Converting Xplane objects to use with FSX?

Thread: Converting Xplane objects to use with FSX?

Converting Xplane objects to use with FSX?

I just did a quick internet search about this, and apparently it is possible to convert Xplane scenery objects for use in FSX?

The reason I wanted to ask this, is there is a nice 3D Xplane scenery object library file on Flightsim.com today. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I just did a quick internet search about this, and apparently it is possible to convert Xplane scenery objects for use in FSX?

The reason I wanted to ask this, is there is a nice 3D Xplane scenery object library file on Flightsim.com today. NC
    Nice find NC and yes it's possible to convert X Plane .OBJ files to .MDL FSX files using Model Convertor X [respecting the original usage license of course]... I'm a great fan of not re-inventing the wheel and the 3D People Library [I guess you're referring to] looked nice so I downloaded and checked out one of the models.

If you're familiar with using Model Convertor X and compiling FSX .MDL files to .bgl and placing the object then you're good to go. In fact, M.C.X. has a 'Place and Convert Object Wizard' built in.

Also, the appropriate .DDS Texture must be 'flipped' vertically for it to show up correctly in FSX.

The only drawback will be that placing many of these 3D People could have an impact on performance.

Dave.

Thanks for your reply Dave. And there's another 3D object library on Flightsim.com today! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks for your reply Dave. And there's another 3D object library on Flightsim.com today! NC
    Looking at the object names, much of it appears to be the same as a previous library I downloaded after reading your original post Pete. Oddly, I can't located the group I downloaded. Wonder if this is an enhanced version or maybe he's added more to the original group? Anyway, I've converted what I had (60 objects) for use in P3D, however I'm trying to find a way to contact the author as the readme says that basically nothing can be done with these without his permission. . .and of course he doesn't give you any way to contact him. Still looking into it.

David Marshall. . .no contact info in anything he's done with X-Plane. Maybe that fact is his way of saying you can't use anything I've produced. It is like some other things folk use for their personal use. As long as it isn't uploaded for public use there's probably no problem with it. That works for me since I don't release my sceneries anyway.

FYI: One also might not wish to confuse David K. Marshall (aka "DKM") the more recent X-Plane scenery maker

...with:

David Marshall (aka "OPA" / "OPAPLANO"); renowned & much-liked long-term member of the MSFS community (RIP).

GaryGB

Quote Originally Posted by GaryGB View Post
    FYI: One also might not wish to confuse David K. Marshall (aka "DKM") the more recent X-Plane scenery maker

...with:

David Marshall (aka "OPA" / "OPAPLANO"); renowned & much-liked long-term member of the MSFS community (RIP).

GaryGB
    Correct. I knew that "Opa" had passed away so it was a shock at first to see that name again on something recent, lol.

Yet another update is available. Just saw version 2.8 listed on Flightsim.com NC

And another interesting looking addon, along the same lines:
    <center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 12.7919998168945px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">X-Plane - X-Plane Scenery Libraries</center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 12.7919998168945px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">X-Plane Scenery--The Handy Objects Library 3.2
    </center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 12.7919998168945px; background-color: rgb(239, 239, 239);">[ Download | View ]</center>
    Name: the_handy_objects_library.zip
    Size: 87,309,048 Date: 04-23-2015 Downloads: 36

X-Plane Scenery--The Handy Objects Library 3.2. The Handy Object Library holds all the various objects the author has created with SketchUp over recent months. This is not just all the files lumped into one folder, it is a library with the relevant text file and should be used in that manner. Hopefully it makes life easier for anyone wishing to use any of these objects. To install, download the file, unzip the folder and place directly into your Custom Scenery folder. You can then use WED or Overlay Editor to view and place the various objects in your scenery as you require. Just remember to reference it if you export to the community so that others know you have used it and they need to also download it. More new objects added in 3.2. By Stuart McGregor.

Another in a series of updates on Flightsim.com....

<center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">X-Plane - X-Plane Scenery Libraries</center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">X-Plane Scenery--3D People Library 3.5
    </center><center style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); line-height: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">[ Download | View ]</center>
    Name: 3d_people_library.zip
    Size: 67,541,210 Date: 06-26-2015 Downloads: 15

X-Plane Scenery--3D People Library 3.5. A collection of over 300 3D low polygon people to bring your scenery to life. Unzip and place in your Custom Scenery folder. The "3D_people_library" should then appear in either WED or Overlay Editor with a list of 314 selectable figures. Version 3.5 adds more figures. Full list of changes included in the download. By David Marshall.

Found this thread via google - I'm trying to convert (for private use) some Xplane scenery objects to P3Dv1 - I've managed to get the objects to work using Model Converter X, and have succesfully placed them using ADE. BUT .... the textures don't show - I've converted the Xplane .PNG files to .DDS but nothing shows - any ideas ?

Thanks

I don't use ADE for object placement, It may not have anything to do with the file type (although png probably wouldn't display so dds is fine) but is it possible that the textures aren't being found by ADE? Is the path to the textures correct?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Textures Invisible

From my limited ADEx experience I know that the textures have to be in the airport texture folder as the bgl(s) have to be in the scenery folder for the objects that you have placed in your airport. Learned this with NAS Alameda which me and the team created and shared here and an airport that I just created for MY personal use.

Icon26

All - thanks for your thoughts - the textures were in the correct folder - just managed to get them to show by saving as BMP then renaming the file extension as PNG and saying "yes" to the warning message that was generated when I tried to save ! Can't explain but seems to work ...

Members who have read this thread: 1