø AB, as it looked in 1970. Of particular interest is that this aircraft is among a batch produced by Canadair for Lockheed and their MAP contract (not to be confused with the Canadair CF-104). It differed by the light grey paint scheme which covered all of the fuselage beside the engine compartment. The Lockheed produced Starfighters were delivered in a bare metal scheme.
    Of interest is also the sqn badge under the canopy which is the squadrons ww2 RAF sqn badge. There is also a difference between the national roundel as seen on the intake and wings in dimensions.

(For the users of the default 331 Skv paint in the SSW F-104G take notice that the national decals are not very accurate.)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Next out is the Canadair CF-104 “836” of 334 Skv, Bodø AB as it looked in the late 70’s/early 80’s. The CF’s were used for anti-shipping and air to ground work as compared to the F-104G of 331 Skv.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The F-86F Sabres;

MU-R from 338 Sqn

"AR" of Group commander Lt.Col Arne Riegels, Rygge AB

PX-C of 336 Sqn, Rygge AB

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Grumman HU-16B Albatross of 330 Sqn

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

P-3N of 333 Skv, Andøya AB

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

WOW! Lovely shots Jens-Ole!!

Top shelf stuff! Thanks for the images.

Awesome work!
    had a chuckle at the F-104's code, FN-G
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Were the topsides of the wings really white? This is same with the USAF version...

Thanks for the kind words :-)

Yes, the standard f-104 scheme had white wings. Bellow you can see some pics:

http://starfighter.no/web/f-104g/g/p...%20Norway.html

http://starfighter.no/web/rf-104g/h/...FN-H%20w..html

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Interesting, why would that be? Less drag with paint or what?

In the Squadron Signal publication "Starfighter in action" it is mentionned that the white coating of the wings of unpainted F-104's was there to alleviate sun glare and heating problems.

Later in the operational life of the Zipper, it was found out that this wasn't really necessary.

Johan

I thought it had something to do with heat, as white paint has been used for that purpose on military aircraft before. Thanks for the info.

In Norway as well they painted the wings in the same colour as the fuselage starting in the mid 70's.
    785 (former FN-G) as I'm also painting is in a middle scheme from approx. 1973 still with white wings and wing roundels in 4 positions, but without the sqn codes and tail flash.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

A few more Starfighters

And a FB.52 Vampire of 337 Skv

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

RF-104G "625", former FN-K as it looked in 1974. Note, all the RF's were configured as fighters in Norwegian service. Sadly this aircraft crashed in 1974, the pilot ejected, but was killed as the seat did not separate. T
    The sqn codes were removed in 1972 together with most other sqn art, but it has kept the lightning on the tanks and the cartoon on the right nose. You can also make out the area on the tail which before were painted with the 331 sqn chevron.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The F-104G package has been uploaded, enjoy!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

You are an inspiration, Jens-Ole.

Love your repaints.

- JP
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Thx a lot for your contribution!!!

Really love all your Norwegian AF repaints, is there any scenery you'd recommend to fly these from, Maybe i haven't looked hard enough but Norway dose'nt seem well served for good Air Base scenery in FSX.

cheers ian

Thank you for the very kind comments :-)

Actually Norway is probably the country which is best covered with add on sceneries in the FS universe. We have almost a 100% coverage of every single airfield, big or small, civilian or military with high detail addon sceneries! Combined with ORBX you have a very detailed virtual Norway!

Take a look here: (Most or dual FSX/P3D, but also the P3D specific sceneries works in FSX. the designer does just not support the old legacy sim anymore)
    http://www.flightsimnorway.com/index.php

The page takes some time to understand but it will give you every airfield in Norway and ALL of the air bases. Bodø which was the home of the Starfighters is very well covered.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The F-104G lineup in the package:

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Thanks Jens for the link, everything i could possably want, got so great flying planned for this weekend,

cheers ian

Blog Entries
    Bravo Jens!

I'm guessing #17785 was reserved for the most recent pilot to join the squadron ...

I keep being tempted to take the SSW '104 plunge ... the temptation continues.

Love the Sabres - love your work.

dl

Members who have read this thread: 0