FSX Steam addition question

Thread: FSX Steam addition question

FSX Steam addition question

Steam addition FSX has been out for awhile and I am thinking of getting it to avoid all the usual FSX re-install mess. I want to know from those that have it if it works ok and if there are any problems adding planes, scenery, missions and other user made or pay add on's.

I've now 173+ hours on the Steam edition, nearly all the way the world with some sight seeing and no issues so far

thanks,
    Lewis

Members +
    There does seem to be a few issues, as reported on the Steam site. Check there for more reviews & info.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've become a big fan of FSX-SE, I don't know what they've done to it (an article in PC Pilot said that they'd re written some code) but I'm getting almost twice the frame rates that I'd got with the boxed edition. I think it runs better than P3D v2.5 which I also have installed.
    The only real problem that I've had is that I can't get the ASN SP2 Beta to run on either FSX-SE of P3D despite it being compatible. I think it caused such graphics problem that at one stage I believed my graphics card was buggered, but un installed it from both sims and everything now appears fine.

Ian

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    The only problem I've had so far was with FsHost; FsX:SE comes with a new version of simconnect which isn't backwards compatible with older add-ons. Inside FsX (FsX/Steamapps/common/FsX/SDk/Core Utilities Kit/Simconnect SDK/LegacyInterfaces/) you will find three folders with installers for older versions of simconnect. Install all three solved my problems. These are installed standard with the boxed version but not with the Steam Edition.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    The only problem I've had so far was with FsHost; FsX:SE comes with a new version of simconnect which isn't backwards compatible with older add-ons. Inside FsX (FsX/Steamapps/common/FsX/SDk/Core Utilities Kit/Simconnect SDK/LegacyInterfaces/) you will find three folders with installers for older versions of simconnect. Install all three solved my problems. These are installed standard with the boxed version but not with the Steam Edition.

Thanks that might answer another question I had which was will Instant Mission Maker work with Steam addition. I am sure it requires simconnect.

Another thing, will the DX10 Fixer work?

I also read that some users experience lower fps with the Steam version?

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    I also read that some users experience lower fps with the Steam version?

Am thinking such reports are the exception, rather than the rule. Most, I believe, are reporting higher FPS rates! NC

I have seen several questions like this, and I am glad to see the positive responses.

One response above made me wonder. (the 173hr response).

Is it possible or easy to move your data over to the Steam edition so that you don't lose all your hours/accomplishments?
    I apologize if this has been answered. My internet browsing has been limited at best lately.

Members +
    FSX:SE must be on-line to play!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrittMac View Post
    I have seen several questions like this, and I am glad to see the positive responses.

One response above made me wonder. (the 173hr response).

Is it possible or easy to move your data over to the Steam edition so that you don't lose all your hours/accomplishments?
    I apologize if this has been answered. My internet browsing has been limited at best lately.
    As far as I'm aware yes, but obviously keep backups. Most aircraft and scenery's are just a straight transfer across, you cab even copy the entries from your scenery.cfg file so you don't have to reinstall all your scenery again. It becomes a little more complicated with more "advanced" aircraft where you may need to start copying entries from the dll file etc.

Ian

I'm not sure about moving the old stuff over. I took it as a chance to start a fresh, now have 179hours and finally made it to PAK from EGSM via India and Tonga with quite a few stops lol

This is interesting,,,mostly positive comments here but if you check the comments on the Steam sale page most are very negative.

Interesting though where are you looking?

On the steam FSX page 80% are positive reviews;
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

thanks,
    Lewis

Hi Lewis, I clicked on the 80 percent positive button and found mostly negative reviews. The reviews I would trust and use are here from guys like you that actually have it and have many hours in it. I am going to buy this and give it a try but might wait to see if they include it in their March sales.

Yes I see what you mean, but out of the thousands when 80% are positive from the steam gamer crowd about a flight sim its a pretty damn good figure. Oh and I just got around to installed those free ware Hawaii airfields packs 1-3 and they all went in just fine and work like a charm

I am mostly concerned with some software I use such as Instant Mission Maker and DX10 Fixer working in SE.

I am very interested to see what the new beta test on the 9th is all about and might buy sooner it just to participate in that.

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    This is interesting,,,mostly positive comments here but if you check the comments on the Steam sale page most are very negative.

could it be we here are more expert at flight sims than some of the folks at steam?..this is partly serious..and party tongue in cheek...

Oh in that case I can let you know that the latest Dx10 fixer update made it steam compatible. I'm running in dx10 mode with the latest update from Steve just fine. The steam edition like P3D doesn't seem to install the sim-connect but does ship with it so its a simple one click install after you have installed the program to get all that FSX SP2 compatibility.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the beta update does, fingers crossed!

cheers,
    Lewis

Members who have read this thread: 0