XFJ-2B Fury....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XFJ-2B Fury....

XFJ-2B Fury....

This has probably already been done but I couldn't find one and I wanted one!

Milviz's F-86F-30 disguised as an XFJ-2B Fury. Some obvious visual compromises have to be accepted but I can live with them.

1. The XFJ-2B had 1ea 20mm cannon each side - pretend like you don't notice the 3ea 50 cal gun troughs each side.
    2. The XFJ-2B had had the slatted wing - pretend like you don't notice the 6-3 hard wing.
    3. NO TAIL HOOK!

My apologies to all the purists out there, which usually includes me.

Anyway, here is a WIP shot with still lots to do. If there's enough interest out there I upload it when its done. Probably a little more that a week from now (out of town the rest of the week).

Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Wow! That's purdy.... You got my interest.

Section 86 has one planned. Maybe it'll be out 2 o'clock next summer for all that I know.

http://www.sectionf8.com/variants.html

I also found this thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8VF-154%29-zip

I found a Navy FSX version here.

Part of the readme:

FJ-3 U.S. NAVY

Support a Mercy Flight near you I am a Mercy Flight Volunteer Pilot

This aircraft has a 2D and 3D Panel By Bob Chicilo Do not profit from this Aircraft Pkg.

This aircraft has lots of animated goodies .. Tail Hook actually drops the wing tanks .. Wings fold actually puts the aircraft in parking mode ..

http://www.fs2000.org/2013/03/03/fsx-us-navy-fj-3-fury/

Love it!

I will definitely add that one to the hangar deck.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    This has probably already been done but I couldn't find one and I wanted one!

Milviz's F-86F-30 disguised as an XFJ-2B Fury. Some obvious visual compromises have to be accepted but I can live with them.

1. The XFJ-2B had 1ea 20mm cannon each side - pretend like you don't notice the 3ea 50 cal gun troughs each side.
    2. The XFJ-2B had had the slatted wing - pretend like you don't notice the 6-3 hard wing.
    3. NO TAIL HOOK!

My apologies to all the purists out there, which usually includes me.

Anyway, here is a WIP shot with still lots to do. If there's enough interest out there I upload it when its done. Probably a little more that a week from now (out of town the rest of the week).

Steve that kicks ass. THere is a navy FJ repaint that is dark blue, and there is a Marine FJ repaint out there as well, gray this time. I have both but dont remember who did the work. However, Please keep up doing these! Looks FANTASTIC. You could edit the AC config to create a virtual tail hook I spose. I have landed an F-86 on a FSX carrier, but most of the time I wind up boltering or running off the end!

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

I also found this thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...8VF-154%29-zip

Yup. thats the blue one. Here is the Marine one.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

Section 86 has one planned. Maybe it'll be out 2 o'clock next summer for all that I know.
    Thanks Butch. I may be wrong but I believe the SF8 F-86 is, unfortunately, it for that group.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    Love it!

I will definitely add that one to the hangar deck.
    Glad you like it, Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Steve that kicks ass. There is a navy FJ repaint that is dark blue, and there is a Marine FJ repaint out there as well, gray this time. I have both but dont remember who did the work. However, Please keep up doing these! Looks FANTASTIC. You could edit the AC config to create a virtual tail hook I spose. I have landed an F-86 on a FSX carrier, but most of the time I wind up boltering or running off the end!
    Hey Eric, thanks. I may try to "draw" a hook if I can make it look better with it than without it. At least you will be able to see a retracted hook in flight if I can make it look ok.

I chose the XFJ-2 because it was the closest thing to a "navalized" F-86F. If I understand correctly the XFJ-2s were F-86F frames. So, these will probably be the only FJs from me since, to me, the F-86F and the later mark FJs were not visually close.
    Duckie

I chose the XFJ-2 because it was the closest thing to a "navalized" F-86F. If I understand correctly the XFJ-2s were F-86F frames. So, these will probably be the only FJs from me since, to me, the F-86F and the later mark FJs were not visually close.
    Man, whatever. They look GREAT. Glad to see this bird getting the Bryant treatment. And little bird is well pleased as well and will wait longer for the NAWC QF... :-)

See here is where I also miss green putty. I would have filled in those gun troughs and made the cannon holes... then sprue'd in the arresting hook!

...See here is where I also miss green putty. I would have filled in those gun troughs and made the cannon holes... then sprue'd in the arresting hook!
    Man, I know how you feel! No green putty here. Cut that whole gun panel out and put in a new piece of plastic with the correct set up with brass tube cut and set for the gun trough. Then, look through the model closet and find something with an adaptable tail hook and well. On, and on, and on, etc. Sometime I do feel kinda helpless as just a painter!
    Duckie

I got some Fury paints from I think FlightSim for the Section 86 Sabre. They have alterations to have the 4 cannon nose and look very good. No hooks though.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I got some Fury paints from I think FlightSim for the Section 86 Sabre. They have alterations to have the 4 cannon nose and look very good. No hooks though.
    And very smart looking they are too! The Section 8 bird has the gun troughs painted on rather than modeled in 3D like the Milviz bird. So, it's rather straightforward to paint on the desired gun configuration of the Section 8 bird.
    Duckie

These are all cool prototypes. The PAX river NATC birds are particularly interesting.

Great graphic, all good candidates.
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Hello Steve and other like-minded naval nuts ...

I admit to saying over the last few months being tired and bored of our hobby in general, in large part to growing immaturity and a lessening signal:noise ratio here on SOH. It felt good to focus on my other hobbies and family and just forget FSing for a while.

However, between the release of the new Forrestal class boat, and these "naval" F-86s, I felt compelled to at least pop in and say hi - and say how lovely these repaints are. Just as I was unspeakably grateful when Grady did that Marine FJ-4 style VMF-451 paint, I have to go on record and say how thrilled I am with Steve doing these other renditions. My prediction is we'll never see a premium-grade, true FJ-2/3/4 in this sim ever, so these paints are lovely additions to MV's beautifully done model.

So thanks Steve and co., I'll peek in from time to time...

dl

Ahoy, everyone! I had a semi-related afterthought after reading dl's post. Does anyone know of a way to launch/trap these Sabres (Milviz and Sectionf8)? I'm using FSX/Acceleration. If someone has already posted elsewhere, a kind nudge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back to patiently waiting for the paint!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Blog Entries
    Ahoy, everyone! I had a semi-related afterthought after reading dl's post. Does anyone know of a way to launch/trap these Sabres (Milviz and Sectionf8)? I'm using FSX/Acceleration. If someone has already posted elsewhere, a kind nudge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back to patiently waiting for the paint!
    Naturally, this aircraft model has neither the "physical" attributes (arrestor gear or correct nose landing gear) that the FJ-2 had (to say nothing of the enlarged air intake, different canopy, different engine, wing fold etc. for realistic naval ops - but you can add "virtual" carrier capability by adding the launch assist and arrestor hook entries into the aircraft.cfg.

These are examples only, from the the F/A-18 - so likely way off in terms of remotely realistic handling - but to get the conversation going, here you go:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -1.0
    launch_bar_lug = 5.0, 0.0, -4.5

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length = 4.5
    tailhook_position = -49.0, 0, -2.5

Just looking at these entries, I can tell the hook position would likely need to brought further forward and down ... but am not at my sim pc to confirm.

dl

Thanks, dl. I certainly recognize all those factors, but was just wondering if it were possible for a 'flight of fancy,' so to speak.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Blog Entries
    You're welcome.

With those entries, you can launch/trap anything aboard a moving FSX carrier, regardless of whether they have the visible parts.

I should have added that it's important, esp with the tailhook entries, to make some edits to make sure the aircraft behaves well on deck. Often the runout is too short and abrupt, with violent pitch/roll behavior - so playing with these really makes for a more realistic and enjoyable carrier flying experience. Even on truly naval aircraft, these dynamics are done much better by some developers than others. Ironically, I find (and just my opinion) that some of the best have been the freeware devs - Dino's S-3, and all the Royale French Navy / Restauravia French Aeronavale planes (Fouga Zephyr Trainer, Etendard attack aircraft, etc.) are just superb on deck - better than the Virtavia and some of the Razbam models. The Razbam T-2 is really good, too, though.

If I get some time this weekend, I'll try and adapt those edits to the MV model.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hello Steve and other like-minded naval nuts ...

I admit to saying over the last few months being tired and bored of our hobby in general, in large part to growing immaturity and a lessening signal:noise ratio here on SOH. It felt good to focus on my other hobbies and family and just forget FSing for a while.

However, between the release of the new Forrestal class boat, and these "naval" F-86s, I felt compelled to at least pop in and say hi - and say how lovely these repaints are. Just as I was unspeakably grateful when Grady did that Marine FJ-4 style VMF-451 paint, I have to go on record and say how thrilled I am with Steve doing these other renditions. My prediction is we'll never see a premium-grade, true FJ-2/3/4 in this sim ever, so these paints are lovely additions to MV's beautifully done model.

So thanks Steve and co., I'll peek in from time to time...

dl
    Hey dl, great to see you back in here. I thought I'd been missing seeing you in here for a while. Can't say I disagree with your stated reason(s) for being away. Sometimes it's all I can manage to keep my opinions to myself. When that happens is when I usually hit the "close current page" button and find something to research and paint.

Glad you like the project and hope to see you around a little more.

Steve
    Duckie

Can't say I disagree with your stated reason(s) for being away. Sometimes it's all I can manage to keep my opinions to myself.
    I know exactly where you guys are coming from, and mostly just lurk myself. Nothing turns me off more than a flame war. I do have a passion for naval aviation, though, and greatly appreciate the work anyone is willing to do in that area. I don't have the skills to paint or tweak, but am thankful for those that do. Props to everyone who helps keep this hobby going! I'm not a rivet-counter or purist, and really get a kick out of "what-ifs." If it floats your boat, go for it, I always say.

I don't care if the hardware is there or not, I'm just happy to see that naval aviation is represented.

dl - really appreciate your effort to find some configs that might work. Thanks!

Duckie - really appreciate your painting efforts. I already have your Rampant Raiders paints for the Virtavia A-4. Nice!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Hey Duckie, little bird wants to know when that Faux Fury is gonna hit the upload?

Turn over your purist card.... 😄
    Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me

Pantera

Duckie - really appreciate your painting efforts. I already have your Rampant Raiders paints for the Virtavia A-4. Nice!
    Thanks Craig. So glad you like 'em.

Hey Duckie, little bird wants to know when that Faux Fury is gonna hit the upload?
    Eric, tell that little birdie that, while this is no promise, there is a good chance it will be up sometime later in the weekend. Couple of trickie (to me anyway) color match problems I had to spend more time on than I anticipated and still got one more to navigate. But, thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSHQ View Post
    Turn over your purist card.... 
    Duckie

Getting close...looking it over with a magnifying glass looking for errors and omissions. Should be up by sometime late afternoon Sunday, then on to the other 2 XFJ-2s, 754 and 755.

Duckie

Looking fabulous!!!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Members who have read this thread: 3