Aeroplane Heaven new Grumman F3F-2! - Page 8
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven new Grumman F3F-2!

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Okay, I figured it out. When I select cart start #25, then I use the same bottom button to start the plane I hear the shotgun and then it starts. I guess when you select elect
    or cart start, the bottom start button is automatically configures as a elect/shotgun start. I had it set in elect start and lowered the #25 knob to manual start then tried the upper
    button and there is where I realized what was going on. That one lower start button acts as a duel purpose start button when you either select #25 to elect or manual start.
    That one start button acts as either elect/manual starter button based on which setting #25 is in was not clear enough for me to pick up on. The upper button is moot and will not
    function as a starter button. Don't know why two start button were needed when the bottom one will convert to a electric switch or manual when you select the type of start you want (#25).
    So I have had my Ah ha moment and all works well.

The correct start procedure is to select electric or manual using the star knob, up or down. Then flip the starter cover up revealing the start button. Press and hold the button down until the engine fires.

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    I am planning on getting this just to do the Grumman Gulfhawk scheme.
    Well I look forward to it, thank you....and just to kick them out of the way, to any naysayers wanting to comment on the lack of cowling blisters or any other such, please just let it go...give it a rest...and similar
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

One small sound issue. I added that minimum_Speed entry as per Tufun, then after a start up, in the spot view, I can hear the wind sound till I cycle the "P" pause key briefly and then the
    wind roar is gone leaving on the engine sounds. I think the sounds refresh when the "P" key is cycled/pressed. Must be a FSX bug.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Well I look forward to it, thank you....and just to kick them out of the way, to any naysayers wanting to comment on the lack of cowling blisters or any other such, please just let it go...give it a rest...and similar
    Don't forget the bomb rack, tail hook, smaller cowl, shorter wings, no gun sight, no guns, etc, etc, ....

Gulfhawk is my favorite version from the old Barrel!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Taking out the wind sound

I renamed the c4wind4.wav to bak and comment out (//) the // Wind Sounds
    and I STILL can hear it. What do I have to do to so that I don't
    hear it at all?

I renamed the c4wind4.wav to bak and comment out (//) the // Wind Sounds
    and I STILL can hear it. What do I have to do to so that I don't
    hear it at all?
    Is this a sound that you hear while the engines are running or after shutdown? The reason I ask is because I had a LOUD sound in the VC and more subdued sound in the external view but only during engine runs. If it was shutdown I didn't have it. Turned out (with Ted's help) it was the "whine.wav" file in the F3F sound folder. When I pulled that file the roar went away.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Is this a sound that you hear while the engines are running or after shutdown? The reason I ask is because I had a LOUD sound in the VC and more subdued sound in the external view but only during engine runs. If it was shutdown I didn't have it. Turned out (with Ted's help) it was the "whine.wav" file in the F3F sound folder. When I pulled that file the roar went away.
    I have same issues as you described. Think I will try that whine.wav file and see if that fixes it. Thanks.

Edit: Ahhh......That worked!!! Thanks again Falcon and Ted.

BTW, Do I still need to do this? Is this applicable?

Originally Posted by TuFun If you still have a roar sound when engine is shut down, try this... "minimum_speed=15.00" or any speed setting you like. Also, I change to c4wind4.wav that was in the F3F sound folder.

Located in the F3F sound folder in the sound.cfg file.

// Wind Sounds __________________________________________________ ______________

[WIND_SOUND]
    filename=c4wind4
    flags=0
    viewpoint=1
    rparams=16.000000,0.660000,120.000000,0.910000
    vparams=0.000000,0.000000,15.500000,7.200000,80.30 0003,14.800000,130.899994,20.400000,160.800003,30. 600000,190.699997,35.200001,210.199997,40.799999,2 40.000000,42.000000
    minimum_speed=15.00

I have same issues as you described. Think I will try that whine.wav file and see if that fixes it. Thanks.

Excellent!!

Coffman engine starter

Saw this and thought about the shot gun starter on the F3F

The Coffman device used a large Blank_cartridge containing Cordite that, when fired, pushed a piston forward. A screw thread driven by the piston engaged with the engine, turning it over. This was in contrast with other type of cartridge starter which acted directly to drive the engine piston down and so turn the rest of the engine over, such as those used on the Field Marshall agricultural diesel tractor.
    Shotgun starters had several advantages over other starting systems in use at the time. Electric starters required large, heavy, and often troublesome batteries to be carried on board, or external charging equipment had to be located at every place where the vehicle was anticipated to operate. Inertia starters used a heavy wheel, usually made of brass, which was spun by a hand crank or electric motor, causing the spinning wheel to engage the starter ring gear. The Coffman system was more lightweight and compact than inertial starters or internal batteries, and it did not require any special auxiliary equipment, an important feature when operating in remote areas.
    The primary disadvantages of the shotgun starter are the need to keep a stock of cartridges, one of which is used for each attempt to start, and the short time that the motor is spun by each cartridge. Compressed-air starters, which use the same type of motor, are usually recharged by an engine-driven compressor, negating the need to carry cartridges, but adding requirements for the compressor and air tank. Hybrid systems can be made simply by adding a cartridge breech or an air tank to an existing system. Air tanks can also be recharged from an external source in an emergency, such as a hand pump or a portable air compressor.
    The Coffman starter was the most common brand of cartridge starters during the mid-1930s, and the name was used as a generic description. Advances in electrical technology have made shotgun starters obsolete for most uses.

video is of a wildcat but the shotgun starter was use in a few other aircraft as well. I remember the flight of the phoenix, Jimmy Stewart had a few cartridge to start the phoenix.

Any news on when us third world citizens governed by the brussels fatcats can expect a working download link.

Cheers English Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Any news on when us third world citizens governed by the brussels fatcats can expect a working download link.

Cheers English Chris
    I think it's already been pretty well established that Aeroplane Heaven has no more control over when it's uploaded than you or I do do really. You could probably contact the website you plan to purchase from and make an inquiry but as I found out with FSPilotShop, they work on their own schedule and when they are ready to post it they will, not before. When the Swift was released, it was three days before they posted it for sale despite having received the file and notification from AH on the day of release. They won't be hurried, they won't be shamed into improving their system and it doesn't bother them in the least. The sad part is that people feel the need to hit AH for the delay and those folks have nothing to say about it. If you're upset (anyone who is still waiting) contact the website you purchase from and make your case with them, not Aeroplane Heaven.

Hi Falcon
    No I am not blaming AH because they can do no more over the release.It is just to be regretted their choice of vendors being very poor.

Just flight would have been much better and is in the UK.Pilotshop is in America and where PCaviator is I do not know.

It just demonstrates how useless the european union is.I understand they have not had their expenses audited for 18 years.

Cheers Chris

When I get a moment, I will write a small piece on the vendor/dev issues that currently prevail. Not here but probably on Facebook. What a lot of you guys won't know is the nightmare jungle that exists out there. For example, the Australian (where we are based) tax office has done a deal with the UK Tax office whereby we as purveyors of software have not only to accommodate VAT but also have to pay 5% royalty taxes if sold through a third party such as JF. This is not JF's fault, any more than it is ours but it does mean that for England as an example after the maths, we would probably have to raise the price by a substantial amount to cover costs and make a small profit.

To make the same gain we currently make from the F3F-2 for example, in one instance of a country, which will remain nameless, we would have to sell it for the equivalent of $30US.

We don't want that any more than you do. For 14 years we have prided ourselves on providing good quality affordable products to the customer.

This is why we do what we do. Believe me, we have not been idle in the search for the right setup.

BTW, Do I still need to do this? Is this applicable?

Originally Posted by TuFun If you still have a roar sound when engine is shut down, try this... "minimum_speed=15.00" or any speed setting you like. Also, I change to c4wind4.wav that was in the F3F sound folder.

Located in the F3F sound folder in the sound.cfg file.

// Wind Sounds __________________________________________________ ______________

[WIND_SOUND]
    filename=c4wind4
    flags=0
    viewpoint=1
    rparams=16.000000,0.660000,120.000000,0.910000
    vparams=0.000000,0.000000,15.500000,7.200000,80.30 0003,14.800000,130.899994,20.400000,160.800003,30. 600000,190.699997,35.200001,210.199997,40.799999,2 40.000000,42.000000
    minimum_speed=15.00
    I do not have whine sound issue in FSX or P3Dv2.5, only the wind issue. You can comment out the minimum_speed=15.00 and test to be sure if not needed.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    When I get a moment, I will write a small piece on the vendor/dev issues that currently prevail. Not here but probably on Facebook. What a lot of you guys won't know is the nightmare jungle that exists out there. For example, the Australian (where we are based) tax office has done a deal with the UK Tax office whereby we as purveyors of software have not only to accommodate VAT but also have to pay 5% royalty taxes if sold through a third party such as JF. This is not JF's fault, any more than it is ours but it does mean that for England as an example after the maths, we would probably have to raise the price by a substantial amount to cover costs and make a small profit.

To make the same gain we currently make from the F3F-2 for example, in one instance of a country, which will remain nameless, we would have to sell it for the equivalent of $30US.

We don't want that any more than you do. For 14 years we have prided ourselves on providing good quality affordable products to the customer.

This is why we do what we do. Believe me, we have not been idle in the search for the right setup.
    I think, under the circumstances, you have been quite professional and helpful. I hope this thread won't denigrate into negative discussions about taxes and governments.
    Most people understand the importance of both - what is typically lacking is patience and courtesy...so far cooler heads have prevailed here, though I don't know what the traffic has been like at your help desk, Baz...
    I hope the folks most impacted by the situation will be able to enjoy the F3F asap.
    enter..the Sandman

Curiously, we have very little activity at the help desk.

Curiously, we have very little activity at the help desk.
    well speaking for myself, I usually come here first if I have a problem...because this is where everyone congregates, and because I usually don't know if there is a problem with a given product...or its just me.
    Usually I can hash that out here pretty quick and also usually - its something I've done or a file issue on my PC that is the culprit - then I don't need to bother a help desk with a dumb question.

Maybe that's what a lot of people do - "hey I cant find this at the vendor listed...is it just me?" " hey I cant start this engine...just me?" etc...

Its good that you are here to do what you can to answer or define the answer where you can...makes everyone aware the AH brand is well represented.
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Don't forget the bomb rack, tail hook, smaller cowl, shorter wings, no gun sight, no guns, etc, etc, ....

Gulfhawk is my favorite version from the old Barrel!
    lol Ted - omitted intentionally just to see who....

FWIW - its my favorite version too
    enter..the Sandman

Talking of bombracks, remember that you can remove the bombs by using the ordnance quadrant low on the left side. It works like a car gearchange gate and once selected you use the drop lever on the rear of the unit to "drop" the bomb.

Talking of bombracks, remember that you can remove the bombs by using the ordnance quadrant low on the left side. It works like a car gearchange gate and once selected you use the drop lever on the rear of the unit to "drop" the bomb.
    I read that in the manual, where is the drop lever? I circled in yellow the bomb selector.

[QUOTE=gray eagle;948931]I read that in the manual, where is the drop lever? I circled in yellow the bomb selector.

Kind of hidden at the left front side of the pilots seat.

[QUOTE=gradyhappyg;948932]
    I read that in the manual, where is the drop lever? I circled in yellow the bomb selector.

Kind of hidden at the left front side of the pilots seat.
    Still looking for it. It is hidden that's for sure.

EDIT: I think I found it! RED arrow pointing at it.

yes - in the screenshots I posted you can see the empty racks "ACM strictly prohibited while ordinance or external fuel tanks are attached to the airframe" I think is the standard language...

the release knob is attached to the selector at the rear of its housing and is obscured by the front left corner of the pilots' seat pan

I was curious though, can the racks themselves be removed as well as the gun camera on the upper wing?...maybe in a patch they could be made optional? - since we're talking about removing objects rather than adding them, I don't know if that makes a difference
    enter..the Sandman

A little more work than just making them optional. The camera and racks cast shadows on other textures which means swapping out visibility conditions for wings top and bottom. Time is the main issue.

This one will be in the patch.

Members who have read this thread: 5