Virtavia C-17A Globemaster III FSX Steam Edition

Thread: Virtavia C-17A Globemaster III FSX Steam Edition

Virtavia C-17A Globemaster III FSX Steam Edition

I wonder if this is not only compatible for steam fsx version but also offers improvements from the previous one,

http://www.fspilotshop.com/virtavia-...ge-p-5440.html
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Saw that Virtavia released a lot of "FSX STEAM ONLY" addons in simmarket last week. What caught my attention was the fact that they released for example, a plane + a DLC to that plane. Generally the DLC contains other models and paints. As a previous owner of some of them, i saw that the previous releases (Witch, by the way, works in FSX SE too) had the plane+dlc in just one package. And it was cheaper too. So, what about this DLC thing? I can only see a strategy to get more $$$ with this, nothing more. I said this before in here, the addon market is becoming a little greedy in my opinion.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Yes I think the whole idea is to get the most of this FSX SE momentum while we get the big picture of what DLC means. They just added Skyhawk A-4E too with the same offering.
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Might this be the meaning of DLC?

Downloadable content (DLC) is additional content created for a released product
    It is distributed through the Internet by the official publisher.

New description of a "Livery Pack"???
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Could someone expain why an FSX-stream aircraft add-on would be different from a regular FSX add-on aircraft, should'nt regular FSX aircraft work in stream "out of the box", just wondering what ive missed.

cheers ian

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Could someone expain why an FSX-stream aircraft add-on would be different from a regular FSX add-on aircraft, should'nt regular FSX aircraft work in stream "out of the box", just wondering what ive missed.

cheers ian
    Essentially it's not. The only difference would be in the installer. If you have the MSFSX ver. It will work in SE just have to re-direct the installer. All Team SDB scenery works in FSX-SE no problem.
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Saw that Virtavia released a lot of "FSX STEAM ONLY" addons in simmarket last week. What caught my attention was the fact that they released for example, a plane + a DLC to that plane. Generally the DLC contains other models and paints. As a previous owner of some of them, i saw that the previous releases (Witch, by the way, works in FSX SE too) had the plane+dlc in just one package. And it was cheaper too. So, what about this DLC thing? I can only see a strategy to get more $$$ with this, nothing more. I said this before in here, the addon market is becoming a little greedy in my opinion.
    DLC.......makes me less likely to want buy a product. MS Flight comes to mind.....

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

DLC is an option - not a requirement.. you can still locate and install free paints and other addons just as with the non-Steam version. You just have to know how as most veteran FSX'ers do

DLC is for those who are unfamiliar with the files and how they work - DLC is for Steamers who FSX not FSX'ers who Steam...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

" Steamers who FSX not FSX'ers who Steam.."

I like that quote

Still seems very strange to me. With a simple search in a webstore:

The old package (the first listed) works perfectly in FSX-SE and has the dlc models. With other planes this happens too. So what´s the deal aside more $$$?
    I´m failing to see where this pricing strategy works. Maybe the dev can enlight us about this.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

The old package (the first listed) works perfectly in FSX-SE and has the dlc models. With other planes this happens too. So what´s the deal aside more $$$? I´m failing to see where this pricing strategy works. Maybe the dev can enlight us about this.
    Don't hold your breathe waiting for an answer. But maybe this will help?

There's really nothing to figure out. It is a new way to sell the product for a new platform (FSX-SE) and audience (Steam). If you know anything about Steam then you know that DLC or DownLoadable Content is how the most successful products are sold. Train Simulator is probably the best example. There are over 220 DLC items at a total cost of around $4700 that can be added to the core game. And rarely do folks stay with the basic game components. There are always new add-ons to be purchased. It's not that different from how we normally add to our own collections of payware aircraft and scenery. It is just delivered and installed by the Steam servers instead of downloading an installer file. There are many third party payware and freeware developers as well so Steam isn't the only source.

What you need to realize though is that the Steam version of FSX is being used by a whole new target audience who are not used to what we have all known for the past 30+ years (25 years for me starting with FS4). They are used to purchasing add-ons piecemeal. Based on tradition we would freak if we had to pay for every individual texture set included in a payware product. But as the music industry finally figured out people don't want every song on the album, just a couple. Same with DLC via Steam. And now apparently via some third party FSX developers as well. When you think about it this is really no different from all the FSX developers scrambling a couple years ago to say their FSX stuff also works in P3D. But this is probably an unnecessary way to include the term "DLC" in the description.

Why the cost for both DLC parts would be higher than the standalone FSX version is a mystery to me and probably just bad math. In some cases it might be sufficient to only have the bare minimum single aircraft/single texture but that goes against years of flightsim tradition. Personally I think the combined cost should match the price of the regular "everything included" FSX package.

I am by no means defending this strategy. I think it is just updated marketing to address a new target audience. I first learned about it on the front page of flightsim like everyone else. At first I misread DLC and thought it said DSC. I thought to myself this is excellent news; now maybe I can start being paid long overdue royalties for my textures on items still in the catalog and still selling (and those that have been removed but were not compensated for either). I hope this works out for Phil. Maybe it will allow him to make good on old promises.

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Don't hold your breathe waiting for an answer. ...................................
    I am by no means defending this strategy. I think it is just updated marketing to address a new target audience. I first learned about it on the front page of flightsim like everyone else. At first I misread DLC and thought it said DSC. I thought to myself this is excellent news; now maybe I can start being paid long overdue royalties for my textures on items still in the catalog and still selling (and those that have been removed but were not compensated for either). I hope this works out for Phil. Maybe it will allow him to make good on old promises.
    Haven't laughed so much in ages Frank. Please give up my sides hurt.
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Haven't laughed so much in ages Frank. Please give up my sides hurt.
    I feel you pain Frank. That's why I parted company, nothing was going to change.

Members who have read this thread: 3