Still having problems with spawns

Thread: Still having problems with spawns

Still having problems with spawns

Hi all,

I'm having a major problem with spawns.

Whenever I go to set up a spawning formation to take-off when I'm trying to simulate an airfield attack, the spawn files don't work.

Is there a way to guarantee that these files in question will spawn?

Getting them to spawn properly is the biggest thing slowing down BoB right now. I've looked at examples and tried formatting spawn files like those, but they still don't work.

Thanks,

Chris
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

Back in the day, I created a bunch of BoB missions and had similar problems with spawns. My solution was to use carefully timed way points for enemy aircraft flights rather than using spawns at all. It seemed to have a better effect anyway as the enemies never seemed to just "appear" but were steadily inbound as if their strike was already underway.

Spawns were always a pain for me so I shied away from using them whenever possible. IIRC 01_Driver had a very firm grasp on the inner workings of the spawn files.

HTH
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Good to hear from you again, Justin!

I've tried that, but unfortunately, I need RAF planes taking off for the full effect.

I know there's a way to make those spawn files work. I'm almost positive someone around here has done it before.

In fact, if I remember correctly, within ETO 1.40 and 1.50 there's several take-off spawns within missions.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by grover1 View Post
    In fact, if I remember correctly, within ETO 1.40 and 1.50 there's several take-off spawns within missions.
    Yes and I've built some of them, it took me ages to make them work. The spawn file has to be placed at the exact location of the airfiel, you have to pick up the coordinates in the global_layer.csv.

Have a look for mission file LBS_Bodenplatte_45-01-01.xml in era 5.

Spawn file is LBS_SpitIX_takeoff_4.spawns and in the mission file, it is placed on airbase Melsbroek (brus24) exact coordinates (cop-paste from global layer file).

Hope this helps, feel free to use & modifiy these spawn files at your convenience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Yea, spawns are a pain..
    I have learned placement is all important on using them.
    Master Led has a ability to get them working.
    Placing the take off spawns exactly on the airfield is a MUST.
    Just placing any spawn in a general area will not work every-time.
    I rarely use them, in ETO 1.50 I used several with success, but still I made many more missions without them then with them.

Hi Owen and Loic,

I tried what you suggested and again, no luck.

Now, how do I position the facility file directly?

Can I go right into the mission xml file and edit the positioning of the facility file that way?

Would it be okay if either one of you take a look at the spawn and mission files under question?

Perhaps you two can shed some light on it.

Thanks,

Chris

PS: Would either of you be interested in testing more missions for me? I haven't had much time to work on BoB due to school keeping me busy.

SOH-CM-2020

Facility file

Hi Grover1,

In the past I've had all my airbases spawning aircraft, in fact it became a bit of a pain. I think Charlie first developed the approach of specifying spawns in the airbase facility. It might work for your mission, especially if you rename an airbase facility as a unique one and put it in the global layer. More recently there was a thread about taxiing aircraft at an airbase (PatPattle's work). In the thread there was discussion about triggering air spawns from within the airbase facility file. There was some difficulty getting the spawns to trigger reliably.

Here is an example of the first line in an airbase facility file: Facility Type="Airbase" Flags="isAirbase" OuterDistance="6000" Spawns="qc_air.spawns"

This example is from the JustFlight BoB addon which IIRC Charlie had a fair bit to do with.

There are a set of spawns floating about called AirTrafic (with one "f"), consisting of a spawn table file and four AirTrafic xml spawn files.

The airbase facility could thus have Spawns="AirTrafic.spawns" and suitable modified spawn xml file/s to suit. Or you could refer to one of Loic's spawn table files in your facility file.

PM me if you need the set of AirTrafic spawns to look at.

Looks like it will be a fiddly task

Hi all,

I've tried all the suggestions listed here. Again, with no success.

What I'm thinking of doing is modifying take-off spawns already included in ETO 1.50 for BoB.

Is that a good option? I don't want to risk breaking any other missions just so I can get mine to work properly.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi all,

I've tried all the suggestions listed here. Again, with no success.

What I'm thinking of doing is modifying take-off spawns already included in ETO 1.50 for BoB.

Is that a good option? I don't want to risk breaking any other missions just so I can get mine to work properly.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Now, how do I position the facility file directly?

Can I go right into the mission xml file and edit the positioning of the facility file that way?
    Yes, this is how I do, I don't think there is any other option. Copy the airfield coordinates from the global_layer.csv file and copy them into the mission file.

Don't change anything to the existing spawns, ther may be some wrong effect in several missions. If you want to use an existing spawn script, creat a new file, copy-paste the script into it and then, you can modify it as you wish wtihout effect on any existing mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

copy of text from Bob

I have developed a number of take-off spawns for the Solomons. Check the absolute box and then use the global layer coordinates of the airbase for the takeoff waypoint. format is i.e. S4*10'3.2345 E155*30'10.0000. PM me with e-mail address if you want an example. I can do one for you if you let me know airbase, aircraft, what altitude and mission directive for the ac.

Landing spawns have been another story. Just haven't been able to get them to work right.

I don't know where I got them from, but that is the name of the spwawns file.
    For landing spawns, if you modify the distance at which AI make their landing approach to the runway (in the obejcts xml file eg. runway 1400), then they will approach the runway more quickly. Stock runways have the Ai going way out to 8000m or something.
    However if you modify the object xml for the runway don't reduce it below 5000 - I've seen the AI get way too close and tangled up if they all turn at 4500 and make a dash for the runway - its very funny but not so good for their survival

James and Ronny

I have found a work around for the landing spawns or a trick. I used a two waypoint spawn. The first waypoint uses absolute coordinates and is at a location in direct line with the airport a few clicks out. The ai is at 500ft and normal airspeed. The 2nd absolute waypoint is the landing waypoint with the airfield coordinates from the global layer.

I then place the mission target file about 14 NM miles out from the airfield. The mission target file then triggers the spawn when you are still 14 miles out from the airfield so that the ai can do their thing and circle and get set up for a in line landing. This way you can intercept the ai as they begin their approach to the airfield.

Let me know if you want the spawns and mission file for Grimbergen so you can see if it is applicable to what you want to do.

cheers
    bob

Also found this

Build your Hurricane fomation into a mission file with takeoff and waypoints,
    save file, open, copy and past the hurricane formation and waypoints into a spawn file, remove references to ID's (waypoint ID, Formation ID.
    Place your new spawn file into your actual mission using the usual mission_target_facility stuff.
    Sample attached

Quote(xml)

<AirFormation Directive="sweep" Country="Britain" Skill="1" FormType="fingertip">
    <Unit Type="dr_p_40b_675_gav" Repeat="8" Skill="3"/>
    <Route>
    <Waypoint Type="takeoff" Speed="0" IsWarpable="n" IsVisible="n" Lat="N29*56'45.0000&quot;" Lon="E21*49'59.9998&quot;" Alt="0.00"/>
    <Waypoint Type="intercept" Speed="113.692222222222" IsWarpable="y" IsVisible="n" Lat="N29*55'26.2137&quot;" Lon="E21*15'45.9479&quot;" Alt="4571.99"/>
    <Waypoint Type="landing" Speed="113.692222222222" IsWarpable="n" IsVisible="n" Lat="N29*56'45.0000&quot;" Lon="E21*49'59.9998&quot;" Alt="4571.99"/>
    </Route>
    </AirFormation>

END

and if by any chance you have MAW and downloaded this you might get ideas

AW Take Off Spawns By Wulfmann

Instalation!
    Open
    My Computer
    C-Drive
    Program Files
    Microsoft Games
    CFS3 Mediterranean Air War

Drop the spawn folder into the main directory and they will go into the spawns folder.

DRM and DR Spawns

DRM (Desert Rats Multiplayer) spawns can be used for single or multiplayer missions
    but are named “M” to insure planes are named and will not cause MP problems.
    DR spawns are not named but use types to randomize selection creating more variation
    but may spawn an aircraft not compatible for MP.

Spawns are coded to easily identify the type of spawn

TO=Take off

E=Enemy
    B=British
    G=German
    GR= Greek
    I=Italian

The next series of letters
    B=Bomber
    F=Fighter
    followed by the number of each

Then the location

If a number follows the location that is the fraction of possibility to spawn
    2= ½
    4= ¼ of the time the spawn will activate
    No number at the end means 100%

Place these spawns in a mission target facility.
    I use the 6KM one.
    It will activate the distance from player to the spawn facility not the base.
    It is best to place the facility file behind the base so the planes are on the runway when you arrive.
    But, play with this and test to see what works best for your situation.
    If placing a second CAP or intercept enemy spawn it is best to put the second mission facility about
    one mile behind the TO spawn.

Please do not alter these spawns. By downloading and using these spawns you agree not to alter them.

These are freeware and can not be uploaded to another site without written permission
    from Bob Ruff

contact bob.ruff@gmail.com.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

I managed to get them working. Finally! Just took lots of trial and error and lots of help from everyone here! Just working on landing and spawns that show up mid-air

Great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Members who have read this thread: 0