Steam is on sale again for $5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam is on sale again for $5

Steam is on sale again for $5

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this. I figured it would just be for stray newbies.

I bought it at the very first release sale, I wanted a digital copy of FSX.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Thanks for the heads up Pete!

I figured for £3.99 it'd be worth installing on my older desktop PC and taking a look

Okay I'm thick! How do I just download and not install
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    i think you may have to do a full install..then uninstall parts of it..not sure...there is a Que that i believe you can have it there until you are ready for it..not sure though

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    You can't; Steam starts downloading when you install the game.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this.
    Updates. Not the "I want 64bit so I can finally install even more useless high definition junk!" level of updates, but the "My presently installed level of high definition junk doesn't make FSX crash that often anymore!" level. Plus fixes for some other crashes.

Pete Dowson is a huge fan of FSXSE, by the way and that should tell you something...

Not possible. Downloading also means installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this. I figured it would just be for stray newbies.

for me personally,i have an older PC and its not even made for simming..once i got FSX ready on it...i got those dreeded OOMs all the time..or it just wouldnt load on start up..ect..on and on....

i got the FSX.SE version and i can actually fly planes i never could even get to work before...i dont know if some files remain on their servers,i dont think you can even play it offline,though i did somewhere were it says offline flight has been fixed..

I notice that there a number of Steam edition addons, for sale. Does this mean that my collection of addons won't 100% work with the Steam Edition? What's the difference between a normal addon and a SE variant?
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    I notice that there a number of Steam edition addons, for sale. Does this mean that my collection of addons won't 100% work with the Steam Edition? What's the difference between a normal addon and a SE variant?
    Am not completely certain, but I believe that MOST FSX addons will work with SE. There are some that do not, i.e. some sceneries), but believe the makers of such incompatible addons are working to fix that. NC

As for why I have Steam FSX? For me, it works much smoother and faster. That's enough reasons for me. I am not alone in my assessment, either. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    As for why I have Steam FSX? For me, it works much smoother and faster. That's enough reasons for me. I am not alone in my assessment, either. NC
    I guess I'll have to investigate. As long as my Orbx sceneries work with it then I'll probably go ahead and make a purchase.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    I guess I'll have to investigate. As long as my Orbx sceneries work with it then I'll probably go ahead and make a purchase.
    ORBX has a useful forum dedicated to FsX SE.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

you can purchase and not download it - it just goes into your Steam library as owned but not installed.

I bought it at the first go round because I wanted to see what the new group was going to do with it...
    I have the discs installed on my PC and installed the SE on my laptop so I could mess with it - see how it performs, add some scenery and aircraft.

I know my disc media wont last forever...so I bought the SE,
    I know the developers plan to tweak it and try to make it better
    I know current 3rd party developers are continuing to add new content and most have already made adjustments for the SE
    It seems to me that 5.00 is a very cheap insurance policy if nothing else - but its much more than that.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

just got a copy of it
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

I'll be getting it...... after my major upgrade tomorrow .... provided Purolater can deliver as promised and as long as the components all work fine ... fingers crossed.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I think this is a good opportunity for me to get the Steam edition. Dovetail games did make a number of changes to the FSX engine code to improve performance. From the videos that I have seen, textures seem to load a little faster, sim play seems a little smoother and the dreaded OOM error is greatly reduced. The downside has been that you must be on the internet to fly the FSX Steam Edition (soon to be fixed) and some add-ons are not compatible. As the Steam Edition has become more popular, most add-on developers have made their products Steam compatible. No, it's not a 64-bit version of FSX, but neither is Prepar3D, but the Steam Edition is a lot less expensive than P3D and does not require DX11.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I'm tempted to get it - one nagging worry though: would it interfere in any way with my existing installation of FSX?
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Question for the Steam users: Can I install FSX:SE on more than one machine or is my purchase for a single machine?

I'd like to test drive a dual FSX:MS and FSX:SE install on another machine and get the hang of the dual install/shared folders (a la Doug Dowson's installation) before I put my gaming machine at risk.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Dovetail is just trying to milk it for every penny they can before they release their next flight simulator. Microsoft Flight II.

FSX is on it's last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    I'm tempted to get it - one nagging worry though: would it interfere in any way with my existing installation of FSX?
    Yes, installing the Steam version of FSX will steal your existing FSX registry key. After that, installing FSX add-ons will default to the Steam version whenever an add-on installer uses the registry key to locate where the add-on should be installed. The alternative is to use one of the FSX registry fix tools to move the key back to the non-Steam version. Another alternative is to install an add-on to a temporary folder and move the files manually to whichever FSX installation you prefer.

This Steam version of FSX is not really intended for users who already have FSX installed - it's meant to open up a new group of users who've never had FSX before. Having said that, it does contain a small number of fixes which some existing users have found to be of benefit, but given the license conditions between DTG and M$, there are unlikely to be any further fixes or updates to the FSX code within this Steam version. And, to be clear, this Steam version of FSX is actually a (slight) variation on FSX with the Acceleration update.

People considering the steam edition should watch this first:

Yes, the "compatibility" with addons is not perfect. YET.
    That's the thing: FSX is dead, and FSX Steam is alive. These compatibility issues are temporary.

People should get FSX Steam while it's sold at 5$, or not get it at all. There's no need to wonder at that price. Plus, nobody forces you to install it, especially if your normal FSX is still working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Question for the Steam users: Can I install FSX:SE on more than one machine or is my purchase for a single machine?

I'd like to test drive a dual FSX:MS and FSX:SE install on another machine and get the hang of the dual install/shared folders (a la Doug Dowson's installation) before I put my gaming machine at risk.
    you can install FSX onto any machine that has Steam access - log into your Steam account - go to your Library - and install FSX - no limits
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Yes, the "compatibility" with addons is not perfect. YET.
    That's the thing: FSX is dead, and FSX Steam is alive. These compatibility issues are temporary.

People should get FSX Steam while it's sold at 5$, or not get it at all. There's no need to wonder at that price. Plus, nobody forces you to install it, especially if your normal FSX is still working fine.
    ^^this is what I did - then I installed it on my laptop...to test^^
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 0