Weird CTD issue... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weird CTD issue...

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Well actually i dumped the multi-install method back when i upgraded the hard drive and expanded the sims/games partition. I now have multiple standalone installs, which i like sooo much better because i don't have to concern myself with batch files and so many other nuances associated with the method...its still a good idea if one is tight on disk space.

Temp files accumulate in the main CFS2 directory. They generate no error popups, just a benign popup that says the sim is rebuilding the scenery database.
    Thanks, BC.

With a large HDD in the Tb order, I agree it makes sense duplicating CFS2 as many times as how many war theatres one wishes to have. It will surely be my choice when I will be forced to retire my current pc. I guess tracking each theatre with separate installs is much simpler than the old, yet brilliant, Jean Bomber's method.
    Each time I decide for a change in such architecture, I have to plan long and hard well in advance what I will be doing and which area of the CFS2 legacy files it will affect, least watching the entire sim going on me!

Over the years, I expanded those batches so much that they, not only change aircrafts and sceneries around, but switch ground/water textures where I have two CFS2\TEXTURE directories, one with PTO textures only and one with ETO, or rest of the world, textures only. Moreover, remove PTO files like the stock airbases when switching to the ETO/MTO theatres, change object, vehicle and weapon libraries according to the theatre, change theatre object textures, change ship types and even AI external sounds, as in Korea where I did not like hearing piston engine sounds around me when I was flying jets dogfighting other jets.

I also did a small test a while ago in renaming the executable CFS2.exe, like for ex.: CFS2_ETO.exe. It works normally with no problems whatsoever and that would be my choice with different dedicated single installs. From my jurassic programming days, I still fear conflicts among applications running with the same executable filename, as I witnessed the most incredible things happening over the years, which made be doubt several times the postulate: 'Computer science is an exact science'.

MR:

I will attach one of those batch files for you.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    MR:

I will attach one of those batch files for you.

Cheers!
    KH
    Thanks KH! I look forward to it!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon9 Not yet....

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Thanks KH! I look forward to it!

MR
    Please don't loose your hopes, MR! In the last few days I was so busy that I could not even get close to my pc!

A promise is a promise.....

Cheers!
    KH

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    Please don't loose your hopes, MR! In the last few days I was so busy that I could not even get close to my pc!

A promise is a promise.....

Cheers!
    KH
    No worries KH. At your convenience is soon enough!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Here's an example MR:

del filelist.dat /s

Just copy to a new text file, save the txt as any name of your choosing -- delete.dat is appropriate. Put a *.bat extension on it instead of *.txt, like "delete.dat.bat". Drop it into the main directories of all your sim installs or "remote" scenery folders and you're good to go for batch deletions.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Anyone call for batch files?

Here are some for cleaning out the "filelist.dat" , ".CDP" and temp files
    Attachment 21301

This one I believe was a old LW clean outer;
    Attachment 21306

Here it is MR!

The batch I use to switch to my Early Pacific war. I have two theatres for early and late WWII in Europe (1939-43, 1943-45) and in the Pacific (1941-43, 1943-45).

Why two? So that I can have about 110 airplanes installed for each theatre, reflecting versions and proper repaints for each historical period. It raises the total up to 220 for the entire war.

I am thinking to fraction it even further, so that I can take advantage of the great trick taught to us by Cody Coyote, where it's possible editing missions manually and putting together different aircraft for the same flight.
    The immersion and realism factor raises a lot to me if I don't fly with wingmates wearing the same aircraft skin as mine, or I don't dogfight the same opponent over and over again.

Without the well known CFS2 limit of installed aircraft, all of the above would not be necessary.

Let me know if you need info or explanations about what I did.

Cheers!
    KH
    Attached Files Attached Files

Icon22

Bearcat241, Fibber and Kelticheart,

Thanks very much guys. I'll play around with them.

BTW, I finished the rework of the Rhumba-mesh-mask-dedicated DEI airfields- I believe these were in the 2008 and 2009 packs- and have moved onto the Japanese/Dutch airfields on Sulawesi (Celebes).

I have not made the pack available to the general-population but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you along what there is.

I am currently working on the the Langoan area of NE Sulawesi. Its is a grand location for an airfield. I've had fun doping out where the old runway was located. After reading through some fascinating personal journal excerpts and such I was able to pick out the location of the old runway in Google Earth. It has gone entirely back to rice paddies and cultivation but is still discernible. There was also a Seaplane base just a couple of miles north of the airfield on the south shore of Lake Tondano at a place called Kakas (Kalkas). 6 Dornier Do 24s were operating out of it doing reconnaissance patrols at the time of the Japanese attack on Manado, which included a paratroop drop on Langoan airfield, in January 1942. Somewhere along the south shore of the lake is a concrete t-shaped seaplane jetty that was built by the Dutch in the 1930s and still standing, undaunted to this day. I have yet to locate it though in googlearth. Find images of the jetty attached below. The lake and the airfield both sit at about 2300 feet elevation surrounded by volcanic peaks and what not. As I said, it is an excellent location for an afield!

Here is a link to a little online gallery of top-down screen shots of all the reworked DEI Irian-Jaya and Moluccas airfields- mainly to use as a reference for what these new sceneries are supposed to look like.

Cheers and thanks again for all of the batch file examples!
    MR

FYI Fibber, when I click on your links I get
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tonandanseaplanepier-02.jpg   tonandanseaplanepier-01.jpg   tonandanseaplanepier-00.jpg  

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon26 One interested right here!

.....I have not made the pack available to the general-population but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you along what there is.......

kelticheart@libero.it

Count me in!

Thank you!
    KH

Batch links.............

...Hmmmmmmmm, sorry MR, that shouldn't be. Let me see if I can hunt up the originals ans send them to you.

Lets see .......

If this works Attachment 21335

Dang........

........second one didn't attach properly.

Lets' see if this works; Attachment 21336

Lake tondano.........

......MR, I guess that I can safely assume you have seen these forums re; the seaplane base.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...m+Lake+Tondano

... http://www.network54.com/Forum/594514/thread/1202845676/Dornier+base+Tondano

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    ......MR, I guess that I can safely assume you have seen these forums re; the seaplane base.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...m+Lake+Tondano

... http://www.network54.com/Forum/594514/thread/1202845676/Dornier+base+Tondano

Hi Fibber,

Thanks for posting those links! I have visited both of them HOWEVER for some reason I had not picked up on the hint
    the Dutch seaplane base at Kakas, on the southwest end of Lake Tondano
    . I will now redouble my efforts looking in that corner of the lake. Excellent! Although it is noteworthy that the little "town" of Kakas is actually at the SE corner of the lake Plus the views in those photos make me think that it is on the SE side. We shall see, I hope!

The picture of the jetty with the guy walking on the left is from a personal blog site and she, the blogger, took the picture. I think I will email her and see if she can tell me just where on the lake it is located.

He also says in his blog posting that "There is also a bunker and a munitions dump just across the road" which leads me to believe that there is a road running right along the "shore" where it is located. What she identifies as an ammo bunker, a posting at the AWM identifies as a "generator plant" in the attached photo taken after the Japanese surrender.

Thanks!
    MR

PS The two links for the batch files worked fine, too. Thanks again! MR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generator-plant-kakas.jpg  

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR.........

...your more than welcome. I did see that some of the seaplane "bases" that were maintained by the Dutch at that time appeared to be bases in name only. Some appeared to be described as no more than a gas can (kidding) and some boats. No real infrastructure as we would expect for a base. I will,however, look for some more stuff if you want.

BTW: did the batch file links work for you?

Icon22

...your more than welcome. I did see that some of the seaplane "bases" that were maintained by the Dutch at that time appeared to be bases in name only. Some appeared to be described as no more than a gas can (kidding) and some boats. No real infrastructure as we would expect for a base. I will,however, look for some more stuff if you want.

BTW: did the batch file links work for you?
    Yes. Apprently this base too, while serving as an actual civilian stop before the war was actually nothing more than the jetty, a workshop and a place for flight crews to take a naps and refuel their planes. It was never a staging location for large operations. Although at the time of the Japanese attack on Manado, there were those six Do-24 flying recon flights from the "base".

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I have not made the pack available to the general-population but if anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you along what there is.

I'm in...seems like a good opportunity to replace the old. I have a Netzero mailbox listed in my SOH user profile. Thanks!

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

MR........

.....this may be far left field, but.... I looked here at Kakas.. http://www.maplandia.com/indonesia/s...inahasa/kakas/ by really zooming in it looks like abandoned tracts on the left side of the screen with some strange indentation (round appearing) with apparent overgrowth. Could be a stretch of imagination but craters?

Went back to the "54" site here; http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...m+Lake+Tondano

Scroll down to Jim Broshot. He gives a small descrip of the seaplane base. It appears to have been little more than a workshop.
    That book by Womack on the Dutch East India airforce may have some more in it.

Icon22

.....this may be far left field, but.... I looked here at Kakas.. http://www.maplandia.com/indonesia/s...inahasa/kakas/ by really zooming in it looks like abandoned tracts on the left side of the screen with some strange indentation (round appearing) with apparent overgrowth. Could be a stretch of imagination but craters?

Went back to the "54" site here; http://www.network54.com/Forum/59451...m+Lake+Tondano

Scroll down to Jim Broshot. He gives a small descrip of the seaplane base. It appears to have been little more than a workshop.
    That book by Womack on the Dutch East India airforce may have some more in it.

Not at all outside the bell-curve of probability. The area was bombed, by both sides, during the war.

Don't suppose you found any sign of the danged concrete seaplane jetty? ;^)

I posted a comment to Olive, the lady whose site it is, asking her to please identify just where along the perimeter of the lake the seaplane jetty is located. Hope I hear back from her.

Thanks for digging Fibber, I appreciate it.,

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Seaplane jetty....

....so far no luck on that but somethings have peaked my curiosity. The lake has evidently undergone some serious sediment problems over the years that might increase the shoreline as well as lessen the depth depending on current flow.
    If you look at the picture I referenced you will notice two strange things. On the lower right side there appears to be what looks like a lake-side removed concrete apron with a road leading to it. Second is on the left side of the shore there appears to be a open rectangle-cut indentation on the shore. Nature abhors straight lines and this appears to have them. That alone seems strange. Could it be the ramp and with google filling in the colors with water?
    Seems to be a dearth of info unless we delve in the Dutch Navy Archives.

I love this stuff...

Hey guys, if you would like another one to beat your brains out with, google earth the coordinates of this map in the attached file.
    I've been at it for several years now.
    The Pic was in a long lost pdf document a few hard drives back. I took a Print/Scrn of it from that doc and now have adjusted the contrast hoping for a better resolution.
    The name of the strip is Limboeng. Of course that name no longer applies in today's maps. Makes it even more fun.

For the life of me, I can not see an area where this airstrip would have been.
    At least now some more texts show on the map plus some rivers can be seen.
    From the looks of the picture, it seems it was originally a mosaic of several negatives.

Dave

Limbo.zip

Icon22

Wow. Dave. This is a mystery well worth delving into. I spent a good deal of time early this morning trying to pinpoint this location. There just doesn't seem to be anything down in what the title box calls SW Celebes that matches up. There is a Limboeng over in the SW corner of Borneo. But the terrain around it doesn't look anything like this. The only airfield of note, that I am aware of down in that part of Celebes was/is in the SW corner of Sulawesi (Celebes) at Makassar. And the jumbled-up terrain around and east of Makassar certainly looks like it could contain this set up of runways some where. I am wondering if perhaps theis complex of airstrips sits today under the runways and taxiways of Hasanuddin airport up NE of town?

It would definitely be a great build. I have Makassar airfield on my list of Sulawesi airfield to do but hadn't yet started researching it.

Its odd that Limboeng, spelled just like that, is not present anywhere around in SW Sulawesi (Celebes) but is present in SW Borneo. It has been more my experience that while the names and locations of airfields may come and go, the names of the little villages and towns usually don't change all that much. And it was not at all unusual for operational the map makers at HQ to get the locations and names wrong. The pilots would just go to where ever the brass told them to go. They didn't check to see if the names of the places on the maps were correct.

Great find! It's a "Where's Waldo" puzzle, on steroids!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

....so far no luck on that but somethings have peaked my curiosity. The lake has evidently undergone some serious sediment problems over the years that might increase the shoreline as well as lessen the depth depending on current flow.
    If you look at the picture I referenced you will notice two strange things. On the lower right side there appears to be what looks like a lake-side removed concrete apron with a road leading to it. Second is on the left side of the shore there appears to be a open rectangle-cut indentation on the shore. Nature abhors straight lines and this appears to have them. That alone seems strange. Could it be the ramp and with google filling in the colors with water?
    Seems to be a dearth of info unless we delve in the Dutch Navy Archives.
    Hi Fibber,

Can you give me the coords of the location you are speaking of?

And yes, the lake has a very curious shoreline in that much of it seems to be floating vegetation and I don't think GoogleEarth quite knows what to do with it. It you notice the pictures I posted of the jetty, in the earlier images the jetty it well out past the shoreline but as time goes by the T-bone at the end is the only part still freely in the water.

Thanks!
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

dvslats...

...typed in Limboeng s\w celebes (Sulawesi) and got this as a response;
    Limbung, Kalebajeng, Bajeng, Kabupaten Gowa, Sulawesi Selatan 92152, Indonesia

Now the picture you have indicates a river with curvatures. No where near this is there a river named Gowani, there is a water flow now name "Sungai Takala" that has the same contours as that in your pdf.picture. Could be the same ? However there also appears to be a straightened water flow closer to the co-ords. Maybe the result of development and flood control? There appears to have been a purging of Dutch names replaced with local names. Only fair it is their country and language after-all. Will take a lot more x-referencing to find it.

MR; Sorry can't get the co-ordinates just yet. Don't have the capability on this rig, but if you go to http://www.maplandia.com/indonesia/s...inahasa/kakas/

and go to the bottom of the lake you will see what I mean. I may have mis-interpreted one side. What I thought was concrete on REALLY going in close may be google fill of a water tex at the spot.

On the "54" spot there is a in-depth post on that jetty and its description.
    Last edited by Fibber; March 27th, 2015 at 11:41. Reason: add. info

Icon22

You are better re-searcher than I. I see what you mean about the problem with the expanding shoreline. The Jetty could be right in the middle of some of the green stuff. Hopefully it has not been buried. I was still visible in 2012 but as noted the silt had encroached almost to the end of it. The one hint from that personal blog site is that the bunker was just across the road form the jetty. Which makes me think that there is a road close along what was once the shore and that the jetty is fairly close in to was once the shore on the other side of the road. .

Point taken about the names.

Really interesting discussion about cement, too, huh?

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 0